Hi Guys,

I have been playing guitar on and off for a few years. Trying to decide between getting pedals or a multi fx unit – not sure which way to go. Decent pedals might sound better but multi fx might be better bang for buck.

Main sounds I want are clean sound, to slight grit/crunch to an overdrive/distortion. Might even look at adding a volume boost for leads.

Pedal options – Wampler Ego Compression, Cmat mods Signa, Timmy – or ?
Multi Fx options – Vox Tonelab, Line 6 HD 500, Line 6 M9/13, Boss GT100 – or ?

Trying out the pedals before I buy is not an option where I live. The multi fx units are around here in stores. If I go pedals I will buy a pedal board for them.

Current Gear – Les Paul (stock), Marshall DSL 401, Orange Dual Terror (will be getting rid of 1 amp – not sure which yet)
Music Style – classic rock
Location – Western Australia

So – what do you think ? Pedals or Multi Fx ?
If you need to switch multiple effects simultaneously or switch between different settings quickly, get a decent MFX. If you are just switching one or two pedals on and use pretty much the same setting throughout the gig, go for individual pedals.
It depends on the complexity of your effects usage.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Sounds like you only want overdrive from that list, unless you were just giving an example. In that case, I would go with the individual pedals like Cath said. You can't go wrong with either the Timmy or Signa Drive.

Also, run your rig without a compressor first to see if you like it or not before blowing cash on one.
Well for distortion it looks like your amps should have you covered. A tubescreamer/overdrive pedal is almost always a usable pedal.

I use multi-effects myself just for the ease of setting up patches and switching between them with 1 button press. For my overdrive I still use a TS9 pedal though.

For example, I have my main tone. Distortion from my amp (it actually runs through a TS9, noise gate, then my amp and an EQ, but I digress) and no effects. Then for leads I can set up a patch that is slightly louder in volume (without having to use a volume pedal), change the eq, and add some effects all with 1 button press.

It really depends on what you need it to do I guess. My set up is a mix of pedals and a multi-effects unit. For your style just a few simple pedals may do the trick.

Just my 2 cents.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Yes - overdrive/distortion are the key effects I want - anytghing else is just an added bonus.

Think I might head along the pedal line - as it just seems easy to plug and play and I dont tend to change a lot during songs. What I might do though before I spend any money on pedals is go down to a local store and try a few multi fx units and see what I think.

Thanks for the feedback
Using a multi effect unit can be a good way of figuring out which effects you actually use before switching to separate pedals. Even if you don't end up using it as part of your main kit in the long run, you've got a fun toy for experimenting with
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
You have a DSL401, one of my favourite Marshalls. If I were you I'd sort that out properly first (read correct tubes and speaker) and then grab a couple of od/boost pedals. You may find that you won't be looking for a compressor if you start boosting your amp. That introduces more compression right off the bat.
A tubescreamer type of thing. Actual tubescreamers cut a bit too much bass for one of those. Either get a TS clone and mod it (one capacitor) or buy a TS with a bass control like a Bad Monkey or Green Rhino.
As well go for something nice like a Timmy or even a Klon clone.
I'd also throw a Signa Drive into the mix or an MXR 10 band EQ.
What else would you need, maybe a chorus? Pretty small board and would sound epic.

But seriously, sort out the amp. A well set up DSL401 is a thing of beauty.

Edit. You're Australian so this is the speaker for you. They're made in Melbourne.
http://www.melbournemusiccentre.com.au/product/lorantz-12-75w-16ohm-speaker-57135/
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 18, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard

Edit. You're Australian so this is the speaker for you. They're made in Melbourne.
http://www.melbournemusiccentre.com.au/product/lorantz-12-75w-16ohm-speaker-57135/

Many thanks for the advice and this speaker link. I have been toying with replacing the DSL speaker. So I think I will follow your advice replace speaker/tubes and spend more time with the amp before I get any pedals.
Just one thing to be aware of; those Lorantz speakers take a while to break in. It was a month or two before the one I use my 18W'ers through loosened up properly. It's a 30W version which is truer to an actual greenback than the bigger ones but the same cone material.

And JJ tubes. ECC83S and EL84. Don't bother with anything else unless you are prepared to go NOS.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification