So I had this computer and broke my monitor, then my friends computer died. So I let him use mine, he put his hard drive into it and used it for a bit. Now I got another monitor but it will only work with his hard drive and not mine? Mine won't even fully boot... Probably a bad place to ask but this is the only forum I frequent.. Bleh.
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

Back up files, reinstall Windows.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
Your computer should boot without a monitor connected. Sounds a bit like your graphic card has gone. If it is a after-market GPU in your machine trying removing it and plugging the monitor into the onboard VGA/DVI ports.

EDIT: If it boots with his HDD and not yours, it's worth looking at the system restore changelog, maybe there was some upgrade he had which you haven't had yet. Boot the computer with both HDDs in place (yours as the slave) and see if there are any notable files you can copy over to your Windows directories
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Last edited by barnesybaby at May 19, 2013,
FIRST THINGS FIRST!
You power on your system, the lights are on, and you can see the CPU fan inside running, but...
You don't see anything in your screen except the "no signal" or nothing at all, right?
That problem usually happens to computers changing devices inside it. They seem terrified running normally with newly installed devices that's why they don't boot up at all.

Things to do:
1. Make sure you plugged in your hard drive very tight. If a hard drive is not plugged in correctly, faulty or damaged, your computer should still boot up to check it. But if it still doesn't boot up. Your drive is not the problem. Proceed to next step.
2. remove your RAM(memory stick), clean it (with a pencil eraser) and put it back to it's place CORRECTLY. Yeah i know you did not do anything on it in the past, it just works sometimes. Still doesn't?
3. Clear CMOS. How? It can be done in two ways:
*turn off computer, remove the CMOS battery from your motherboard for 30 seconds and put it back.
*Jumper. Just google it.
and yeah it's safe.
4. If it still doesn't work, try to unplug your CD drive and power on your system.
5. if none of these works. Well this is all i know. T_T
Last edited by rolandroi at May 19, 2013,
Quote by rolandroi
FIRST THINGS FIRST!
2. remove your RAM(memory stick), clean it (with a pencil eraser) and put it back to it's place CORRECTLY. Yeah i know you did not do anything on it in the past, it just works sometimes. Still doesn't?

By 'memory stick', he means these...

not this.

And for the love of god don't clean them with a pencil eraser.
Quote by element4433
What if the way their wieners were positioned they could only pee into each other's mouths?

And one had his finger joined to the other's butthole?

PLAY
UG
MINECRAFT

Or don't. Yeah don't.
Quote by Laird95
And for the love of god don't clean them with a pencil eraser.

trust me, it's the most effective and safest way to clean it. Cleaning it with anything else like cloth or cotton will put a scratch on it, a paint brush won't clean it well. It needs rubbing and don't forget the blowing part Use your mouth, but avoid spitting . you can use your paint brush to clean the ram slots. it just feels so artistic and shit.

PS. you only need to clean the pins, not the whole RAM, you dumbass.
And i forgot to say, If nothing seems running, CPU fan, power supply fan, no lights, it's a different problem. You're ****ED! i'm outta here.
Last edited by rolandroi at May 19, 2013,
Ok, I have to admit I'm borderline ******ed when it comes to computers... So yeah I don't have a memory stick like the one posted above... When i try to start it it gives me safe mode safe mode networking start normally and maybe one more... But once it gets to the point oof of loading vista it just stops...

Edit: I guess I thought boot meant to get to the home screen....
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

Last edited by brandon2784 at May 19, 2013,
If it starts booting but seems to stop at some point, use your OS startup disk/stick/floppy disk (lol) and try some of the startup repair tools. If that doesn't work, chances are high your HDD is f**ked. It happens, depending on how old the hard drive is (and in some cases when it was built) and how hot it got. Try connecting it to another PC, not as a boot device but as a secondary hard drive. If you have problems accessing it, try running some checks on it.

that's all I can think of right now. I have some experience with faulty PC hardware, a lot of f**ked HDDs from 2011/2012 especially, since they seem to have used lower quality parts during that period....
Last edited by jinsu2301 at May 19, 2013,