I'm looking for a condenser that will sound great for both guitar and vocals. Both are needed as much as each other. Looking at standard XLR connections.

Budget would be £150 but if there's something good enough for up to £180 I'll consider it!

I've looked towards the Sennheiser e606 and Rode NT-1A (I have experience with the Rode for both guitar and vocal applications) but looking for more suggestions.

Cheers!
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Electric or acoustic??

You'd be better off getting a good solid large-diaphragm under £100 and then use the leftover cash for a handheld dynamic for guitar cabs - used sm57, Prodipe TT1, Blue Encore 100i, that kind of thing.
Sorry! I meant Electric Guitar. The amp more specifically. I have an SM57 and an SM58, but want to use a condenser mixed with the SM57 to get a better sound from a miked up guitar cab, but also want to be able to use the condenser to record vocals with the SM58 behind it.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
http://www.seelectronics.com/se-x1-microphone I'm a big fan of these both for vocals and guitars. The built in pad and bass filter are a nice little bonus as well, very useful. I found it doesn't pick up too much of the guitars fizzyness so it's quite a nice partner for the SM57.

http://www.production-room.com/avantone-speakers/avantone-ck6/ I also think this would be a nice choice as well especially for vocals. I've never used one on electric guitar but I have a friend who says that it can get quite nice results when paired with something like an i5 or 57.
If you want to record vocals, then you'll want a LDC like Kyle recommended.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
If you want to record vocals, then you'll want a LDC like Kyle recommended.

I understand this, I've done recording with a few different mics. The Rode comes to mind most prominently here. Just I wanted suggestions on others that could do guitar cabs just as great. The Rode wasn't great but got the job done nicely, especially for it's price bracket too I think.

The sE x1 looks pretty good, I'm definitely considering that!
Hold on.

What KIND of vocals are we talking about here? You have a metal amp in your signature... are you recording sung or screamed vocals?

That being said - I can't really see why you'd want to use a condenser mic and then put an SM58 behind it, too. I mean, go for it, you might as well try it, but it's very rare that I'd choose to even use a vocal track recorded with an SM58, unless there was no other choice.

Also, assuming you're recording high gain guitar parts, I'm really not much of a fan of condensers on high gain tones. They can sound cool on lower to mid gain tones and give it some fullness and natural reverb, but on a high gain tone, they tend to create a lot of uncontrolled lowend and accentuate the high end sizzle way too much. Really, if you can't get a killer sound out of your 5150 III and 1936 cab with an SM57, you're doing something wrong.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Hold on.

What KIND of vocals are we talking about here? You have a metal amp in your signature... are you recording sung or screamed vocals?

That being said - I can't really see why you'd want to use a condenser mic and then put an SM58 behind it, too. I mean, go for it, you might as well try it, but it's very rare that I'd choose to even use a vocal track recorded with an SM58, unless there was no other choice.

Also, assuming you're recording high gain guitar parts, I'm really not much of a fan of condensers on high gain tones. They can sound cool on lower to mid gain tones and give it some fullness and natural reverb, but on a high gain tone, they tend to create a lot of uncontrolled lowend and accentuate the high end sizzle way too much. Really, if you can't get a killer sound out of your 5150 III and 1936 cab with an SM57, you're doing something wrong.

I respect your opinions very highly, I'll start by saying that. However, I've heard nothing but good things to record an vocal part with both a condenser and running an SM58 behind it. When mixed in really low and even panned out a little bit with the condenser being centered, the 58 really can add a little warmth.

I'd be doing all sorts of vocals on the mic, clean, screams, shouts, melodic with rasp.. Whatever! I've yet to experiment with mixing many types of vocal and how to record all types, so a good all rounder, I'm not looking for anything in specific for vocal type.

With regards to the use of condensers on high gain.. I don't use a lot of gain. I keep my clarity there. My gain is barely above 4/10 on the hottest channel. The SM57 sounds great! I can get good tones out of it! But I like to experiment and I've had experience with using a Rode NT1-A mixed with an SM57, and also using an AKG C414 (which is was outta budget) with said SM57. I find the low end of the condensers go great with using the top end of the SM57, not to mention you're missing the frequencies 16k-20kHz roughly with the dynamic microphone. I know these aren't usually wanted, or that the guitar amp even produces them to a certain degree.
I like the Rode NT1-A for acoustic but I don't really like it by itself for vocals. There's just something about the high end that sounds weird to me, and it's not just an eq issue it's... hard to explain. Like a glassy brittleness? I don't know. Anyone else familiar with this mic know what I'm talking about?
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
I'm familiar with the mic OfCourseNot and i personally liked it. I think iknow what your talking about... Like the voice could shatter at anypoint.. and by that i mean a large dynamic burst. if that makes sense.
Quote by OfCourseNot
I like the Rode NT1-A for acoustic but I don't really like it by itself for vocals. There's just something about the high end that sounds weird to me, and it's not just an eq issue it's... hard to explain. Like a glassy brittleness? I don't know. Anyone else familiar with this mic know what I'm talking about?

Yeah, I've always avoided the NT-1A for the same reason. There's a nasty edge to the top end. Give me an SE or a Studio Projects any day.