Hey guys

I recently started learning guitar again and got myself a squire telecaster which is really nice for the price.

I have always wanted a SG and a Les Paul style guitar, im looking at epiphone due to my budget vs gibsons.

My question is, is there a large difference between the two? Im comparing a G-400 against a Standard Plus Top Pro. The price difference is quite a lot but im wondering how different they are as guitars.

I will try them out before purchase but am not near a guitar shop at the moment so doing my online research!
Oh god. We just done this, it wasn't pretty.

The amount of pieces to make the guitar are different. Gibson use 1 piece, sometimes 2 for the body, Epiphone use 3 pieces generally.
The neck on a Gibson is made of one piece, Epiphones are 3 piece, sometimes 2 pieces depending on the model but mostly 3.
The quality of wood. Honduras Mahogany for the Gibson and Asian for the Epiphones. Yep, it's cheaper to get the Asian and it's more easily acquired.
The inlays aren't painted on a Gibson.
The pickups.
The carved top vs veneer.
The binding.
The customer care.
The pickups.
The nitro.
The plek.
The history.

Go and play a few. There's a good few higher end Gibsons that are comparable to lower end Gibsons. IMO the Studios and upwards are much better than any Epiphones.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at May 19, 2013,
Quote by Mephaphil
Oh god. We just done this, it wasn't pretty.

The amount of pieces to make the guitar are different. Gibson use 1 piece, sometimes 2 for the body, Epiphone use 3 pieces generally.
The neck on a Gibson is made of one piece, Epiphones are 3 piece, sometimes 2 pieces depending on the model but mostly 3.
The quality of wood. Honduras Mahogany for the Gibson and Asian for the Epiphones. Yep, it's cheaper to get the Asian and it's more easily acquired.
The inlays aren't painted on a Gibson.
The pickups.
The carved top vs veneer.
The binding.
The customer care.
The pickups.
The nitro.
The plek.
The history.

Go and play a few. There's a good few higher end Gibsons that are comparable to lower end Gibsons. IMO the Studios and upwards are much better than any Epiphones.

hey sorry you mis understand i think, i dont want a gibson, cant justify the cost. im asking between epi SG and LP's
Ooooh. Sorry.

They're completely different guitars. Just look at them.

SGs use P90s which are like a mixture of a single coil and a humbucker. They have a slightly more trebley tone due to that, also the body is thinner and lighter which makes it brighter. The lack of weight is a good thing for lots but Epiphones don't weigh that much anyway.

It's a completely different guitar, you can't compare them against each other very well.

They sound different, feel different and play different. Play them and find out what you like.

I will add that the Epiphone SG isn't a great guitar. The Plus Top Pro is much better. Also, you can get a Gibson Faded Studio used for not too much more and I had one and it was awesome, especially for the price.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

SG's don't all use P90s. And some Les Pauls use P90s as well. Honestly the only difference I can think of between a like for like comparison of a Les Paul and an SG is the body. SG is thinner, and therefore lighter. Also considered brighter because of this. The double cut allows easier playability of the higher frets too IMO.

They're not completely different, but they have a different feel. It's down to you to decide which looks and feels better.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
SG's don't all use P90s. And some Les Pauls use P90s as well. Honestly the only difference I can think of between a like for like comparison of a Les Paul and an SG is the body. SG is thinner, and therefore lighter. Also considered brighter because of this. The double cut allows easier playability of the higher frets too IMO.

They're not completely different, but they have a different feel. It's down to you to decide which looks and feels better.

i prefer the look of the les paul, i had heared about that brightness difference due to the thickness, on youtube they sounded very similar to me so i thought i would ask since the SG is a fair bit cheaper
Quote by Lavatain

That's true, I should have highlighted that they do use both pickups. hat's true, I should have highlighted that. Les Paul Juniors have P-90s. But generally speaking, 9/10 SG's will have P-90s and 9/10 LP's will have Humbuckers.

Quote by InfernoUk
i prefer the look of the les paul, i had heared about that brightness difference due to the thickness, on youtube they sounded very similar to me so i thought i would ask since the SG is a fair bit cheaper

A P-90 is quite distinguishable from a Humbucker to me. Depending on your experience you may not be able to differentiate between them as well. But trust me, there is a definite difference in tone between the two guitars you've listed. I've played them both.

EDIT: I seems that there are more humbucker SGs than I thought.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by InfernoUk

SG's are less costly guitars to build in their nature. They don't have flamed maple tops, sunburst finishes, body binding, and they have thinner bodies. That doesn't make them lesser quality guitars by any means.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Mephaphil
That's true, I should have highlighted that. Les Paul Juniors have P-90s. But generally speaking, 9/10 SG's will have P-90s and 9/10 LP's will have Humbuckers.

But the majority of SGs have humbuckers. There's maybe a few more SG models with P90s than there are LPs with P90s, but still...

A quick look down the SG page on the Gibby website shows about 50 models with humbuckers and about 10 with P90s.

EDIT: Did you ninja-edit me?
I guess I did lol. I changed it back to keep with accuracy.

I looked into it and realised that there were more models than I thought with humbuckers.

Thinking about it, most of the ones in my local shop are humbuckers so I don't know why I thought that. I just associate them much much more with SGs.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445