A few marks have recently appeared on my Gibson SG's (2002) headstock.
They appear only on the front side and seems to mostly originate around some of the tunning pegs.
I haven't noticed any cracks in the wood, only the shown marks that "appears" to be on the surface. The guitar itself is always kept inside a closed case and wasn't "banged up" over time.
Also, the guitar have these signs for more than a couple of years and I haven't noticed much of a major change in them.

What could cause this? Is it harmful to the guitar? and how can I protect it from happening? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

That is the Nitro clear-coat pealing away. I would say the guitar has had over exposure to the elements.
I had a Gibson Studio LP that did the exact same thing. It was stolen and left in the rain.

It is nothing structural at all it is just the finish.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
It was stolen and left in the rain.

Ouch! ****ing thieves! At least you got it back though.
Quote by NotTheMessiah30
Ouch! ****ing thieves! At least you got it back though.

Yeah that was back in 2001. I still remembering it sucking tremendously though
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah that was back in 2001. I still remembering it sucking tremendously though

Was it long before you got it back? I really hope i never get any of my gear stolen!
Quote by NotTheMessiah30
Was it long before you got it back? I really hope i never get any of my gear stolen!

No about 4-5 days.
It was some friends of friends of another band in the warehouse area. We found out who it was then contacted the police and nothing happened. Called the police again and still nothing happened, so I went to the guys house with a loaded 20ga and persuaded him to let me know where he was keeping them (there were 3 guitars actually stolen).

I really have little faith and respect for police in my area after this. How are you not going to follow up on a lead that I had to get on my own. I still to this day have never received a call back from that detective
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Why is your truss rod cover on upside down?

And yes, it's the clearcoat coming undone. It has to do with the pressure of the strings pulling the tuners on a slight tilt toward the bridge. Were those tuners ever removed from the headstock, or were they tightened (or loosened) at any point?
Quote by dspellman
It has to do with the pressure of the strings pulling the tuners on a slight tilt toward the bridge. Were those tuners ever removed from the headstock, or were they tightened (or loosened) at any point?

No I don't think that is why. It is exposure to extremes, just lack of storing it improperly, or the finish was flawed at the start. is the most likely culprit.

The tuners being too tight may have helped influence it some.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
First of all, thanks for all the replies.

The guitar wasn't really exposed to the elements. 90% of the time it's stored in its case. However, I do live in an area with high level of humidity, so perhaps it had something to do with it... perhaps not.

Oh, and nice catch about the truss rod cover. Haven't noticed that
Quote by Robbgnarly
No about 4-5 days.
It was some friends of friends of another band in the warehouse area. We found out who it was then contacted the police and nothing happened. Called the police again and still nothing happened, so I went to the guys house with a loaded 20ga and persuaded him to let me know where he was keeping them (there were 3 guitars actually stolen).

I really have little faith and respect for police in my area after this. How are you not going to follow up on a lead that I had to get on my own. I still to this day have never received a call back from that detective

****ing hell man, that's astounding that the police in your area can be so damn useless. I had a saucepan stolen and had three visits from the police in total, and they wanted to follow up by posting it in the press. I'm not even joking either, all for a dam saucepan.
You reported a saucepan stolen? Did it belong to Jesus at some point...?

Robbgnarly you think that's bad you should move to Queensland, Australia....

As for the finish, isn't this all part of the process called aging? And don't you have to pay more for it if you buy a guitar with that sort of thing from new?
Quote by dazza027
You reported a saucepan stolen? Did it belong to Jesus at some point...?

haha well we decided to report it because it seemed more that they were moving stuff out of the way from a window they had gotten open. It seemed like my house mate had disturbed them in the process of getting in, so we thought it best in case they decided to try coming back to actually get in. But yeah nonetheless, I was surprised at the reaction from the police haha.