I plan on traveling around the world within the next two or three years. Fly to northern Europe and work my way down and across. The idea is to visit most of Europe (which I have been fortunate enough to have done already), north and middle Africa and work my way into the Middle East and the countries surrounding and including India (would love to hike the Himalayas and live with monks for a while). I would then go to China and gallivant my way to Malaysia, Australia, and the islands such as Fiji and the like. I would finish the trip with going through South America and then back home to the U.S.

Has anyone done anything like this? What was the experience like? Cost (I understand that it isn't that bad if you plan accordingly)? For anyone living in these countries: what must I see? Comments and advice would be great.

Cheers, Russ
Quote by rock-n-roll101
Has anyone done anything like this? What was the experience like? Cost (I understand that it isn't that bad if you plan accordingly)?

The fuck
Check out my band Disturbed
Hey Russ!
I'm also called Russ ^_^ At the moment North Africa is in a bit of a state, the whole Libya thing is still causing shit, and if you plan on going through Egypt/Israel you're gonna have to go through some rough areas.
Personally at the moment I'd skip from Egypt to India, maybe hit Saudi in between. If you do plan on going to Egypt obviously see dem' pyramids. Museum of Cairo is really cool too, and further down the country you've got Luxor with Karnak Temple and Valley of the Kinds etc. Most of Europe is cool at the moment, apart from a few areas that were hideously racist when we went a few months back. And Greece is particularly cool, provided you aren't German. Bit expensive right now though.
I'm yet to have the chance of seeing anywhere east of Madagascar, but I'd love to see India and China, and South Korea too.
And if you come up to the UK, Manchester - such a good night life and there's a gig every day at one of the venues across town.
Hope you have a great time whatever you do!
Silverburst
Quote by StewieSwan
The fuck

whats wrong stewie
BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

I SAY, I SAY, BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

They say when they finally attack, all the impostors will peel themselves. In order to tell if you have been assimilated, check for a zipper somewhere near your pelvis.

Quote by StewieSwan
The fuck

Different websites that I have gone to have the prices ranging from 15,000 U.S. to 40,000 U.S. It isn't that bad - that includes room and board, food, and miscellaneous expenditures. The annual minimum wage is between $15,000 - $20,000. I have been saving for a while and am going to continue saving. I am lucky enough to have a decent job for someone being so young, so the price isn't that outlandish.
For Africa/Asia/South America I would budget $1000 a month. For Europe, North America and Australia, I imagine the cost would be considerably higher but I cant put a dollar amount on it.

Edit:

You may want to consider starting by working in Australia on a working holiday:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Last edited by sacamano79 at May 19, 2013,
Quote by rock-n-roll101
Different websites that I have gone to have the prices ranging from 15,000 U.S. to 40,000 U.S. It isn't that bad - that includes room and board, food, and miscellaneous expenditures. The annual minimum wage is between $15,000 - $20,000. I have been saving for a while and am going to continue saving. I am lucky enough to have a decent job for someone being so young, so the price isn't that outlandish.

inb4 you're 35 and with no money, wishing that you could have those two or three years of work and 15-40 grand that you frivolously wasted on instant gratification/you get killed in a foreign country

Seriously, why don't you put that money towards something that is actually useful rather than casually throwing it away on something that you probably won't enjoy as much as you think you will/will get you killed.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
inb4 you're 35 and with no money, wishing that you could have those two or three years of work and 15-40 grand that you frivolously wasted on instant gratification/you get killed in a foreign country

Seriously, why don't you put that money towards something that is actually useful rather than casually throwing it away on something that you probably won't enjoy as much as you think you will/will get you killed.

Umm what? Travelling is more valuable then work as long as you don't come home with heaps of debt. Explain to me how seeing the world, doing something you dreamed about, and having an experience that will no doubt change you is a waste? Gonna go out on a limb here and guess you've never done a big trip.
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12
Warmoth Strat
Richmond Dorchester
Boss RC-50
Line 6 DL-4
Digitech Whammy 4
Zvex Mastotron
Boss RT-20
Quote by bobtrack
Umm what? Travelling is more valuable then work as long as you don't come home with heaps of debt. Explain to me how seeing the world, doing something you dreamed about, and having an experience that will no doubt change you is a waste? Gonna go out on a limb here and guess you've never done a big trip.

I'd guess he's thinking that the lack of (verifiable) working history will harm your earning prospects after your travelling. Which could put massive pressures on you (financially) in your mid 30s when a lot of people have a lot of commitments such as a family or mortgage repayments.

At that point 15-40k could come in handy.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Thanks so much for breaking that down for me! I went travelling for 2 years after University and have had no problem with getting work. Granted I had plenty of work experience before and I worked a bit on the trip. (great way to meet locals, network yourself)
My current employer was actually thrilled that I had travelled too, it gives your real world experience.
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12
Warmoth Strat
Richmond Dorchester
Boss RC-50
Line 6 DL-4
Digitech Whammy 4
Zvex Mastotron
Boss RT-20