Hi

I was being silly and probably put some too thick strings on a guitar
When I tightened the lowest string, the edge of the thing that keeps them in place broke off, resulting in the string falling off and not being able to stay in its place.
I managed to make it playable by wrapping a thin string around it an tying it with enough pressure as a short term solution (it works) - though of course I'd like this repaired.

I don't know what sort of material this is made from nor what it's called. Is it replaceable or might a guitar technician be able to do something about it?

It's the nut of the guitar neck, and yours has a little side missing. It's replaceable; never had to do it myself, however, my guitar's got the same problem and will need the same fix.

Whenever I decide to replace the nut, I`ll loosen/remove the strings, push out the nut, replace it, voila
bad pic but, looks like your gonna need a new nut. btw, if that's a straight up Gibson and your messing around with it like that than doom on you!
Quote by dudester410
It's the nut of the guitar neck, and yours has a little side missing. It's replaceable; never had to do it myself, however, my guitar's got the same problem and will need the same fix.

Whenever I decide to replace the nut, I`ll loosen/remove the strings, push out the nut, replace it, voila

Alright cool, thanks. I need to find a replacement nut then if it's pretty easy to do the job It may be hard to find separately I guess but will start doing some searching.

Quote by Rust_E_Stringz
if that's a straight up Gibson and your messing around with it like that than doom on you!

Well I definitely learned a lesson from this that putting .68 baritone strings on a regular guitar may not be a good idea. It's an epi
Quote by rockstar256
what did u tuned to with a 68? to C?

I used it for B, Bb and a little bit of A. Started getting bad at Ab. Don't think I would have used them for C on this guitar, strings would get really tense. These were baritone strings designed for the longer scale (ordered the wrong set), still OK tone though.
If you didn't even know the nut was called a nut, you should definitely take it to a guitar tech. Guitar nut replacements are very rarely as easy as drop in replacement, especially for putting such thick strings on.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
If you didn't even know the nut was called a nut, you should definitely take it to a guitar tech. Guitar nut replacements are very rarely as easy as drop in replacement, especially for putting such thick strings on.

I agree, it's obvious you're not an expert, you could **** up something.
Quote by Lavatain

Hi, I'm a guitar tech.

And yeah, they usually are as easy as drop in replacements. Just use good glue. Also, quit giving the guy grief. As if none of us have ever made dumb mistakes when we were beginners.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Rust_E_Stringz
bad pic but, looks like your gonna need a new nut. btw, if that's a straight up Gibson and your messing around with it like that than doom on you!

Not a Gisbon with a 3 hole TR cover. It's an Epi.

OP if you've done nut work it's an easy fix but if you haven't get it done by a good tech. Just taking the nut off can damage the finish if not pre-scored where the poly goes of it. Probably $70 or so to have it done.
Moving on.....
Short answer, yes, buy a new nut.

Btw, did you adjust the truss rod, if you're staying the same tuning?...If not, you'd better. Right fucking now.
Quote by JustRooster
Hi, I'm a guitar tech.

And yeah, they usually are as easy as drop in replacements. Just use good glue. Also, quit giving the guy grief. As if none of us have ever made dumb mistakes when we were beginners.

Plus 1!!

I recently replaced my acoustic nut with a Bone nut and it went quite well. It's not too hard, you will need a a razor blade, sand paper and super glue... find a you tube video that show you how to do it and go slow for your first attempt.

And before you put in those heavy gauge strings again, file the string slot open a little bit more.
Quote by Guitbuilder
If you can find the piece that poped off, just superglue it back in place.

Get out
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier HD Multi-Watt
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100MLB
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
Thanks all. Very good replies in this thread and thankfully this is replaceable

When this happened, I realized that the slots weren't wide enough which again means the guitar isn't really designed for using such strings.
I started trying to downtune regular strings about a year ago, of course they became very loose and the tone wasn't good so started experimenting with strings made for the tunings I were interested in. However I'm yet to find decent tone for this guitar and will probably get a baritone electric next. (I even got a PM from someone who said les pauls aren't very suited for thick strings and won't achieve a great tone).

Quote by JustRooster
Also, quit giving the guy grief. As if none of us have ever made dumb mistakes when we were beginners.

Thanks, that's alright. I realized I wouldn't exactly come across as smart before creating this thread; besides - people like to be condescending in internet forums. Which is fine as long as there's some good content to make up for it, and there is.
No problem.

A big reason Les Pauls aren't often downtuned is the scale length. The Gibson scale length is shorter than a lot of other manufacturers out there, which means less ability to create the tension that thicker strings need to sound full and tight at lower tunings.

That said, don't get discouraged. Plenty of my favorite metal acts use Les Pauls, they just don't tune to drop Z, such as Baroness, Mastodon, Red Fang, and The Sword are all LP metal users.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Find a good tech and get a new bone nut cut. I did a drop on a bass and it was never right. It will cost more, but it worth it to get something that fits right. Strong emphasis on good tech. Good luck.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/