I found this old Japanese guitar on the side of the road for council rubbish collection! Looks like it's been chucked in the back of a shed and left there for the last ten years, but I'm hoping to restore it. Anyway, does anyone have any idea of what brand or model this guitar is?

It has features of a Strat and Jazzmaster but with a couple of different features.
- The tremolo is very unique, like it's designed to be used with your hand on the bridge and not a bar
- There is a '0' fret! I've never seen a guitar with a fret right on the nut before

The tuning pegs are of poor quality (and broken), but the rest of the guitar seems to be reasonably well built. Can anyone help me out with identification? Tips on restoration or parts would be appreciated, although I'll probably make a thread in GB&C sometime in the future.
Thanks!
Quote by jakepanda
looks like a Burns of some sort

http://www.burnsguitars.com/

I don't think it's an original burns but according to Wikipedia there were copies made by Japanese manufacturers. There's probably heaps of unknown Japanese guitar manufacturers without brands written on the headstock or anything.
tiesco

those guitars were mass produced and sold under various dept store brand names throughout the 70s.

i think they were built at matsumoto but i'm not certain. someone will know.
Last edited by gregs1020 at May 19, 2013,
Definitely looks like an old Tiesco.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Gretsch White Falcon.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Definitely a Teisco variety, that's a fairly common rendition. I had one almost identical to it branded as a Silvertone. I actually kinda miss that guitar, had a unique jangly vibe to it I can't get with anything else... I sold it whenever I thinned all the cheap/project stuff from my collection. I think it was a model 1481 or something like that.

This one was mine

Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Yours is missing the retaining bar on the headstock and the trem arm, mine was missing it as well. These are a bitch to restring btw, you have to depress the rather stiff spring with your hand as you push the string through the tailpiece.

Yours has the entry level, non adjustable bridge. If you decide to put it back together try finding a bridge like mine had, where you can adjust the intonation and action. Infinitely better setup.

EDIT: Here's one with the trem arm on it. You can see why most of them don't have it anymore

SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at May 19, 2013,
Thanks for the responses everyone! Much appreciated
I'm wondering about the pickups, are they just regular single coils in a bigger pickup cover? I'd like to replace the covers because they are so corroded, does anyone know where I could get new pickup covers this size?

Here are some more pictures of the pickup covers and pickups themselves

Dimensions of the pickup covers are 82mmX27mm and around 25mm high.
You can find those pickups on eBay for fairly cheap, as far as replacement covers I have no idea. They're basically a single coil but wrapped around a rather fat coil, pretty unique jangly sound.

EDIT: Damn you, Jack White. Seems the price on the Japanese import crap is still inflated. Looks like replacement original pickups are about $40 each (not really worth it in my opinion). I can remember buying a pair for $18 shipped about 5 years ago.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at May 19, 2013,
Quote by Flux'D
You can find those pickups on eBay for fairly cheap, as far as replacement covers I have no idea. They're basically a single coil but wrapped around a rather fat coil, pretty unique jangly sound.

EDIT: Damn you, Jack White. Seems the price on the Japanese import crap is still inflated. Looks like replacement original pickups are about $40 each (not really worth it in my opinion). I can remember buying a pair for $18 shipped about 5 years ago.

Do the ones you're referring to include the pickup cover?