Three Digit Fingerstyle

For the past month, or the last 30 days considering it is the 18th, I've been trying to learn "Travis Picking." So far I can use 3 digits, and I am working on the 4th. Since I recorded this, I can play it twice as fast with the 3, and I can now play it with 4, but slower than this recording.

So far it at least feels amazing. Almost entrancing. I don't even know if I am doing it correctly and or if I am but it sounds like crap. I have no teacher for lack of money, and very few people have ever heard me play.

I'm really hoping you guys can give me some good feedback. How is my form? What can I do to improve? Any good song suggestions for practice? That sort of thing.

Also, I am sorry about the sound quality. I'm not sure how to improve that right now.
Last edited by MattMurph at May 18, 2013,
I'm not that much into fingerstyle, (only learnt it to play road trippin' )

You seem to be doing a good job,
maybe this read might be helpful
UG lesson
Last edited by ComradSputnik at May 18, 2013,
It's not bad. Your hand is nice and relaxed and smooth but there are still hiccups that come from inexperience. You also seem to lack power. Part of that comes from a lack of nails or finger picks but you'll want to learn to draw our your dynamics a bit. I'd also work on picking your hand up when you change positions; the squeak is very loud in comparison to a quietly picked guitar.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
It's not bad. Your hand is nice and relaxed and smooth but there are still hiccups that come from inexperience. You also seem to lack power. Part of that comes from a lack of nails or finger picks but you'll want to learn to draw our your dynamics a bit. I'd also work on picking your hand up when you change positions; the squeak is very loud in comparison to a quietly picked guitar.

HEY! I'm from VA as well.

I'm still trying to get that power you speak of. When I play harder, I lose speed, but I've learned to play fast and sort of ride the string vibrations to get a louder sound as opposed to just playing louder. I don't know how to explain that. I've also been doing hand exercises to increase my strength and dexterity, and although my strength has increased, I've also noticed that speed and dexterity are desperate from strength. For instance, I can now arpeggiate my fingers pretty fast, but not when I do it hard.

I really gotta stop picking my finger nails too.

Any tips on how to get that 4th ring finger to feel like it is actually there and actually useable? Right now I'm just doing what I did with the 1st and 2nd but I'm thinking maybe something different should be done considering the ring finger and pinky are connected to each other?
Last edited by MattMurph at May 18, 2013,