Page 1 of 2
Hello good people, haven't posted here for quite a while since my account was somehow deactivated..

I've recorded and produced with Garageband for about 2 years now and pretty much have the impression that i reached the limits of this software.. So i'm looking for something with more possibilities. My electronic music is mostly midi-based but i'd also like to have the option to record real instruments and tweak some parameters when i'm playing a set live.
I know about ableton live, reason, logic, cubase.. but have no idea which one would suit me best.

For all of you who use any kind of DAW's and have some experience working with them, which one do you use and why?

thanks a lot
What is your budget?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Well, i'm a student so i would get some of them a little bit cheaper, but that also means i have no money
I guess about 300€

But i'd might invest more, if i really had the impression that the DAW suits me perfectly and never have to use anotherone ever
Last edited by verkiII at May 18, 2013,
Try demo versions of everything you listed, plus Reaper and FL Studio. Always try before you buy.
For electronic, I'm gonna say Logic.. It'll be an easier transition since it's laid out similarly to Garageband.

199 bucks on the App Store.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at May 18, 2013,
Quote by verkiII

But i'd might invest more, if i really had the impression that the DAW suits me perfectly and never have to use anotherone ever

lol I dunno if any single DAW is really the best for everything. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Considering you're using mainly MIDI, get Logic. I'd say Logic is by far the most versatile and easy to use, in regards to MIDI, out of all the main software packages. It also can record HQ audio with the addition of a good soundcard. Finally it's great for mixing and mastering.

All of that above, is from me, a Cubase lover. So please don't see me as biased
Cubase. Pro Tools. Ableton.
The best 3 tbh
Alot of poeple also love Reaper, Logic and Reason/Record

I'm not sure what reason/rewires mixer is like but the reason 5 mixer SUQD
I have Ableton, it came with my Fender Mustang. I am a 3D CAD Designer and have done VB net coding and I found it difficult to set up. The sound is not great and I have never used it to record I simply haven't got the time to sit down and work through the tutorials yet. If I want to record for now, I am just using Audacity.

I would really like to get a DAW set up correctly and start recording.

A question for Ableton users... Do you use an external sound card? I don't, maybe that's why I get a crappy sound...
If you plan on doing electronic music, go for Ableton. That's what its geared for & its a solid program. Its different than every other DAW out there so watch some of the tutorials they have on their site.

Quote by wiggedy
A question for Ableton users... Do you use an external sound card? I don't, maybe that's why I get a crappy sound...

Everyone typically uses an Audio Interface that acts as a soundcard. We have a thread dedicated to them. Also, a good set of Studio Monitors or Studio Headphones usually helps.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by wiggedy

Pretty much everyone that does digital audio has one, regardless of DAW.
Thanks a lot for the answers guys.

I thought about getting ableton, the only reason i wouldn't get it is because it's far too popular and almost every producer of electronic music uses it, and i don't want to end up with the same "vocabulary" as those poeple..
I think logic would be the most comfortable, as it shares similarities with garageband and seems to be the cheapest one, but i'm worring about range of possibilities it offers, as garageband is quite limited.
Logic is incredibly easy to work. It's a good daw.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by verkiII
I thought about getting ableton, the only reason i wouldn't get it is because it's far too popular and almost every producer of electronic music uses it, and i don't want to end up with the same "vocabulary" as those poeple..

No offense, but that's about the dumbest reason I've heard for not buying something.

I understand you not wanting to sound like other people and be unique, but there's a reason those guys are using Ableton. Just because you're using the same DAW as someone else doesn't mean you have to use the same plugins and samples, your mixes aren't going to sound the same as their's as long as you're not copying what they're doing...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Get Mixcraft.
It's like Garage band for windows.
It has a great virtual drum kit for coating midi's
It has a load of instruments.
You can compose.
It has all kinds of effects, compressor, reverb, delay, ect.
It's very inexpensive.
Or get reaper, lol
Quote by TwoPlusTwo
Get Mixcraft.
You can compose.
It's very inexpensive.
Or get reaper, lol

But he has Garage Band already so two things...

Why would he want to move to something extremely comparable to what he already has... and why would he want something for WINDOWS when he's obviously using a Mac...

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by MatrixClaw
No offense, but that's about the dumbest reason I've heard for not buying something.

I understand you not wanting to sound like other people and be unique, but there's a reason those guys are using Ableton. Just because you're using the same DAW as someone else doesn't mean you have to use the same plugins and samples, your mixes aren't going to sound the same as their's as long as you're not copying what they're doing...

well, i guess that speaks for the daw..
I don't actually know how versatile it is, let alone how many different plug-ins you can get for it, my approach was only that i could avoid "similarities" by trying something that isn't as popular as ableton but still doesn't lack quality in the first place
It's a DAW... it does the same thing as most DAWs...

Though personally I hate the workflow.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by TwoPlusTwo
Get Mixcraft.
You can compose.
It's very inexpensive.
Or get reaper, lol

Judging from the fact that he uses GarageBand, he's on a Mac, not Windows. And he's looking for a real DAW anyway, not a Windows version of a program he already has (and says he's outgrown).
E: Beaten in the time it took my internet to stop sucking.
Get logic
Given you're reasonably comfortable with Garageband I'd advise as it's similar to Logic

Given you're gonna be using MIDI a lot, Logic is a really good DAW for that
Along with the whole electronic thing
It's easy to work with, as it's (excuse the pun) logical.
A lot of things in logic build upon each other (I mean all DAW's do, but logic is just really simple and it works well)
I love logic to bits
Everyone is going to give you a different answer here, so rather than canvassing opinions download all the free trials and spend an hour or two with each DAW to see what takes your fancy.

I've put together a pretty big list of professional-level DAWs with downloadable trial versions:

- Studio One 2
- Digital Performer 8
- REAPER
- Sonar X2
- Ableton Live 9
- Samplitude Pro X
- Mixcraft 6
- FL Studio 11
- Tracktion
- MuLab 5
- ACID Pro 7

Cubase and Pro Tools require a USB dongle to activate the trial (personally that's enough to justify me never buying their software) and Logic doesn't have a trial of any sort.
Those 'big three' are very common and it shouldn't be hard to find someone with them installed so you can check em out if you wish. Personally I wouldn't bother
Sonar X2 is pretty cool, been using it for 2 weeks ,. it's Better then reaper and I got it for $55 with discounts upgrading an old version & got Overloud TH2.

Tho not as good as my Protools 10, it's still got alot of solid goodness and a better alternative for using VST plugins then reaper (what I was using before)
Last edited by T4D at May 30, 2013,
Depends on what you want to do with your DAW really... Personally I use Pro Tools, because that's what I've learned on.
Ableton is the obvious choice if your going to be maknig lots of electronic beats.
Logic is a great option for composition, lots of nice instruments and plugins come standard. Not fantastic as a recording/editing platform imo. I'm not a big fan of the interface either, there's a few stupid functions.
Pro Tools is where it's at for pro audio recording and editing. MIDI functions are actually reasonably decent (in PT10 anyway, twas atrocious before!) Doesn't come with many plugins, but if you're new to DAWs then I recommend sticking to a few for a while to get good at them first. Still the PT standard ones can be a bit pants, nothing flashy, but they do the job.
For cheap alternatives you could get Reaper or Ardour (Ardour is even for Linux)

I would recommend Pro Tools or Logic. Nuendo is pretty sweet but I think its pretty expensive.

Like Highelf04 said, if you are using MIDI a lot, go Logic.
Vitne
http://
Because ProTools isn't expensive

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
Because ProTools isn't expensive

I'm going to use my newly gained College Student status and pick up the student edition of Pro Tools. It's $300 and includes 4 years of upgrades (which there has been one nearly every year the past 3 and its $250-$300 each upgrade).

Though for Non-Students, $600 is a bitch :p
Sonar and Cubase are $499

Live is $450 or ($749 for Suite)

Protools is $699 With ELEVEN RACK !! Or ($649 without eleven???)
For $200 more you also get a interface and Effect rack ?

Protools too expensive ?

and your projects are easily sent to a studio ( if you get that record deal

and you grain skills in software 80% of your local studio are using ( that % is just my guess feel free to correct me )

YES it cost more.
YES it's just a tool Your the artist
YES You don't need it if you doing your own thing.

but it's not completely Crazy to buy in Protools .. is it ?
Last edited by T4D at Jun 5, 2013,
Well no, it's just that the guys reason for buying Nuendo was because it was expensive.

ProTools isn't exactly cheap. It just seemed like some weird logic to me

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jun 5, 2013,
No it's not crazy, but it's unlikely the best option IN THIS SITUATION. Here we're looking at mostly electronic music, but not useless at real instruments. PT may now have reasonable MIDI capabilities, but it's not the best by far. REAPER's not a particularly great choice here either, it's MIDI is pretty average.
I second Kyle's suggestion of trying all the demos. I was to narrow the list I'd drop REAPER (poor MIDI), Mixcraft (basically a Garageband clone), and Acid Pro (just a bad DAW in general).
yeah all true, agree

I would just add if "electronic music" is your thing

check out Reason I loved it ,. simply, clean, very direct and HUGE virtual instrument sound options, Alot comes with it, that in other packages you have to buy as add ons ( I still rewire it into PT and works nicely THO there is mem limit since PT 10 is only 32bit)

but it just didn't have solid guitar tone options for me... that's the "reason" I moved on.. ( yeah bad pun )
Honestly I think I would choose Reason here since if you want you can ReWire in something like Reaper for your audio recording needs (although I think Reason has audio recording in it now anyway?)
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Well no, it's just that the guys reason for buying Nuendo was because it was expensive.

ProTools isn't exactly cheap. It just seemed like some weird logic to me

Err... You do realize that while Pro Tools might be $700... Nuendo is $1700, right?

Definitely expensive in any case.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^ I always laugh at the people who get on with "Dudez... I got the newezt version of Nuendo. Why iz it wen i record i heer meself but not until like a secund later?"

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
What's the difference between Cubase & Nuendo? Obviously it looks more geared towards Post-Production but Steinberg doesn't really give much detail on their site. I'm guessing its similar to Pro Tools vs Pro Tools HD but I can't tell.
Nuendo is marketed more towards the post-production environment. It is basically Cubase, with a lot more video integration. Cubase will allow you to do whatever you want to the audio to fit the video. It will allow you to trim video, but that's about it. Nuendo offers video editing, stretching, multiple lanes for video so you can crossfade, etc.

That's about it. They both use the same audio engine.

Basically Nuendo does in one package what proTools + Adobe Premier would do in two.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I'd say go for Logic if you haven't already. I prefer Pro Tools, but Logic is definitely better for you since it comes pre loaded with way more soft synths for a good price!
Page 1 of 2