Hi all, I'm switching from the acoustic to the electric, already have a solid guitar chosen but was looking for a decent tube amp in the 250-300 range. I was going to go with a Blackstar HT-1 but thought I should seek out your wisdom first

I'm looking for something that can do metal such as Between the Buried and Me and The Dillinger Escape Plan, while being able to do some blues (emphasis on the metal).

I'm ok with buying used, I would just like to get the best sound for the money that I can. This is purely for practice, and I'm in the Des Moines IA area.

This is going to be paired with a used Schecter Omen Extreme, I don't have any other gear at the moment

Thank you so much for any help you can give!
Last edited by Shimmeh at May 19, 2013,
So I take it you will never be playing with a drummer?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
So I take it you will never be playing with a drummer?

Yep! I have no plans to play in a group for now.
Get a used Peavey Vypyr Tube 60.

I like your taste in bands btw.

EDIT: Here ya go. http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVEY-VYPYR-60-TUBE-108801193-i3127247.gc?esid=108801193_U
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at May 19, 2013,
Thanks offworld! This looks like a solid amp, but after looking at s ome reviews some say that you really will want a noise suppressor. In your opinion, will I need one soon/eventually? I'm a little concerned because my guitar has ceramic pickups and is already fairly loud through any amp I've tried

And yeah, those are awesome bands! Got the chance to see BTBAM a few months ago and they were amazing! Played lots of stuff off of Alaska with some Parallax 2 thrown in
Last edited by Shimmeh at May 19, 2013,
What? No. I don't even.

The Vypyr is silent. I have a Tube 120H model. I've owned a 15 & a 75 in the past.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Can you get a used Valveking for that amount? Try and get a 212 so you can turn the presonance low for thrashier metal.
Quote by Offworld92
What? No. I don't even.

The Vypyr is silent. I have a Tube 120H model. I've owned a 15 & a 75 in the past.

That's great to hear, I'm going to chalk that up to "the internet" I'll be really looking at this one Thanks
Quote by AndyGray
Can you get a used Valveking for that amount? Try and get a 212 so you can turn the presonance low for thrashier metal.

Nope :/ after looking around the low end for used seems to be about 480-520 for a used valveking 212.
I had a Valveking and now have a Vypyr 60. The Vypyr is superior - especially compared to a stock VK. The Vypyr also takes pedals well and has the benefit of a headphone out. I got mine for $315 used at Guitar Center. I've seen them as low as $250.

I'm shocked to this day as to how quiet they are. Great for palm mutes. The lower gain stuff is not the greatest but passable. The cleans are above average. There can be a hint of 'fakeness' for lack of a better term but unless you are spending $5,000+ on studio recordings it won't matter.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 20, 2013,
The Vyper 60 will cater for your current needs and will also be useable if you want to jam with people down the track.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I know this forum is a bit of a Vypyr circlejerk and some people may view our support of Peavey here negatively... for good reasons or not... but I just have to say, the Vypyr Tube really is an amazing hybrid. It almost takes the best things about DSPs/MFXx and fills in all the gaps with analog & tube components. The only real drawback is how straightforward it is. Which is great if you don't need a lot, not so great if you like to pile effects on top of each other.

It's all the little things about the amp that add up, like it being silent. It has just the right amounts of artificial/solid state aspects, like in the palm mutes 311 mentioned. Tight & massive at the same time. I can't get that even out of my 6505 on it's own. The Vypyr sounds like you would expect amps to sound like after they've been recorded and enhanced in the studio. That's the best comparison I can come up with, and people seem to agree.

I really wish Peavey payed me for this shit.

And also, I've owned a ValveKing 212 in the past, it was my first "real" tube amp. I would not recommend it for BtBaM or TDEP. It's really not a metal amp. It can be pushed into metal territory, but like I have experienced firsthand after doing all the tricks, it's just not worth it at the end of the day.

I don't try to circlejerk Peavey, but a lot of people come here with small budgets looking to play modern metal, just like yourself, and there really aren't any alternatives. That's just the particular niche/market that Peavey happens to dominate. The one alternative is Bugera, and they are an alternative because their amps are carbon copies of Peavey amps, with comically shitty quality. They are the exemplification of the "Chinese knock off".

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at May 20, 2013,
No one around here can really fault the Vypyr tube series. It is just too well rounded to overlook -- especially if ypoure on a budget. Don't even consider a VK with what you're trying to play. Its just not a metal amp without some serious boost or modification, itrs better to start with a better platform.
It seems like I know what I'm getting ... A Marshall MG 30FX!

In all seriousness though, thank you for pointing me toawrds the vypyr, after hearing some youtube clips I'm shocked at how much better it sounds than a solid-state orange I'd tried at a local shop. That, combined with the amount of sound options you have means that I'm sold! I'll be ordering a vypyr tube 60 tommorow

Once again, thank you for all your help!