Can anyone please suggest some backing tracks for me I'm looking for a certain type of thing and it has to be on youtube. I'm looking for kind of spacey backing tracks kind of like what David gilmour jams over really, like marooned echoes shine on stuff like that I don't really know how to explain it but I'm looking for it. Lol if you can help with this plz post

I know you might not get what I'm talking about but if you do speak up!

Edit: I think ambient is the word I'm looking for
Last edited by DannyV783 at May 18, 2013,
Haha already done that one but that is a really good one loved it. IV tried a bunch from that channel most of them are good
make your own. it's the best way to learn
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Hey Danny,

The thing about ambient rock and the kind of thing you're thinking of, is that it uses synth a lot of times, subdued low mix bass lines, and chord tone simplicity. Also, it's very common for a lead to incorporate a half step bend "into" notes, as opposed to playing a single note. Instead of A, being the note I play, I'll play G# and 1/2 step bend it to A. This is an approach that Gilmour is known for. If you break down and analyze thee solos themselves, they are largely blues based, but also heavy on accenting or outlining the chord tones or a chord tone from the underlying music.

Since you have an iPad, you might create some basic jam tracks using Garage Band, and then use virtual instruments to build your sound pallette.

It helps if you understand theory to ascertain what some chord progression examples are, in terms of analyzing, the chords within a given key so you have an idea of what chords you might like in music.

For example in Comfortably Numb, do you know what the chords are, in terms of roman numerals and their functions? It helps a lot when developing jam tracks to see the big picture.

Most of the time, in PF you see few extended chords. You might see a lot of 7ths. Occasionally, you might see altered Dominant's, like in Breathe, where that can be credited to the keyboard player (who had a jazz background) he plays a 7#9 and a 7b9.

Once you understand the general framework of theory and a progression, you can then apply these ideas to your own. For example, recently I helped a student analyze some Explosions in the Sky material, and it was eye opening how we were able to derive certain key elements to that particular band. Fun stuff.

Also, this gentleman on SoundCloud, might be of interest to you:

https://soundcloud.com/drshpilev

Hope this helps you along the way!

Best,

Sean