So for the past few months I've have been having problems with the nut coming off the input jack for my epiphone les paul whenever I plug the cable into it. I always have to put the nut back on a retighten it and it is starting to get really annoying. I've had performances where I had to get someone to find a screwdriver so I calls take the back plate off and fix it. And sometimes I have to repeat the process several times.

Does anyone have any knowledge of how to fix this? (I don't really have the money to take it into a shop)
Thanks!
if the nut is coming loose on your out-put jack , try putting some clear finger nail polish on the threads and then re-instal the nut , when the nail polish dries the nut should stay in place
How about just doing the thing up tight enough next time!?! A socket spanner would do well but failing that just use some pliers. It's not even a remotely hard job.
Quote by NotTheMessiah30
How about just doing the thing up tight enough next time!?! A socket spanner would do well but failing that just use some pliers. It's not even a remotely hard job.

Oh I've absolutely never thought of putting it on tight. I thought that just using one thread of the nut would be plenty. Thank you for your wisdom kind sir.

Now would anyone that isn't a complete ****ing dumbass like to answer the question?
Quote by Fumble fingers
if the nut is coming loose on your out-put jack , try putting some clear finger nail polish on the threads and then re-instal the nut , when the nail polish dries the nut should stay in place

Would I be able to remove it after that though? Like what if I needed to take it off for some reason?
get a locking washer..problem solved...every epi or guitar I have owned eventually had the input jack washer replaced with a locking one. A guitar tech guy told me that trick and its worked sense...my worst one was the Ibanez Artcores...the input falling into a hollow body really sucks lol!
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
get a locking washer..problem solved...every epi or guitar I have owned eventually had the input jack washer replaced with a locking one. A guitar tech guy told me that trick and its worked sense...my worst one was the Ibanez Artcores...the input falling into a hollow body really sucks lol!

Thank you! Finally some helpful advice!
Quote by RRandThrash97

Now would anyone that isn't a complete ****ing dumbass like to answer the question?

Would a complete ****ing dumbass be offered a PhD in computer science?? No, didn't think so....

Anyway, I didn't mean to come across as patronizing, it was just that sometimes people don't do these things properly in fear of doing damage is all. I didn't mean to wind you up, was just covering the simple bases is all, so there's no need to be so damn rude!
Quote by NotTheMessiah30
Would a complete ****ing dumbass be offered a PhD in computer science?? No, didn't think so....

Anyway, I didn't mean to come across as patronizing, it was just that sometimes people don't do these things properly in fear of doing damage is all. I didn't mean to wind you up, was just covering the simple bases is all, so there's no need to be so damn rude!

your PHD has nothing to do with tightening an input jack on a guitar...dont flaunt a degree useless to the question. I've had ALOT of input jacks that overtime have come lose EVEN when I've tightened the @#$% out of them...for someone with a PHD you did come off as a dumb ass.
Quote by RRandThrash97
Oh I've absolutely never thought of putting it on tight. I thought that just using one thread of the nut would be plenty. Thank you for your wisdom kind sir.

Jesus, dude, relax. He was trying to help you, so don't be a dick about it.

His suggestion may have come off wrong, with all the punctuation and whatnot, but it doesn't deserve that reaction.
OffsetOffset
Last edited by SteveHOC at May 17, 2013,
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
your PHD has nothing to do with tightening an input jack on a guitar...dont flaunt a degree useless to the question. I've had ALOT of input jacks that overtime have come lose EVEN when I've tightened the @#$% out of them...for someone with a PHD you did come off as a dumb ass.

I merely didn't like that I was being referred to as a dumb ass, especially when all I was really trying to do was offer the simplest solution, hence the retort. Although I see your point about the relevance, and perhaps should have played a card in relation to the duration of my playing instead. Anyway, all too many times have I seen people afraid to tighten a nut or screw in case they caused damage, and this is why I made the post about just tightening the crap out of it in the first place.
Quote by SteveHOC
Jesus, dude, relax. He was trying to help you, so don't be a dick about it.

His suggestion may have come off wrong, with all the punctuation and whatnot, but it doesn't deserve that reaction.

Thanks, dude. Yeah I probably did come off wrong there but I wasn't trying to annoy anyone. I see the guy is only 16 though so it's no problem, I was kind of the same back then myself in fairness.
Quote by NotTheMessiah30

Sorry man, I just assumed you were some stupid dick trying to be funny, seeing as that's alot of the people on here.
Quote by NotTheMessiah30
Thanks, dude. Yeah I probably did come off wrong there but I wasn't trying to annoy anyone. I see the guy is only 16 though so it's no problem, I was kind of the same back then myself in fairness.

And my age really has nothing to do with it. I just don't like people who act like jerks, which is what I thought you were doing. But now that we have all of that cleared up we can all move on now
the nail polish will work like a lock-washer, it will come off fine when time to come off , the nut still needs to be tightened properly .... as far as nail polish , its just a "easy to get" house hold product that works and is available , mom or girl freind should have you covered : )
Wow I see UG hasn't changed since I've left. Locking washer is best simplest solution IMO if you've tried tightening the shit out of it. Loctite on the thread also works but is overkill. The nail polish idea is great and I've never thought of that. As far as removing the nail polish for replacing the input if necessary. There's always acetone (could probably really **** up your guitars finish though so DON'T try it).
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~