So i play quite a few dropped D songs and i was considering getting a 5 string cause i hate retuning, and i asked advice from the guy at the shop and he said rather than getting a 5 string you could just get a 4 string and leave it in dropped D tuning.

So i was wondering what you guys think should i get a 5 string or a 4 string to leave in dropped D.

Also if i left it in dropped D is there any way around how weird the string tension feels?
Quote by tmtheturtle
So i play quite a few dropped D songs and i was considering getting a 5 string cause i hate retuning, and i asked advice from the guy at the shop and he said rather than getting a 5 string you could just get a 4 string and leave it in dropped D tuning.

So i was wondering what you guys think should i get a 5 string or a 4 string to leave in dropped D.

Also if i left it in dropped D is there any way around how weird the string tension feels?

Tuning a 5 sting with a low B to a D is a bad idea, too much string tension. Also, how would you tune the 5 sting? DEADG?

Get a 4 string, tune it DADG and get it set up properly, that funny feeling will go.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
Oh no i meant just learn the dropped D songs on the B string. It's having the notes there that is the problem for me not so much where they are on the fretboard.
Well, if you play drop D stuff on the low B, the open D would be the third fret, and you can work from there.

This is fine, unless you do a lot of high speed pedalling on the open D (think Lamb of God's Walk With Me in Hell main riff.) . Having to go back to that third fret, at high speed, is difficult. Not impossible, but difficult. Of course you can string skip, but again, you're making things a little difficult. Then there's the whole tone thing- the timbre of notes changes on different strings.
If you don't think you'll be using the low B, C or C# much, then you should get another 4-string and keep it in Drop D. Otherwise you'll have the same problems you would get trying to play standard tuning songs on a Drop D guitar.

If the low D is flabby, you should get a slightly thicker string for it.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Drop tuning songs have a certain play to them. It's really hard to just compromise using the 3rd fret. I know because I've tried it.

I think you just need to learn to tune your string down to D and back up to E. I've seen guitarists and bassists who need a tuner to do it, or can just take up to like 20 seconds. For me it's as simple as half a second tune, going up or down. You just need to learn to tune it real fast and get used to the slightly looser feel of the down tuned D.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Look at Hipshot D-Tuner. It should allow you to quickly detune your E string to D. I haven't used it thought, so I have no idea is it really convenient.
I found for me unless the song really needed the open D I preferred just using my 5 string. I did have a few songs both covers and originals that just didn't work out well and used my 4 string but if it could be done I liked the 5. If you haven't played a 5 much I'd say try one out and see how it feels playing the songs you need to see if you like it. I've seen people who hate them but I fell in love with mine the day I bought it (played a show with it the next day that was interesting to say the least)
Quote by Zaqq
Look at Hipshot D-Tuner. It should allow you to quickly detune your E string to D. I haven't used it thought, so I have no idea is it really convenient.

^This. I've got one on one of my basses (it came with it) and while I don't use it much, it certainly works. Throw the lever and you're in drop-D; flip it back and you're back to "E."
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I am rather new to playing a 5 string, and am rather new to playing dropped D songs in a band setting. If I only have my 5 string with me for rehearsal, depending on the song, I will tune drop D on my 5 string. I then tune my low B to A (then I ask we play out Korn songs before I tune again!). If I am playing a song like, Stinkfist or any Tool song that I know really, I find having the open D is so important that I prefer playing open D as opposed to playing a D on the 3rd fret. I like being tuned like the guitarists just for continuity. I play a 5 string to increase my range, not to prevent re (or de) tuning. If the guitarist(s) tune down a half step, I technically don't need to, it's just less confusing in the long run since we are always learning new songs. That's just what I prefer. When I first heard of the Hipshot D-tuners I thought "COOL!"
Don't get a 5 string thinking you'll be able to play drop D/drop C songs on it without retuning. It's a PITA to try to get from whatever fret you're on down to 3/1 on the B and then back again. Agreed on the D-Tuner if you really don't want to have to retune.