So, I just finished painting my guitar after sanding it down really well. Got a few good base coats on, and a good amount of clearcoat. How long should I wait for the clearcoat to cure to the point where I could polish it and put the hardware back on? I don't really need the thing to come out perfect, it's kind of a beater guitar that I just wanted to have a little project with.
how long does it say on the bottle?
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Dont have the can on me and I don't believe it actually gave a handling time on the can, or that'll it'll factor in that I want to polish. Its essentially dry to touch in a couple days, but I wanna know when I'll actually be able to handle it and use it without too much worry of messing the paint up.
Anyone have any recommendations on what kind of polish, specifically I could buy and use for it?

Edit: Also, while I had it hanging to dry and cure, someone with impatient fingers that lives at the house couldn't help but touch it a day after I put the last coat of clear on. There's a bit of a smudge on it from that, will that come out with some polishing?
Last edited by 98Vendetta at May 20, 2013,
Quote by SerpentineGtars
Depends how deep. A "bit of a smudge" might well sand out before you get to the polishing stage, something deep might not.

It doesn't look that bad. It looks like they just barely touched it and is only visible in certain lighting. What grit should I sand with and what polish should I use then?
Quote by 98Vendetta
It doesn't look that bad. It looks like they just barely touched it and is only visible in certain lighting. What grit should I sand with and what polish should I use then?

If its not bad and barely can be seen then just leave it. Dont sand or anything before the minimum cure time. Put an electric fence around it to stop prying fingers

After cure time, lightly sand out the affected area with 800 grit. You don't want to remove lots of finish. You just want to flatten the blemish out.

Then you will just need to 800 grit over the whole guitar finish anyway, followed by 1000 then 1500 / 2000 grit before using a fine cut cream polish and buff.

I use Meguiars, but there are other cream cut polish and finishers which work just as well
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Last edited by Phoenix V at May 21, 2013,
Quote by 98Vendetta
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Accessories/Cleaners,_polishes,_lubricants/Preservation_Polish.html

Would this stuff work? It says preservation polish which kinda throws me off. Its either that or some 12 oz bottle of that Meguiars stuff I found, suggestions?

That stuff is the very last thing you apply after you have cut and polished and buffed to shiny guitar.

Jumping ahead of yourself
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Quote by Phoenix V
That stuff is the very last thing you apply after you have cut and polished and buffed to shiny guitar.

Jumping ahead of yourself

Yeah that's what I was thinking when I saw it, alright thanks.
One more question, what should I use for polishing? I have a cloth that's meant for it, but should I buy some pads or something too?