Hi UG,

I'm having trouble writing a song at the moment. I was wondering if any one can help me?

I want to keep the chorded section (the first thing that is played) but I can't figure out where to go next. I guess I'm kind of going for an Angels and Airwaves kind of feel.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks, Li

https://soundcloud.com/liam-banwell/a-quick-idea

P.S. This is a repost as I was told to move this thread to here.
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
We can't write your song because it's your song and we don't know exactly what you are after.

Coming up with parts that would fit it well is always hard. I have so many ideas that I just can't finish. But sometimes I come up with something that fits one of my ideas perfectly. Sometimes my songs just write themselves but most of my "songs" are just ideas that need developing.

But first I would maybe add other instruments and a vocal melody to make your idea sound better. A guitar riff is not a song.

If you are after some kind of feeling that you can hear in a certain song, maybe analyze that song. How does the song achieve that feeling and how could you achieve it?

Your next part should have something in common with the previous parts so that it flows and doesn't sound too out of place.

Do you know which part of the song your idea is? Is there a verse or a chorus or maybe a bridge? Will the next part you want the song to have be chorus or pre-chorus or something else?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
We can't write your song because it's your song and we don't know exactly what you are after.

Coming up with parts that would fit it well is always hard. I have so many ideas that I just can't finish. But sometimes I come up with something that fits one of my ideas perfectly. Sometimes my songs just write themselves but most of my "songs" are just ideas that need developing.

But first I would maybe add other instruments and a vocal melody to make your idea sound better. A guitar riff is not a song.

If you are after some kind of feeling that you can hear in a certain song, maybe analyze that song. How does the song achieve that feeling and how could you achieve it?

Your next part should have something in common with the previous parts so that it flows and doesn't sound too out of place.

Do you know which part of the song your idea is? Is there a verse or a chorus or maybe a bridge? Will the next part you want the song to have be chorus or pre-chorus or something else?

The part of the song is the chorus. I've never had trouble writing a song before but I've never started with the chorus until now. I've got everything except a verse (where the chorded bit ends) and just having trouble writing that.
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
My advice is don't be too precious about songs. Get it finished and move on to the next one. You can always come back to it at a later date if you feel it's that important. Many songwriters, including Bob Dylan, say that it's important to start and finish a song in one session if at all possible as it's hard to reconnect with the idea on a different day. Many compositions are written to deadlines too, maybe give yourself an imaginary deadline for the next to force your hand.
lol jesus look at that brickwall
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
lol jesus look at that brickwall

Jesus doesn't like walls.
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
If you can try to write a song about the true experience of you or another one. If write a song based on this story, this song can feel everyone as quickly.
Find iTailor website [forbidden link].
Just figured that I would point out how good that first riff actually is. Sounds like a song that can bring back memories for a listener and thats a good sign. Good job, keep working on it and im sure youll find what your aiming towards.
You have to figure out what you want to hear. Don't think of theory. Don't think of what might fit.

Play that section (and again, I like that section, it's good) again and again, and then stop. Wait. Listen. What do you WANT to hear next? Then try to find it on your instrument.
Quote by GNR1010
Just figured that I would point out how good that first riff actually is. Sounds like a song that can bring back memories for a listener and thats a good sign. Good job, keep working on it and im sure youll find what your aiming towards.

Thanks a bunch
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3