When playing the guitar standing up, I have an issue with always having to use a short strap to play to the best of my abilities. The guitar is just at the stomach area. maybe slightly higher. But everytime I loosen the strap and have the guitar around my crotch area or even a bit higher than that, I play like shit, especially leads, etc. I know everybody has their own preferences on this but has anybody ever played like crap at first with the guitar low but gotten used to it and forced it upon themselves? Thanks.
I cant play shit with the guitar low either so i have it high all the time, whats the problem with that?
I have no idea, i hear people make fun of guys that hold the guitar rather high all the time, but i mean, i guess everybodies different, ireally find it difficult playing with the guitar down
Wear that guitar high proudly man! many amazing guitarists play it that way (albert hammond jr and alex turner are two of my favorite)
There's nothing wrong with having it higher. It's a personal and comfort thing. For someone like me I have it very low, I have long arms, so just below the belt area is just where I'm most comfortable and at ease.
Quote by GNR1010
I have no idea, i hear people make fun of guys that hold the guitar rather high all the time, but i mean, i guess everybody's different, I really find it difficult playing with the guitar down

I guess they should make fun of Tom Morello then...
If you want to play the guitar lower, practice. I couldn't even play guitar standing up for awhile, just practice and it comes naturally.
Quote by GNR1010
i hear people make fun of guys that hold the guitar rather high all the time,

Hang out with better guitarists. In the world of good musicianship, nobody cares how high or low your strap is.
Few outside of their teenage years makes fun of high-strap guitar players, unless the guitar is slung super ridiculously high like Morello. Even then, it is nearly always just the same kind of light-hearted bantering type of fun-poking that you would expect for doing just about anything you might do.
Last edited by Vlasco at May 19, 2013,
You're worried about what people think of the way you have your guitar positioned? Really??
Ok, leave it low and see how impressed people are with your crappy playing. Then you'll know what getting made fun of is.
your guitar standing should be at exactly the same place it is when you're sitting. otherwise you're just begging for sloppy technique and potentially tendinitis
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
your guitar standing should be at exactly the same place it is when you're sitting. otherwise you're just begging for sloppy technique and potentially tendinitis

This.

It's all well if you're playing mindlessly wanking through the pentatonic scale/playing simple chords but don't expect to be able to play harder chords or be able to play with correct technique with your hand in a stupid uncomfortable position.
I tried playing low once. It was easier to play higher. The end.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Hail

Yep. Guy I used to play with was amazing when he was like 16. He got tendinitis and can't play for shitnow.
If you use the over the top thumb almost all the time, lower is better usually. If you do a lot of behind the neck, higher is better. It has to do with the angle of the wrist more than anything.
I love my Les Paul but every time I play standing up I wish I had a Telecaster. And all the cool kids have their guitar touching their chin.
If you start shredding while holding your guitar a little higher then usual, nobody will give a ****.
Quote by Hail

You should be sure to point out which is more correct.

standing up is most likely the correct position in this case.
The same way you wear the guitar standing up should be the same as when you hold it sitting down.

If you hold it incorrectly sitting down. When you stand up its gonna to feel funny.

If your right handed put your guitar over your left leg. elevate your left foot with a stool or something.
I had the same issues when i tried to play standing up,then I tried a thing called
Guitar tilt belt, it sorted me out!
Comfort over looks undoubtably......

But look at all the cool as f**k guys who have em low

Jimmy page, Slash, James Hetfield, Joe Perry, Mark Tremonti.....

All have a simple technique - when they do any thing other than simple riffage - they tilt the guitar so that the neck comes to their left hand easier and the wrist straightens

If you haven't already - try it!

It's guitar, and lets be truthful - we picked the guitar because there are so many rules you can break!!!
Comfort is the most important thing. The guitar should be in the same position(or close) in both sitting/standing up.

This is definetly NOT true.
I play with my guitar about over my stomach, my belt tends to be roughly in the center of my guitar. (To avoid scratching the back of the guitar, I untuck my shirt.) I can't play it too low or too high. I don't have arms like a basketball player.

@TS:
I would advise you to play however low or high is comfortable. It's like driving a car. They recommend that you have your hands at such & such a position in driver's ed. But what's more important is that it's comfortable for you to steer.
Quote by Omusk
I had the same issues when i tried to play standing up,then I tried a thing called
Guitar tilt belt, it sorted me out!

I'm guessing you made it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gSD-Ls6IHs

Interesting idea. I got used to playing standing up without seeing the frets by practicing standing up infront of the mirror.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
u guys are really funny. i found a fantasty music when i playing mmogameus. anyone can figure out what's the singer? [forbidden link]
Quote by one vision
Don't sacrifice comfort for looks.

And who cares if you have a pickgaurd protector on your guitar. It doesn't make you a nerd.

Citation needed.
Quote by AlanHB
I'm guessing you made it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gSD-Ls6IHs

Interesting idea. I got used to playing standing up without seeing the frets by practicing standing up infront of the mirror.

Definitely pretty interesting. I usually demonstrate to my students how the rear and forearm cutouts on a strat are designed to leverage your natural arm weight into leaning the guitar in that same way. The same idea works with mostly every other shape as well, but a strat makes it very easy to see how it works. It only works if the guitar is higher than your groin, however.
Last edited by Vlasco at Oct 27, 2013,
you shouldn't be staring at the fretboard, it's a really bad habit. visualizing a mirror is a good trick, but sitting down you shouldn't be ruining your posture, particularly if you're playing classical style (which i always recommend)

maybe i'm just old school, but it seems like a really dumb gimmick designed for bad habits.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.