Hi All,
I've been listening to random songs just to see if I can first find the key of the song and then play the correct chords based on the key notes. (My dad is a pastor and I'm learning for his church where they randomly start singing a random song and the musicians just jump in with the music with no preparation).

Well first question is:
I was listing to a song where I thought the key was in E minor.
So I was playing the E minor pentatonic scale up at the 12th fret and it sounded ok.
E 12-15
A 12-14
D 12-14
G 12-14
B 12-15
E 12-15

but then the open E chord didn't sound good over it. But then open G, C and D did sound good.....

Why doesn't the open E chord work?

Second question:
Is there a pedal I can turn on and off my guitar into head phones or an ear piece to hear my guitar and other can't hear it?
Then when I figure out the song I can switch it back over to the loud speakers and turn my head phones off?
Playing an E major chord over an E minor song will sound weird. The 3rds (the note which distinguishes major from minor) will clash.

Regarding your second question, I'm not certain what you are asking - what is the scenario, live performance (with PA system?) or just bedroom jamming? Either way, you might be better asking in the Guitar Gear & Accessories forum.
edit: ah, if you are performing in a church band, I would first ask why there is no communication between musicians regarding the key - surely someone has sheet music in front of them?
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at May 19, 2013,
Regarding the second question, you could run into an A/B box and route into a headphone amp, then switch back. But levels could be tricky...you'd have to hear the band and your guitar; maybe one earphone off ear? In freestyle jams I usually keep an eye on the bassist or another guitar player to see what they're playing to give me a clue...same as when playing along with a song I don't know yet in practice.

I concur with Hydra though, what magic does this band possess that they can spontaneously burst into a song with nobody knowing the music? Communication is key. Or are they intentionally keeping you in the dark as some twisted right of initiation? Lol
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
If you played those notes over an E chord (and nothing else) you would be playing the E minor pentatonic.

If you played those notes over G, C , D, you would be playing the G major scale.

You probably like the sound of a major scale more.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
If you played those notes over an E chord (and nothing else) you would be playing the E minor pentatonic.

If you played those notes over G, C , D, you would be playing the G major scale.

You probably like the sound of a major scale more.

yeah,...thats what confused me...I liked the way it sounded better over the G, C and D. vs the E

and it's hard to explain in a pentcostoal church.

There is no order.... people just start singing random songs it's what (the holy spirit) tells them to sing or do at the time....and the musicians have to just back them up with the proper music.
Give the holy spirit a tuning note to start to
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at May 20, 2013,
Quote by ken styles
yeah,...thats what confused me...I liked the way it sounded better over the G, C and D. vs the E

and it's hard to explain in a pentcostoal church.

There is no order.... people just start singing random songs it's what (the holy spirit) tells them to sing or do at the time....and the musicians have to just back them up with the proper music.

Well from what I know the Holy Spirit has a strong preference for diatonic melodies so just go for major and minor scales.

Id also learn about keys and identifying the tonal center by ear.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud