Page 1 of 2
Hi I just bought a used bugera 333xl and a day later my led lights went off , noise gate and the boost stopped working and my gain seems to be lacking . Any idea what those problems are and how I could fix it ? Thanks for the advice in advance
Yep take it to a tech.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Take it to your local guitar/amp tech and buy a new one - something that ain't a Bugera. I hate to play the part of a Bugera hater, but have you read about all the problems they have? Sure, you may be able to find one that doesn't catch fire and implode, but there are far better amps out there. I'm sure all the Bugera fanboys will rush me, but that's ok. Fact is, Bugera sucks.
Owned one of these, and didn't have the problems you had. No, I just had a tube blow out on the second day. Seriously, trade that piece of shite and get yourself a 6505+. You and yours will thank you for it.
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
My friend bought that amp brand new never took it out anywhere only played it in his garage at medium volume levels. Then a year later POOF! Stopped working and started smoking. Now its just an expensive paperweight. He took good care of it too. Always making sure to cover it unplug it he never moved it or dropped it.
esp ltd ec 1000 vb
schecter blackjack atx c -1 aged white
prs se singlecut fully modded

peavey 5150 combo celestion hot 100 speakers
Quote by AsOneIStand
Owned one of these, and didn't have the problems you had. No, I just had a tube blow out on the second day. Seriously, trade that piece of shite and get yourself a 6505+. You and yours will thank you for it.

But that's the JSX clone not the 5150 clone
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Take it to a tech

Aye take it to a tech, be warned though, it might be worth more to start investing into a new amp so get a quote from the tech before you do anything
The guy whom you bought the amp from really ****ed you over.

It was probably the reason why he sold it.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
might be , but yea i'll take it to the tech and no waay i could get a peavey 6505+ , its about 1000 usd here .
its around 800 dollars , too much unfortunately . Besides the bugeras are better in cleans and some say the distortion is better that the 6505
Where do you live?
We might be able to find you something
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
hell i live really really far away from you guys...wait for it....Malaysia. There aint no way in hell we could get instuments cheap here unless we get it from ishibashi . Thanks for the help though
They are OK amps for their price. But I wouldn't buy them used to be honest. They sell many, many more than peavey so it's expected that there will be more of them that will fail even with the same failure rate. So if you cannot turn it back take it to a tech. It doesn't sound like a problem that could be easily fixed especially by someone who doesn't know to repair amps. Or if it's possible ask the guy who sold it to you if it's still under warranty.
Last edited by Sethis at May 19, 2013,
^ A warranty generally applies to the original purchaser, unless otherwise stated by the manufacturer.
Quote by Sethis
They are OK amps for their price. But I wouldn't buy them used to be honest. They sell many, many more than peavey so it's expected that there will be more of them that will fail even with the same failure rate. So if you cannot turn it back take it to a tech. It doesn't sound like a problem that could be easily fixed especially by someone who doesn't know to repair amps. Or if it's possible ask the guy who sold it to you if it's still under warranty.

First, I've seen the failure rates of both companies from Thomann's website (what I'd consider a 'large sample') and from memory Bugera's was a full percentage or two worse than Peavey's. Note that these are percentages so volume is irrelevant.

Second, Peavey has sold many, many, many more amps than Bugera. There are Peavey amps in closets right now that won't be played for another ten years but will do so flawlessly when that day comes... 'Bugera' is a flash in the pan at this point.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at May 20, 2013,
Quote by Sethis
Peavey is built like an absolute tank and always have been. I've got an '89 VTM that is still going strong without any sign of fault in the slightest. I would be surprised to see a Bugera last that long.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
the previous owner agreed to let me swap it for a peavey vypyr tube 60 , should i go with with it considering i dont gig much and most of the time im a bedroom musician . Besides how does the peavey go against what bugera tone wise ?
The Vypyr tube 60 is a nice amp and you should be happy with it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by KG6_Steven
^ A warranty generally applies to the original purchaser, unless otherwise stated by the manufacturer.

True, but he can ask the original purchaser to return it for him.

Come on guys, I didn't say they are exceptional amps. I said they are OK for their price. The current models are not as bad as their reputation here.

Quote by tubetime86
First, I've seen the failure rates of both companies from Thomann's website

I've seen it some time ago too but I can't find it atm. Do you have a link?
Last edited by Sethis at May 20, 2013,
Quote by Sethis
True, but he can ask the original purchaser to return it for him.

Come on guys, I didn't say they are exceptional amps. I said they are OK for their price. The current models are not as bad as their reputation here.

I've seen it some time ago too but I can't find it atm. Do you have a link?

Last I looked they had either pulled it down or just made it a real pain to find, but I do remember it was something like 4% for Peavey and 5.5% for Bugera...

You said they sell many, many more amps than Peavey, which is just not true... That's the main reason people are jumping on you.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Charabian
hell i live really really far away from you guys...wait for it....Malaysia. There aint no way in hell we could get instuments cheap here unless we get it from ishibashi . Thanks for the help though

then do that. ishibashi will cut decent deals, see what they have used.
Quote by tubetime86
You said they sell many, many more amps than Peavey, which is just not true... That's the main reason people are jumping on you.

Look, I'm guessing over the last decades Peavey has probably sold more. But that's because they're an old company. At the moment Bugeras are selling like crazy.
Quote by Sethis
Look, I'm guessing over the last decades Peavey has probably sold more. But that's because they're an old company.

No guessing needed, they have sold more. Yes it is because they've been around longer, but that's not just an unrelated side note; they've been around for so long because they make quality products that are well respected throughout the music industry (not just guitar related.)

Quote by Sethis
At the moment Bugeras are selling like crazy.

Do you have any data to support your assertion that the rate at which Bugeras are being sold is somehow comparable to a mental health disorder?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
hi , my bugera 333xl is now fully functional but it is too loud for home use/practice and i cant crank it much as i'll piss the neighbours off , should i get an attenuator like a thd hotplate and will it affect my tone and shorten the lifespan of my tubes . Sorry I'm kinda new to tube amps
It's funny with how much passion people around here will take down any one who makes the slightest favorable comment about Bugera. I love it.

Quote by Charabian
hi , my bugera 333xl is now fully functional but it is too loud for home use/practice and i cant crank it much as i'll piss the neighbours off , should i get an attenuator like a thd hotplate and will it affect my tone and shorten the lifespan of my tubes . Sorry I'm kinda new to tube amps

You shouldn't need an attenuator. The 333xl should sound good at relatively low volumes. You won't get any power amp distortion but that probably won't bother you. And yes an attenuator will shorten your tubes' lifespan.
Quote by Sethis
It's funny with how much passion people around here will take down any one who makes the slightest favorable comment about Bugera. I love it.

It's funny how people who post inaccurate information always attribute other's corrections of their inaccuracies to some sort of personal bias... Rather than just realizing that they were posting bullshit and someone called them on it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
It's funny how people who post inaccurate information always attribute other's corrections of their inaccuracies to some sort of personal bias... Rather than just realizing that they were posting bullshit and someone called them on it.

No innacurate information was given by me man, I just saw innacurate assumptions about my accurate information.

It's still funny.
Then provide a source... Show me any reasonable proof that Bugera is selling 'many, many more' than Bugera. Can't? Maybe that's because it's bullshit you made up.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Sure, that's only one of these sources: http://www.thomann.de/gb/prod_vrank~ncx.html?ar=180482

I don't think that's strange, they are affordable and they have almost no competitor at their price range.
Quote by Sethis
Sure, that's only one of these sources: http://www.thomann.de/gb/prod_vrank~ncx.html?ar=180482

I don't think that's strange, they are affordable and they have almost no competitor at their price range.

They cheap pieces of shit with low quality. You get what you pay for. If you can afford one and it works for you great. I think half their problems are cheap chinese tubes.

They are just poorly made and you can't get around that. I saw them at NAMM, and even the display cabs and heads just looked poorly made. Gaps in the tolex, glue visible, etc. Just the build quality alone would have me stay away. Then again I have a larger income for buying amps.

Quote by Charabian

You don't want an attenuator. They are made for getting power tube distortion out of your amp. Your amps sound is from preamp distortion. Use the volume knob.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at May 20, 2013,
Quote by Sethis

Actually most people here will tell you that Bugera's do sound good. But they are made with very cheap components and really bad QC, that is a fact.

I have a Bugera 333 and it sounds really nice, but I have had it worked on quite a bit since I have had it. I bought my Krank 1980Jr for $300 used and it is an infinitely better made amp. I can not get $200 for my 333 and it has $100+ in brand new tubes in it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Sethis

Oh ok, so now when you said 'many, many more' you meant 'tube guitar heads' only? The posts are moving...

As Rob said, people bashing the tone of Bugera's on this site is extremely rare. In fact your initial conclusion of buying them new rather than used for the sake of the warranty is one I hear often on here, from regulars. It wasn't the fact that you made 'the slightest favorable comment about Bugera' it was that you posted a misleading at best and flat out wrong at worst basis for your conclusion.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
TS, where exactly do you stay in Malaysia? If you're in Johor or Malacca, you should make a trip to Singapore, there're significantly more choices there.

If you're further up North, you should go to Thailand, again more choices.

Malaysia's music stores are major dicks charging exorbitant and unjustified prices.

If you can get a Vypyr Tube 60 that's pretty neat. In a place like Malaysia I'd completely bypass Bugera if I were you, given that fire insurance is pretty pathetic and the fire department don't do their damned jobs.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Charabian

Wait. Your 333xl now all of the sudden works? Care to tell us how that came about?

As mentioned, you absolutely do not want an attenuator. But yeah, they are loud amps.

Quote by Sethis
The current models are not as bad as their reputation here.

I see just as may 'issue' threads here on UG regarding the Infinium series as the old series. The original V55s had an overheating problem. The V22s are pretty nice and we do not hear of too many issues on those.
For what it's worth, I have two 333xls, one combo pre-infinium, and a head/cab infinium. I was honestly surprised by the quality (why I bought a second). Never had any issues at all. People in here are really aggressive about these amps, and the funny thing is, most of the people who complain about the quality of these amps have never actually owned one. You can call me an exception or whatever, but to call the whole brand and line-up "shit" is simply ridiculous. I don't usually post in gear threads, but I felt it needed to be said.

(I just wanted to add, I think a lot of people on here are forgetting that for many people, these are their very first tube amps, and as such most do not know proper care and procedure for them. So I wouldn't be surprised if many incidents arose from things that are clear no-no's for more experienced users)
Quote by whitenihilist
Asada is schooling Playmadness.

Quote by Victory2134
Asada confirmed for coolest guy in here.
Last edited by Asada Hiruka at May 21, 2013,
Quote by tubetime86
Oh ok, so now when you said 'many, many more' you meant 'tube guitar heads' only? The posts are moving...

Lol dude, it's a tube guitar head, what should I compare it to? Coffee makers? I compare it mainly to the amps it copies.

Apart from that, I will agree to one thing with you guys. Their quality control is kinda bad...I can't see why they call it quality control. As I said, that's one of the reasons they're a lot cheaper. That's why I also recommended that you get a warranty. But I don't think their build quality is much worse compared to most mass produced chinese amps.

And as you said, the failure rate is like only 1~1,5% greater than peavey which are indeed better quality amps. But for almost 1/3rd of the price I don't think bugera's are a really bad deal. That's all.
Last edited by Sethis at May 21, 2013,
Page 1 of 2