Page 1 of 2
Whether its me playing an acoustic or an electric.. I cant stand using picks.. not to mention I'm not that good with picks, I mean I can use them.. but using my thumb as a pick feels waaaaaaay more natural and i find it easier and more fun. I've been playing for about a year now and I still use my thumb as a pick. I find it way more natural for me. Is this a bad technique? or should I just continue the way I like to play??
There is no 'right' or 'wrong' if it works for you, just play the guitar.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
if it works for you, then it works.

you might try using your other fingers as well and get great at fingerpicking, it all depends on what you prefer. it's not a bad technique either, there are some (quite a a lot actually) guitarists who play solely with their fingers. this guy called Mark Knopfler par example (you might have heard of him, he had some minor hits back in the day) uses mostly his fingers.

you could also try using thumbpicks or fingerpicks, maybe you would like that.

you might also find that after trying a pick for a while, you might actually prefer using them instead of your thumb (i used only my thumb as well when i first started out, until the music teacher at school insisted that i used a pick and i prefer them over fingerpicking now)

if it works for you, then you should continue playing this way, it all comes down to preference.
Using your thumb isn't bad technique, but like anything it has advantages and disadvantages. In my experience a thumb has a more mellow/softened attack than a pick. I really recommend learning to play with a pick as well, just so that you're as versatile a player as possible.
Do what feels natural.

If it doesn't cause you fatigue or pain, then it's not bad technique.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If you continued with one you'll get used to it and you'd be better for it.

That being said, Jeff Beck hasn't used one for a long time and he's awesome.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Mephaphil
If you continued with one you'll get used to it and you'd be better for it.

That being said, Jeff Beck hasn't used one for a long time and he's awesome.

This. Do what you want w/the guitar. It gets so annoying to hear people say you have to do things a certain way. Just play it the way you want. As long as your mechanics don't stop you from doing what you want, you can play guitar however you choose.
Gibson LP Studio
Taylor 518E
Washburn WD15SCE acoustic electric
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
Quote by ccannon1
In my experience a thumb has a more mellow/softened attack than a pick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgQEGKf2yh4
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
As long as you're not finding yourself restricted in your playing i wouldn't use a pick for now. When it gets to a stage in your playing where you find yourself struggling to do something that a pick might make significantly either (eg. playing thrash metal etc) then you may want to learn how to use a pick.
I've just picked up my battered old Tama flat top again, after a lull of fifteen years, so I'm ill qualified to advise anybody.

Back when I played tho', I fingerpicked and constantly battled broken fingernails.

So I'm quite hopeful about the "Alaskapicks" i have coming in mail order. They sort of 'frame' the fingertip, and leave the finger pad free to contact the string. They are reputed to be quite 'whittle-able' into any desired shape.

Dawg, one of these, on your thumb, might perhaps give you more accuracy and tonal clarity.

I'll post with my impressions on these new doo-dads.

Anybuddy already ahead o' me on these?
I found that all I needed was about 1 to 2mm of nail to get a nice tone and ramping them adds more pads and less wear on the nails. I have been messing around with fingerstyle on the electric for almost a year and currently have these techniques that I use:

mild strumming I use Thumb and Index finger alternating, and for more aggressive picking I use the Index finger similar to Lindsay Buckingham and Mark Knopfler(not held with thumb like a pick unless I need a palm mute sound). for Leads I use index and middle using alot of legato with hammer ons and pull offs but TRYING my best to do the Picato thing for faster leads but my fingers tend to be inconsistent.

amp settings that I find doable with fingers is obviously clean does well, but I can get away with some moderate crunch but it gets nasty and muddy when the gain is pushed more than half...for dirt sounds and finger style classic rock tones work the best.

Trainbud the Alaska picks still require some nail to stay on your fingers and they pull up on the nail bed which turned my nails an abused color of blue during a gig lol...just a warnin for ya!
If you're just using your thumb it's definitely going to hold you back. The guys who don't use picks don't just use the thumb they use fingers too. It's fine if what you want to play can be played with your thumb only, but at some point you'll need to either use a pick or use your other fingers once you progress and want to play more technical stuff.
I have your same problem TS, I prefer to play with my fingers even when I play my electric guitar, I think it's a bad habit I developed in my 5 years of playing acoustic guitar. I know how to play with a pick thou, but it'll never feel as natural as when I'm playing with my fingers, especially when I have to pick notes/do arpeggios.
The real question is how you want to sound and not what you like .So just think about what you wanna play and the sound you want to achieve and the answer ll present itself.My advice is to get good at your picking cause it solves 90% of your electric guitar problems.You can always develop a hybrid style later(pick and fingers) but picking is essential if you dont want to reinvent the wheel...and that comes from a guy that started with classical guitar(all fingers) and then progressed to electric when the pick felt like an alien object.But it only took practice cause the sound i wanted to achieve would be impossible with fingers only.So get serious about your picking.It would be time well spent even if you choose to deviate from that in the future .
There's really no real technique, no matter what anybody says. Just do what feels good for you, for all I care you could play with your toes, if it works for you.
Quote by Kusakki
There's really no real technique, no matter what anybody says. Just do what feels good for you, for all I care you could play with your toes, if it works for you.

You are wrong. I've been through this many times:

Everyone's bodies are much the same and there are many similarities between the best players in the world.

For some reason that I really can't fathom, modern guitar is the only instrument that seems to have this entirely inaccurate mindset.

Before you say anything: yes, it is possible to play in myriad ways but that doesn't mean they're efficient, versatile or effective. Just because it is possible to do something in one way doesn't mean it's the best way.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Kusakki

Usually when you wanna learn something....no actual good solid advice "feels good".It actually feels kinda shitty,hard and annoying.Its mainly because it addresses the problem you try to avoid and take the "easy" "feels good" road.The "easy" road "feels good" at the start but as you walk on it it gets narrower and narrower....the hard road though feels pretty touch at first but as you go its smooth sailing......

Bottom line there is real technique in anything not just guitar, you just have to decide what kind of a player you wanna be .
Quote by gnardawg59
Whether its me playing an acoustic or an electric.. I cant stand using picks.. not to mention I'm not that good with picks, I mean I can use them.. but using my thumb as a pick feels waaaaaaay more natural and i find it easier and more fun. I've been playing for about a year now and I still use my thumb as a pick. I find it way more natural for me. Is this a bad technique? or should I just continue the way I like to play??

No, it's not bad at all, quite the contrary. You should definitely use the fingers, if that's what you naturally incline at. But don't make the mistake of thinking there's no work involved.... developing an effective and clean technique using fingers isn't any easier

But it's a great technique. Great players like Andrea Braido or Mark Knopfler use fingers and they really sound great.
When I play without a pick, I have my fingers positioned the exact same way as if I am holding one.

This allows the nail of the index finger to hit the strings for downward strums and the thumbnail or the tip of the index finger to contact the strings for upward strums.

For picking individual strings, I shift the thumb up the index finger to allow the index finger to protrude a bit.

For pinch harmonics, I shift the index finger up the thumb to allow the thumb to protrude toward the neck and graze the string while the index fingernail does the picking.................I only use it in downward strokes.

Just remove the pick from this picture for what I do but I sometimes will get my fingers in more of a "doobie holding position" rather than them meeting at 90 degrees to each other.

It does such when I catch the thumbnail on downstrokes or the index fingernail for upstrokes.

Fingerpicking is a totally different story.

Not my pic....just linked from a google search.

Last edited by HowlerMonkey at May 25, 2013,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You are wrong. I've been through this many times:

Everyone's bodies are much the same and there are many similarities between the best players in the world.

For some reason that I really can't fathom, modern guitar is the only instrument that seems to have this entirely inaccurate mindset.

Before you say anything: yes, it is possible to play in myriad ways but that doesn't mean they're efficient, versatile or effective. Just because it is possible to do something in one way doesn't mean it's the best way.

nothing like sharing facts based on one's opinions.

Its music. Play your instrument and make some. Enjoy. If you need to improve your ability to express yourself try a pick or various other options.

Look at the big picture. Everyone's bodies are different, as are their tastes. Improve on what your doing. When you feel platues or blocks add new techniques, theory, try some different physical things etc...

Or believe that someone on the internet should dictate to you because they use convincing or strong language passed as fact.

Either way just keep playing

I started pickless and still play some acoustic that way but everything plugged in is with pick these days. Just the progression of my preference. Good to know Im now in the right
he of tranquil mind
Quote by fishmike

Its music. Play your instrument and make some. Enjoy. If you need to improve your ability to express yourself try a pick or various other options.

Look at the big picture. Everyone's bodies are different, as are their tastes. Improve on what your doing. When you feel platues or blocks add new techniques, theory, try some different physical things etc...

Or believe that someone on the internet should dictate to you because they use convincing or strong language passed as fact.

I started pickless and still play some acoustic that way but everything plugged in is with pick these days. Just the progression of my preference. Good to know Im now in the right

If what you say was true there wouldnt be any need for schools or education of any kind in any field.Everyone would learn(or they would at least try) what they liked,the way they liked it and that would be all.In reality though its not how the world works and music is no exception.
Quote by fishmike

The music is entirely down to taste, I'm never going to argue anything otherwise but that doesn't actually impact technique very much.

Two questions:

1 - In what ways are people's bodies so vastly different that it causes the biomechanics of doing something efficiently to change?

2 - If people are all so wildly different why do all the classical instruments have clearly set techniques? Everyone plays violin the same way, everyone plays classical guitar the same way and so on. Why does this not apply to guitar?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The music is entirely down to taste, I'm never going to argue anything otherwise but that doesn't actually impact technique very much.

Two questions:

1 - In what ways are people's bodies so vastly different that it causes the biomechanics of doing something efficiently to change?

2 - If people are all so wildly different why do all the classical instruments have clearly set techniques? Everyone plays violin the same way, everyone plays classical guitar the same way and so on. Why does this not apply to guitar?

who says it doesnt apply to guitar? Is Hendrix wrong stringing his upside down? Is Alberk King wrong for playing it upside down? They are all PLAYING the instrument the same way... that is plucking the string to make noise right? But yet their approach is different than a traditional no, Im sorry... the RIGHT approach

1) I guess all people are biomechanically the same right? Im sure you could learn to throw a baseball as hard as I can if you had the proper instruction right? No, you couldnt. Some folks are different.... no?
he of tranquil mind
Quote by Dreamdancer11
If what you say was true there wouldnt be any need for schools or education of any kind in any field.Everyone would learn(or they would at least try) what they liked,the way they liked it and that would be all.In reality though its not how the world works and music is no exception.

just out of curiousity what did I say that wasnt true?
he of tranquil mind
Quote by fishmike

anybody who's got tendinitis from poor technique will disagree with you.

if you're learning to play trombone, you don't just start blowing on it. you'll mess up your lips, your posture might be compromised. if you're learning to play contrabass, you can cause serious damage from tension if you don't learn proper technique. just because the (electric) guitar world is more forgiving due to its youth and its treatment as an instrument for people who aren't serious about music doesn't mean that you shouldn't still consider and try and master the proper techniques.

there's a difference between artistic license and laziness. zappa got away with dropping things on piano strings to make music, but that's by no stretch of the imagination all he could do.
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
anybody who's got tendinitis from poor technique will disagree with you.

if you're learning to play trombone, you don't just start blowing on it. you'll mess up your lips, your posture might be compromised. if you're learning to play contrabass, you can cause serious damage from tension if you don't learn proper technique. just because the (electric) guitar world is more forgiving due to its youth and its treatment as an instrument for people who aren't serious about music doesn't mean that you shouldn't still consider and try and master the proper techniques.

there's a difference between artistic license and laziness. zappa got away with dropping things on piano strings to make music, but that's by no stretch of the imagination all he could do.

is not using a pick poor technique? I thought that was the original question... Nothing you have said is wrong, and while there are clearly some wrong ways to play (like if its causing tendinitis) the right way to play is certainly up for debate isnt it? Do all great guitarists play the same way? I got nothing else
he of tranquil mind
Quote by fishmike
just out of curiousity what did I say that wasnt true?

Lets start with...everything .You cant just play and expect good technique to..happen to you.If you find something difficult to do starting out its not that your "special body" rejects it and wants something else, its that you simply need enough practise to do it right(and you are are too damn lazy to do it).

Have you seen anyone just play a sport for example and acquiring great technique just by doing it? No specific drills not anything? i highly doubt it.How about academics point a kid to a library and let him learn however he wants without teachers or structures or anything and see how it ll pan out.

Guitar playing is no different.Playing your instrument is just a small part of your training....you wont get far by doing just that and the worst part is giving advice to others that its all that it takes.Play guitar have fun and all ll fall into place.Sorry thats now how guitar playing or even life goes .
Quote by Dreamdancer11
Lets start with...everything .You cant just play and expect good technique to..happen to you.If you find something difficult to do starting out its not that your "special body" rejects it and wants something else, its that you simply need enough practise to do it right(and you are are too damn lazy to do it).

Have you seen anyone just play a sport for example and acquiring great technique just by doing it? No specific drills not anything? i highly doubt it.How about academics point a kid to a library and let him learn however he wants without teachers or structures or anything and see how it ll pan out.

Guitar playing is no different.Playing your instrument is just a small part of your training....you wont get far by doing just that and the worst part is giving advice to others that its all that it takes.Play guitar have fun and all ll fall into place.Sorry thats now how guitar playing or even life goes .

wow... we have different experiences.

Yes.. I never received any official or proper coaching to pitch a baseball, but I just did it, did research and was a damn good amateur pitcher for a good ten years.

Yes.. I never received guitar lessons, but after 5 years I can play the instrument and my technique and skills are solid for someone a few years into considering the limited practice time I can afford.

Yes... I never went to school for information technology (just read books mostly) but I work for a bank and am paid a 6 six figure salary despite no college or "official training".

So keep rolling your eyes at me mate... while your waiting for proper instruction, structure and are worried about doing it right others are just doing it.

Also I'm still waiting for someone to explain why not using a pick = bad technique. How did you get that from what I said? When it comes to using a pick or not my advice and suggestion was to just keep playing and progressing and yes.. it will fall into place. That was the topic right? Should we go through the exercise of naming guitar great that dont use a pick? All have bad technique?

I write using a pick or not isn't that important at this point, just practice and play and have fun and it will fall into place.... You read I don't care about technique. Wow... OK. Keep rolling those eyes.
he of tranquil mind
HMMM...There are sooo many , Which type of picking technique will i use today?..
Quote by fishmike
Also I'm still waiting for someone to explain why not using a pick = bad technique.

Playing without a pick isn't bad technique at all. I don't think anybody is suggesting that. If somebady wants to play exclusively with their fingers, I have no issue with that whatsoever. I might prefer that the threadstarter spend some more time practicing with a pick before coming to that decision, because there are many advantages to developing good picking technique qith a pick. If he makes this decision prematurely, he might find later that he's interested in playing some things which are much more manageable with a pick than without. In principle however, I have no issue with another player deciding to pick exclusively with the thumb and fingers.

That said, the idea that somebody should just play the guitar the way they initially feel is comfortable and that everything will just "fall into place," is just false.

Sure, we're all a little different. People might have hands of slightly different sizes and shapes. Some may be naturally more flexible than others. That is true, but people are really mostly the same. We all have very similar anatomy and as a result, there are biomechanical principles that apply to us all that allow us to each find our optimal technique.

With guitar playing, as with any instrument, it is best to apply these principles to our own bodies and develop our technique from there. Sure, it's normal (necessary even) that since we are all a little different, our optimal techniques won't be exactly the same. They will however be more similar than they will be different.

What do I mean by optimal technique? Well, be it bending, picking, fingerpicking, legato or anything else, there will be a way of doing so that allows us to play the guitar cleanly and most efficiently, with control and with the lowest risk of injury. Playing with a sub-optimal technique may limit our progression as guitar players, as we aren't playing as efficiently as we possibly could, but more significantly it could lead to repetitive strain injuries which may make it impossible to continue to play the guitar.

No matter what anybody says, no matter what famous player managed to become very proficient at guitar with another approach that lead to sub-optimal technique, there is a best approach to guitar playing that allows each individual player to find their optimal technique.

Further, it's absolutely crucial that the senior members of this forum respond to posts which tell people to "do what feels comfortable" and that "everything will fall into place" in the manner we do. We do so because the primary aim of this forum should be to give advice that allows people to become the best guitar player they can be and keepd them as safe as possible from injury.

Further to the point, I have had tendonitis twice. Last year and very recently. Not from guitar playing, but from typing. I have bad typing technique. I never took formal lessons or paid attention to correct principles when learning to type. I typed what I've typed above while trying to adhere as closely as possible to the correct principles and posture. I'm trying to unlearn my old typing technique and learn to type correctly. Tendonitis is unpleasant. It's unpleasant enough to make me want to correct my typing technique.

Playing guitar with poor technique can cause tendonitis too (and indeed other RSIs). My hope if somebody with poor guitar technique (or indeed typing technique) reads this post, they might decide to correct their technique now, before they injure themselves, rather than making the decision after they injure themselves.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by fishmike
wow... we have different experiences.

Yes.. I never received any official or proper coaching to pitch a baseball, but I just did it, did research and was a damn good amateur pitcher for a good ten years.

Yes.. I never received guitar lessons, but after 5 years I can play the instrument and my technique and skills are solid for someone a few years into considering the limited practice time I can afford.

Yes... I never went to school for information technology (just read books mostly) but I work for a bank and am paid a 6 six figure salary despite no college or "official training".

So keep rolling your eyes at me mate... while your waiting for proper instruction, structure and are worried about doing it right others are just doing it.

Also I'm still waiting for someone to explain why not using a pick = bad technique. How did you get that from what I said? When it comes to using a pick or not my advice and suggestion was to just keep playing and progressing and yes.. it will fall into place. That was the topic right? Should we go through the exercise of naming guitar great that dont use a pick? All have bad technique?

I write using a pick or not isn't that important at this point, just practice and play and have fun and it will fall into place.... You read I don't care about technique. Wow... OK. Keep rolling those eyes.

Dude following your logic i can claim to be a basketball player,keyboard,bouzouki,drumer,graphic designer etc etc etc cause i have actually tried all those things(some more some less) and say hippy vague stuff like "Just do and all ll fall into place".Iam not,cause i actually have some sense .

The threadstarter said ,if you actually read it, that he cant stand picks but mainly cause he isnt very good at it.Using your logic you would say: "dont worry mate play with just your fingers" if he said he cant use pick or fingers your logic again:"just play mate you can still your your teeth and tongue...palm mute with your feet if you like ".

Someone who would be a serious person though...would actually provide info on how he would get good at picking(and actually solve the problem not ignore it)how to get good at fingerpicking(if needed) and THEN let the man decide how to use them not "do whatever everything ll fall into place".

By the way i started with classical guitar and i have the fingerpicking technique down pretty solidly.....yet the second i started with electric i realised that a pick was needed if i was gonna sound like an electric guitar player and not like a classical guitarist who happened to got his hands on an electric.The opposite is also true...try play classical guitar with a pick and lets see how far you gonna go .....
Quote by gnardawg59

Well ,you have loads of replies, and i didn't wanna read them to see if you got an answer But I dont really like using my pick either, at least not for strumming and most kinds of fingerpicking, but there are some things that require using a pick, at least if you want it to sound right.. You can do ANYTHING that others can do with a pick, without a pick, maybe except that style where you use pick and fingers at the same time.

But man, you dont need to learn how to use a pick if you dont feel like u need it, but i did feel like i needed it because some of the things i was playing didnt sound right to me.. (like playing house of the rising sun with the right pattern... you cant do that without a pick )

I have been playing for 2½ years now, and i become sort of comfortable using a pick, but i still prefer my flesh And you can go really really far using just your flesh, that is , if you like the sound it gives off.. Some ppl prefer the fleshy sound which isn't as clear when the string rings out, and others prefer the clearer sound that the pick produces.

I WOULD NEVER STRUM WITH A PICK. To me, it sounds so "fake".. donno how to describe it

If you hate using a pick, then by all means, dont do it. Playing should always be fun before all other things! But if you dont "hate" it, then maybe you should try an get comfortable with it, as it opens alot of opportunities you didnt have, when it comes to choosing a sound you want.. Anyway.. Thats it from me
Pick = good for fast playing songs. Say you want to play speed metal, unless you got fingers of steel, then your SOL.

Albert Collins capoed all over the place and Albert played his guitar upside-down and with no pick. So yea go with whatever works and you'll be unique.
Quote by Dreamdancer11
Dude following your logic i can claim to be a basketball player,keyboard,bouzouki,drumer,graphic designer etc etc etc cause i have actually tried all those things(some more some less) and say hippy vague stuff like "Just do and all ll fall into place".Iam not,cause i actually have some sense .

The threadstarter said ,if you actually read it, that he cant stand picks but mainly cause he isnt very good at it.Using your logic you would say: "dont worry mate play with just your fingers" if he said he cant use pick or fingers your logic again:"just play mate you can still your your teeth and tongue...palm mute with your feet if you like ".

Someone who would be a serious person though...would actually provide info on how he would get good at picking(and actually solve the problem not ignore it)how to get good at fingerpicking(if needed) and THEN let the man decide how to use them not "do whatever everything ll fall into place".

By the way i started with classical guitar and i have the fingerpicking technique down pretty solidly.....yet the second i started with electric i realised that a pick was needed if i was gonna sound like an electric guitar player and not like a classical guitarist who happened to got his hands on an electric.The opposite is also true...try play classical guitar with a pick and lets see how far you gonna go .....

so we have established that you cant stay on topic and are really good as misquoting, so let me refresh you with my original:
"Its music. Play your instrument and make some (noise). Enjoy. If you need to improve your ability to express yourself try a pick or various other options.
Look at the big picture. Everyone's bodies are different, as are their tastes. Improve on what your doing. When you feel platues or blocks add new techniques, theory, try some different physical things etc..."

Right... Im sorry where were we? Speaking of improving techniques maybe you should google "improving reading comprehension" might help you in the future with any other hippy type endevours you fail at.
he of tranquil mind
Quote by Prophet of Page
That said, the idea that somebody should just play the guitar the way they initially feel is comfortable and that everything will just "fall into place," is just false.

Tom... totally agree. Only person here who mentioned such was the dreamydancer. My point was play what you enjoy. If the guy doesnt enjoy using a pick, even if it most likely ******ing his progress then he should NOT use a pick. As I mentioned its music.. play what you like how you like.

As I also mentioned in the same sentence I believe is when you hit platues or blocks then you know its time to expand and look at different techniques, etc

So despite a total failure by some to read what was actually posted, I believe most of the responses here (including yours) echo what I said. The no pick doesnt not equal bad technique... might have some limitations (totally agree) but isnt regarded as poor technique.

Maybe I am the anomaly, but most of my good technique comes from watching experienced players play. Thats who showed and taught me... everyone from Justin guitar to Clapton and the kid who sounds really good at guitar center. Look. Learn. Expand. Evaluate... but most of all enjoy.
he of tranquil mind
Get proficient with both. Depending on the material you're playing, one way might be more advantageous than the other.
Quote by ruker
Get proficient with both. Depending on the material you're playing, one way might be more advantageous than the other.

guys like tosin abasi seem to be bringing hybrid picking back into the limelight, as well, which utilizes both techniques in tandem.
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by fishmike
Tom... totally agree. Only person here who mentioned such was the dreamydancer. My point was play what you enjoy. If the guy doesnt enjoy using a pick, even if it most likely ******ing his progress then he should NOT use a pick. As I mentioned its music.. play what you like how you like.

As I also mentioned in the same sentence I believe is when you hit platues or blocks then you know its time to expand and look at different techniques, etc

So despite a total failure by some to read what was actually posted, I believe most of the responses here (including yours) echo what I said. The no pick doesnt not equal bad technique... might have some limitations (totally agree) but isnt regarded as poor technique.

Maybe I am the anomaly, but most of my good technique comes from watching experienced players play. Thats who showed and taught me... everyone from Justin guitar to Clapton and the kid who sounds really good at guitar center. Look. Learn. Expand. Evaluate... but most of all enjoy.

Your advice isnt even good for a bumpersticker mate...

If the guy doesnt enjoys a pick its because he wasnt taught right in the first place( or more accurately not at all) so instead of actually learn it right you advice to ignore the problem wing it again with fingers, hit a brick wall again....and so on....like i said....not even good advice for a bumpersticker.Winging it isnt a teaching method .....

If you hit a brick wall when learning, you dont really know why(cause you are not the teacher you are the student ) so not only you have no idea if your technique was bad in the first place but what to do to fix it....with that mindset whatever technque you try you ll have the same problems.

Of course the main issue here is that in your case we have to define what "playing guitar" means....cause a cousin of mine for example strums a few chords,sings a couple of songs but if you ask him he ll say...i can definately play the guitar..its not that big of a deal .he ll also say..use whatever man...strum with your pick,fingernails tonque its all good(like the great philoshoper ana faris would say) .

Now leave the weekend warrior level and try that with a guy who plays classical guitar for example....say to him "you can use whatever man if you are not comfortable with fingers use a pick...just have fun its all that matters".The guy ll look at you and say..."are you high?" "try using a pick on a classical guitar and see how far you can go"..

You ll get the same answer from any serious performer violinist,pianist whatever.....there is no "my body is different thats why i cant adjust to this technique" bullshit and lazy copouts.....they sit their asses down and learn what they need to learn...

So the next time you see a little hello kitty type 12 year old girl with a ponytail making a classical guitar(or a violin or whatever) her bitch is cause she sat down and learn it properly from the get go.if she did it your way she would still play twinkle twinkle little star with finger and....nose .
Last edited by Dreamdancer11 at Jun 20, 2013,
Page 1 of 2