Page 1 of 2
no and now that some celebrity's tits are involved doesn't change my answer.
i don't know why i feel so dry
BTW, if the Supreme Court allows it, Myriad is expected to receive a windfall because cancer testing will be funded by the taxpayer through Obamacare.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
I didn't really get what was going on. Then I read

"As the patent owner, Myriad has the exclusive right to test for those genes, keeping other biotech firms from developing their own diagnostic tools."

nope nope nope nope
**** no. but they do. so we're ****ed.

kind of puts a damper on the whole 'unlimited competitive progress' thing capitalism boasts about
Wait a minute let me get this straight, they have a gene that may be a cause to breast cancer, but they are trying to patent it so other companies can't try to work on it as well?
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Completely unrelated but Ali, isn't the saying "puts a dampener on..."?

The idea of a putting a soda bread on anything doesn't seem right The Wiki for Damper's first line reads "Damper is a traditional Australian soda bread prepared by swagmen"...made me giggle
my mom is considering getting one of these tests. it would great if they were cheaper and therefore more available. it would allow women (and men?) to take precautions if they know they're particularly susceptible. not necessarily in a radical surgical procedure, but through frequent examinations.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by willT08

The idea of a putting a soda bread on anything doesn't seem right The Wiki for Damper's first line reads "Damper is a traditional Australian soda bread prepared by swagmen"...made me giggle

I guess so. I always heard 'damper' rather than 'dampener'.

My life is so hard just look at my spelling.
Quote by willT08

I'm going to now patent the soda bread gene.
nope

they also shouldn't be able to patent drugs, code, mechanisms and all that jazz but alas
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at May 19, 2013,
The system of patenting things is a joke which just encourages corporate greed
I have nothing important to say
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
**** no. but they do. so we're ****ed.

kind of puts a damper on the whole 'unlimited competitive progress' thing capitalism boasts about

This is crony capitalism. A monopoly through a patent and taxpayer funding for tests. Talk about an awesome business plan.....
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
They should be allowed to patent human genes, just like I should be allowed to patent naturally occurring elements.
Now I want my licensed carbon back.
Quote by lncognito
They should be allowed to patent human genes, just like I should be allowed to patent naturally occurring elements.
Now I want my licensed carbon back.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure all the patents for those argon.
This is why anything medical should not be privately funded. Especially medical research. We're looking for the human race to profit here, not a private company.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
Quote by NeutralFan
This is why anything medical should not be privately funded. Especially medical research. We're looking for the human race to profit here, not a private company.

You're also acting like corporations aren't some of the most heavy handed entities in government. Lobbying would still **** things up.
Quote by willT08
I didn't really get what was going on. Then I read

"As the patent owner, Myriad has the exclusive right to test for those genes, keeping other biotech firms from developing their own diagnostic tools."

nope nope nope nope

Ok, having just read that line as well...I'm with Will. There is no reason that it should be that way.

If anything, genes should be owned by either the person who has those genes or by their descendants (or, if they have no descendants, then they shouldn't be held by anyone). Corporations should be asking permission from the person who owns those genes.

Quote by blake1221
You're also acting like corporations aren't some of the most heavy handed entities in government. Lobbying would still **** things up.

This. Lobbying is a bad deal when it comes to something like this.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 19, 2013,
Quote by Morphogenesis26
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure all the patents for those argon.

unless you've got the money, i hear they sulfur a lot
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Masquirina
Maybe you should hydrogen etic code from corporations until they leave you polonium.

These puns are so cringe-worthy...
Did no one else notice the lab technician in the picture in the link of the OP wearing shorts? Did no one else notice that?
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
You cannot patent what you cannot make.
You cannot patent what naturally exists.
You cannot patent agriculture, air, water, iron, soundwaves, gravity, etc.
So why the hell should corporations be allowed to patent genetic defects ?
No, not for a naturally occurring gene.

Now if they modify a gene and change it to something else that doesn't naturally exist, I think they have some rights to that.
Quote by daytripper75
No, not for a naturally occurring gene.

Now if they modify a gene and change it to something else that doesn't naturally exist, I think they have some rights to that.

Seems like a recipe for disaster, really.

"Scientists have discovered the cure for AIDS. Anyone affected by it is allowed to purchase a copy of it after filing license requests at the gouvernment and paying $1.000.000,- up front."
I don't know how patents work, but it should be illegal to patent something that you didn't create. On the other hand, people don't know what to do with themselves when they smell money. They're like dogs chasing tails, quite sad actually.
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
Hell no. There are some things that are too important for the general welfare of the human species for it to come down to trivial things like who did it first. Imagine if you had to pay fees and royalties every time you used a wheel.
PM me for newts
Last edited by StewieSwan at May 19, 2013,
I don't even understand the patent. It's like patenting spectroscopy. I mean I really don't get it, does the patent say "we own the space around these genes, you can't look at them, go away!"?

How can your patent prevent other people from checking for something via a different method?
Quote by sage76
BTW, if the Supreme Court allows it, Myriad is expected to receive a windfall because cancer testing will be funded by the taxpayer through Obamacare.

Using the people's money so that other people can get tested for cancer? Thanks, Obama.

Quote by Lavatain
Did no one else notice the lab technician in the picture in the link of the OP wearing shorts? Did no one else notice that?

No he's not. He's wearing nothing under the lab coat. It's common practice in a lab in summer, when all the massive machines are on heating the room up.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Quote by RealUnrealRob
I don't even understand the patent. It's like patenting spectroscopy. I mean I really don't get it, does the patent say "we own the space around these genes, you can't look at them, go away!"?

How can your patent prevent other people from checking for something via a different method?

It can't. But in theory, the patent would prevent others from developing similar technology, which is an issue.
As far as I can tell the patent in the article is for a testing method, not the actual gene. I don't even see how you could patent a gene. That's just absurd.

Now the issues they talked about in the article are a lot more complicated than what are presented in the article. My uni teaches full courses on this kind of stuff. My understanding only goes as far as we had to in basic genetics.
Quote by Lord_Doku
Seems like a recipe for disaster, really.

"Scientists have discovered the cure for AIDS. Anyone affected by it is allowed to purchase a copy of it after filing license requests at the gouvernment and paying $1.000.000,- up front."

Sounds like I should patent some cures for diseases.
They could, in theory, patent a specific technology for detecting that gene, but if they're just using standard sequencing and codon flagging then there's nothing for them to patent.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by The Article in OP
Currently, some 20 percent of the 4,000 genes found in the human body have been patented

It's hard for me to take this article seriously anymore.
Page 1 of 2