Hi all, it's my first post here so let me know if the format is wrong

I'm making the switch to an electric guitar from my shitty knockoff acoustic and was looking for a first amp. I was at a local shop messing around with some amps and one of the guys there suggested Blackstars. I the HT 40 they had and loved the sound, but it's honestly too expensive and too loud for a practice amp. I was looking at the HT -1/1R, but no shops in my area carry them so I would have to buy one online.

My question is - does the HT - 1/1R sound like it's big brother, the HT Club 40?
A little, but not really. The HT1 has a 10" speaker which will sound different than the 12" speaker in the HT40
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Is the speaker size really that huge of a difference? I understand that smaller speakers have a brighter sound but I didn't realize it was that dramatic of a difference!
Quote by Shimmeh
Is the speaker size really that huge of a difference? I understand that smaller speakers have a brighter sound but I didn't realize it was that dramatic of a difference!

I think the HT 40 is a different preamp design. And yes the speaker will have a large impact on tone
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Don't forget that you can always get a HT-1H and use it with a 12" speaker...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I tried ALL of the HT Series amps before I purchased my HT Club 40. They are SUPPOSED to all have the same general tone, but I noticed pretty drastic differences in each one right away. They have all different types of output tubes, preamp designs & speaker configurations, so you can definitely expect to hear differences from one model to the next. The HT Club 40 just seemed to be THE ONE to my ears. It has a much more "lively" & harmonically rich quality to it than any other amp in the HT Series (or most amp lines out there, outrageously priced "boutique" amps included), IMO. Personally, I did not care for the Seventy 80 speaker that comes stock & replaced it with a G12K-85. HUGE difference there also. But that's just my 2 cents...
The HT-1 is more modern voiced and higher gain than the other HT amps. Don’t get the HT-1 combo, it sounds terrible. It’s boxy, with an annoying mid range hump, and you can’t adjust the treble to get decent American tones. For practice you would be much better off to just get one of the HT pedals, which have great cabinet emulation, and running it directly to you computer speakers or monitors.
Necro :P

Thanks for the additional info but it's moot at this point
Last edited by Shimmeh at Aug 30, 2013,