I'm looking at getting an Electro Harmonix Magnum 44 to run my Engl E570 into (signal chain being guitar -> Engl -> Magnum -> 230 watt 8 ohms cab).

Is it suitable for metal though? I play in a death metal band so obviously need a lot of volume from an amp, and I'm not convinced that a 44 watt power amp can manage it.

Anyone got any experience on this?
Jackson, Peavey, Line 6 <3
No, it'll sound like ass.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
What!?

You have an ENGL and are cheaping out on the power amp?

That's like buying a Ferrari without the seat... and then installing Ikea seats in it.

Get a proper power amp... the output of that EHX is laughable.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
What!?

You have an ENGL and are cheaping out on the power amp?

That's like buying a Ferrari without the seat... and then installing Ikea seats in it.

Get a proper power amp... the output of that EHX is laughable.

I bought the Engl when I had a bit more cash. Something like a VHT or Matrix would be amazing, but I can't really afford much above €200 at the moment.
yeah man your trying to put a race car engine into a horse carriage.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Well, any suggestions on something in that price range? I'm currently running the Engl through the power section of a Valveking head, which sounds absolutely fine but is a massive pain in the ass to carry around.
Quote by NetherSpirit
I bought the Engl when I had a bit more cash. Something like a VHT or Matrix would be amazing, but I can't really afford much above €200 at the moment.

Normally I would say "Hard luck foo, that's just poor planning on your end, now suck it up".

However, I can completely understand the desire to just get what you want right now, caution be damned.

What about the venues and practice rooms, is there a PA you can plug the ENGL into for the time being? You can save some cash instead of getting a stop gap.

If not a Crate PowerBlock is a possible alternative. Although I'm not sure how it'll sound... but at 150 watts RMS ... you shouldn't have any issues keeping up with tube amp maybe up to 60 watts or so I wager a random and complete guess.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crate-Power-Block-CPB150-Stereo-Guitar-Amp/300906276267?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D7745845553045154976%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D200925354872%26

They go fairly cheap, but shipping might cost you.

How about a Marshall MG just for the power amp? These should be a dime a dozen and with people looking to off-load it you could just use it purely for the power section.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at May 18, 2013,
Look for a used Crate Power-block

They are awesome 100watt SS amps that are very small, but have a nice big sound. My buddy giged with a POD and a Crate power-block for years and always sounded really good.

I don't know prices there, but in the USA they run $100-$175 used

EDIT: F'N Ninja'd
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
EDIT: F'N Ninja'd

I was prepared to post the PowerBlock in my first post... but I wanted to see what the TS was thinking when he asked about running an ENGL into a EHX Magnum.

IMO, EHX has a lot of products... but not every product is a good one.. and the Magnum is one of those really Meh products.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Yeah the .44 is alright for up to rock. Metal if you have a pod and are in your bedroom or just f'n off with friends.

I know a guy who uses the .22 with a bunch of pedals and he sounds really good, but he also plays blues/country and not metal. He has a powered pedals board smaller than mine and a 1x12 cab. He went the .22 route because of amps being to heavy for him now.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ragingkitty
Normally I would say "Hard luck foo, that's just poor planning on your end, now suck it up".

Heh, yeah it was pretty poor planning on my end. Like I said though, I've been using it with the Valveking and it's fine, just a bit cumbersome.

I was looking at the Rocktron Velocity 100 but I have a feeling it'll be quite quiet anyway. Maybe I'll just have to make do for now and wait until I can pick up something a bit pricier.
Quote by NetherSpirit
Heh, yeah it was pretty poor planning on my end. Like I said though, I've been using it with the Valveking and it's fine, just a bit cumbersome.

I was looking at the Rocktron Velocity 100 but I have a feeling it'll be quite quiet anyway. Maybe I'll just have to make do for now and wait until I can pick up something a bit pricier.

I will guarantee that it sounds much better through the VK power section than anything you can afford with your budget.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate