Hey guys, I've been writing a lot of material over the past year or so and I finally have enough to record an album. So far I have two songs that are nearly finished but I feel like they could use something more I'd love for any criticisms and advice you could give in regards to the mix, quality, what could be fixed, mastering, etc.

Here they are:
https://soundcloud.com/the-left-turns/dark-matters
NOTE: the second solo is intentionally a bit sloppy and dissonant

https://soundcloud.com/the-left-turns/the-immortal

I will C4C of course, thank you for any help you can provide!
Music must be honest to be timeless.
Last edited by boratian at May 19, 2013,
Pretty nice sounding mix! I like the songs too, really cool guitar work. My only criticism would be the drums, I think they're a little too synthetic sounding and need to be brought out more, but otherwise you did a great job, I'd love to hear these songs with some vocals!
Thanks! Yeah the drums are kind of an issue since they're programmed. I plan on lowering the kick drum a hair or two and bringing up and panning out the cymbals and toms. I'm using EZDrummer so I'm slightly limited as far as tonal/spacial control. Would you recommend more reverb on the toms or just higher volume?
/Woah, loving the chord progression on that first song.... very brooding and ominous... Not so much the overly low riff after. Scratch that, its catchy but for me personally, once a guitar is tuned down so low it loses some quality in the sound. But everything in that first song is there, the speed, the progression, the riffage. I'm guessing its tuned to dropG or B? Maybe bringing that up to C would give it a more bearable sound. Keep in mind this is just my opinion and there is nothing wrong with your music, it just doesnt fit my taste personally. If you like groove metal I'd def recommend some spiritual beggars if you havent already given them a listen. I ****ing love that band. Awesome use of piano in that track as well. But I think the keyboard melody would sound nicer on the guitar. Sick solo afterwards that though. Srsly, I'm pretty damn impressed with that first song.

Now for the second song...
I love the riff already, but maybe if the drums were a bit more driving itd add a ton to the track. However when they change with the riff its pretty.,...well generic metal drumming. As is the riff, but it slows down a bit things start to feel more traditional and enjoyable around a minute in. The double bass is pretty ****ing awesome and Im now headbanging to that section right before the solo. Damn....ok this song is pretty epic, especially with that riff and the ending solo is nice to, loving the shredding. Overall, great job on this!!

C4C? I covered a new Queens of the Stone Age song today on acoustic. Care to listen?
https://soundcloud.com/owen-griffin-1/fairweather-friends-queens-of
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll critique your stuff now.

The first song is actually a seven string tuned a half step down with the low B as an F#. It basically lets me have an 8 string minus having the 8th string. It's actually the only song I could write in this tuning as it's pretty awkward, but it's definitely Meshuggah influenced haha
I Agree that the mixing is very good!
As said, the drums sound synthetic and could use more volume, and EQ.
Everything sound good, tight, and clear.
Awesome sound writing and playing
I would try to get some reverb to some parts, and improve the piano tone.
Also try to improve the solos on Dark Matters
I liked Dark Matters more btw alot more unique and interesting

Please check out my original demo
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31410508
Quote by boratian
Thanks! Yeah the drums are kind of an issue since they're programmed. I plan on lowering the kick drum a hair or two and bringing up and panning out the cymbals and toms. I'm using EZDrummer so I'm slightly limited as far as tonal/spacial control. Would you recommend more reverb on the toms or just higher volume?

For the drums in general I would recommend raising the volume a little bit and just playing around with eq, compression, etc. to make them stand out a little more. I know it's tough sometimes with programmed drums, i have issues with that too. Would you mind critiquing my mix too? soundcloud.com/mask_of_sanity/through-arteries-lol-nice Thanks!
Quote by mask_of_sanity1
For the drums in general I would recommend raising the volume a little bit and just playing around with eq, compression, etc. to make them stand out a little more. I know it's tough sometimes with programmed drums, i have issues with that too. Would you mind critiquing my mix too? soundcloud.com/mask_of_sanity/through-arteries-lol-nice Thanks!

Very unexpected! It reminds me of a metal core band I've heard but I can't pinpoint it. The screaming vocals could be toned down a notch around the 2+ minute area, it starts to get pretty grating.

I really like the use of electronic elements, makes it alot more varied and dynamic. The song itself is really interestingly constructed, pretty cool progression overall!
Immortal has some really sweet hooks right off the bat. The intro's tone is a bit harsh by itself, but seems to sit well in the mix with everything else. A few parts could be a tad tighter, such as a few harmonies, but that's small stuff really. The groove are head-bangable and the leads are not only tasteful, but EQ'd well.

Also, though I hear your bass fine, how much do you tend to put in the final mix? Just curious.....I'm having trouble with bass lately so I have been leaving it out all together so far until I have a better grasp on how to mix it with drums and guitar properly.

C4C? https://soundcloud.com/endless_terror
Either of the 1st two songs would be much appreciated
Field of Terror: More gain and presence needed for the guitars for sure, they sound very weak and I can hear where you were going with the song. That being said your playing is great, very interesting song itself. The lack of bass definitely shows and I think your issue lies in having the guitars sound very thick and big. I used to fall into this same trap, but I found the key is to have the bass really fill in that low end. I try to keep the bass in the 30-290khz region, and the guitars in the 400-1200 area. This allows for a much more full and thick sound. Play around with the EQing, keeping one guitar prominent in the 400 and 600 areas, dropping a bit in the 500s, and put the other guitar in the 500 and 700+ regions more prominently. Have the bass fill in everything below that and you should have a bigger sound.

I'd also turn the drums up quite a bit, they're very balanced but not very prominent.
Thx for the advice.

I was wondering for a second why you reviewed my song in your thread.............then I saw that I put the link to my soundcloud page rather than my UG thread

Whoops. Thanks again