Basically I've always wanted to sing
I write a lot of acoustic stuff and wish I could add my own feel to them lyric wise instead of looking for singers.

so questions are Is it possible for anyone to learn how to sing? although ones voice is pretty bad? and last question has anyone here have experience turing a bad singing voice into a decent one through lessons?
Open your mouth and jiggle your vocal chords around.

edit: I'd say anyone can learn. When i opened my mouth it use to sound like horse on horse action, but just by singing along to a lot of my favorite music i've noticed i've gotten a lot better at singing. Just practice man.
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at May 18, 2013,
Singing is like breathing...
for the soul.

Now,
Let's start at the very beginning,
a very good place to start.
When you read you begin with...
A, B, C.
When you sing you begin with...
Do, Re, Mi.
Do, Re, Mi?
Do, Re, Mi...

*I'm not going to keep going from there*
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by angusfan16
Open your mouth and jiggle your vocal chords around.

edit: I'd say anyone can learn. When i opened my mouth it use to sound like horse on horse action, but just by singing along to a lot of my favorite music i've noticed i've gotten a lot better at singing. Just practice man.

I've noticed that too and so it led me to thinking if I can just go all out in voice lessons and further improve my voice or dose ones voice reach a limit? ha
Quote by TUXGUITAR
I've noticed that too and so it led me to thinking if I can just go all out in voice lessons and further improve my voice or dose ones voice reach a limit? ha

Lessons never hurt (except for your wallet). There's always things to improve so having a proper guide would probably be beneficial
Sail upon the open skies
100% get voice lessons. I had clue how to sing in key or even loud enough to be heard and within 2 months can now sing fairly well and expect in another 2 months to be ready to sing some songs live. Makes a HUGE difference and certainly worth the money. Singing is difficult so having a fun instructor is essential or you will get frustrated.
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
singing lessons are the only real way to go

BUT some voices just sound like shit no matter what,
I used to be pretty bad at singing, but I think I'm okay now. I didn't take any lessons, but what helped me was recording myself. Playing back recordings of your own voice and analyzing what is good and bad about your singing can really help when it comes to making improvements. Just experiment, I guess. Also, learning the basics of singing (from tutorials and stuff) is probably a good idea.
I used to be pretty bad at singing. I'm better now by singing along with some songs, but I still am bad at singing.

It's alright. I'm good at video games so it balances everything out.
If you really want to learn how to sing, a keyboard/piano of some sort is hugely recommended, but anything works.

First off, just play a single note and make sure you can match your voice to it. As long as you can do that and aren't completely tone-deaf, you can start to play around more. Anything works like major/minor scales, different leaps, melodies from songs and all kinds of stuff. Just practice matching pitch and staying in key. Like many acquired skills, you have to work at it.

The easiest way to learn is singing along with whatever music is playing, which is where songs on the radio actually come in handy sometimes. I've done a lot of singing in the car the last year in this past year and honestly I've gotten quite a bit better. Also, put your heart and soul into that shit, like just get into it and belt it out. Sing as high as you can and sing as low as you can and as loud as you can. Don't be afraid to open your mouth or contort your jaw all weird-like if it helps.

Do these things and your vocals should improve.
Time keeps on slipping...

Quote by skaterskagg1
AtomicPunk7 is uncreative.
I had a few lessons where they teach you all about proper breathing and then just practiced stuff at home. Find an artist you enjoy that you think is in you range and sing along. Practice etc etc
I think anyone can pretty much sound decent at singing. For me though, it's all about being confident enough to belt it out in front of people, which I still can't do. I think I sound alright when I record myself though.
If your cheap like me just look up singing sucess or brett manning on youtube. hes gotsome good lessons
I'm a voice instructor, and I'd say that "yes" anyone can learn how to sing, however, it may not be exactly what you want.

A person's voice is what it is, and you aren't going to change how it sounds, so by singing correctly, you probably aren't going to sound like your favorite artists, you're going to sound like you. However, many artists, such as Kurt Cobain and Anthony Kiedis, have taken a less than stellar voice and made it work for them.

Ignore the people commenting about contorting your jaw all weird or just belting, singing doesn't work like that, it should be very relaxed.

I 100% recommend vocal lessons, as it is pretty much impossible to teach someone how to sing over text, but if you have any questions, feel free to drop me a PM and I'll do what I can.
Last edited by Tyson2011 at May 19, 2013,
Tyson is correct.

I took voice lessons for six months and while I basically still suck, I know the basics and can make my voice work. Although you have to care for your voice. I have really good days but also really bad days when I sound horrendous. Take care of your voice, get lots of sleep, don't smoke, alcohol, soda, or too many dairy products, and definitely don't eat Papa John's pizza.
I believe anyone can sing. I used to be absolute shit, but I just practiced with my terrible and now I've been told I'm pretty damn good.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
There's a singing forum, y'know.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Get lessons. You won't be able to make a big change in how your voice sounds, but you won't know how it actually sounds until you learn to sing properly.
Melissa Cross's "Zen of Screaming," first DVD. It may be metal oriented but despite the title it teaches more about regular singing than do harsh vocals, and very well. It's not as comprehensive as vocal coaching but it's really useful in learning basic techniques for singing.

But if you can afford a vocal coach, get one as that will get you so much further. The main problem though will be finding one that can actually do it.