Hello guys sup?
I've lost my creativity couple days ago...actually I forgot how to get inspried I dunno Its hard to tell..I really get bored of my tone and my guitar..
I was good at making my own stuff.But know I forgot how to make something new..
Everything feels s..2hityyyy..
My picking is not feeling the same..

I really forgot to how to get inspried... What can I do?
thanks
Last edited by gtgates at May 19, 2013,
Practice more. Try transcription for a bit. It really helps you develop perfect pitch and after that you can really express yourself in ways you didn't think were possible to begin with.
Quote by Erc
Practice more. Try transcription for a bit. It really helps you develop perfect pitch and after that you can really express yourself in ways you didn't think were possible to begin with.

Perfect pitch? You can't develop that by transcribing.
Try listening to unusual bands, even if they don't seem relevant to what you want to write. When I'm stuck, I try and listen out of little things that I like and that are a bit different to make my stuff more interesting. Especially when it comes to tones, I got into Electric Wizard a while ago and was taken aback by the their sound because I hadn't heard anything that dark and fuzzy before. What sort of style are you writing in?
Misha Mansoor:
Uplifting quote disguising failure as something to be proud of.
Last edited by Minimallamb at May 19, 2013,
Quote by macashmack

I swear to God you can. I did. Also playing copy cat (suzuki method) helps develop perfect pitch.

EDIT --> Or you could just buy 'The Fundamentals of Musical Composition' by Arnold Schoenberg. I tend to recommend that book in like every other one of my posts but I swear by the book and its method of teaching. So good luck!
Last edited by Erc at May 19, 2013,
You've lost your inspiration? No you haven't.

You say your picking has changed? Use that to inspire you.

Use what's around you to inspire you. It's still there. Don't try so hard. Let it come to you - don't seek it. It's your muse.
The same thing happened me man, it really sucks feeling that way, bt the solution is simple, listen to different types of music and learn it
Maybe you're depressed lol.

And as much as it might not be the answer you're looking for, maybe take a break for a week. You have no idea what a fresh mind does for inspiration. When you pick up your instrument again, it'll be dope.
Listen to new music. Not to advertise, but I find songza is suuuper useful for finding new music.
Inspiration is shit. Putting music together is a practiced skill. The only way to get good at it is to work on it even when you don't really feel like it. If you just sit and wait for awesome ideas to pop into your head, you'll find yourself lacking technique, aural skills, and the attention span required to flesh out an idea.

Don't feel inspired? Work on uninspiring, boring shit. It'll force you to think of something interesting.

Quote by macashmack

Like most things, attaining good or perfect pitch is much easier if you don't assume it's impossible. If you can find a note with your voice, you can get the pitch with great accuracy. If you're active with ear training you should be able to get the key and most of the chord changes of a song on a single listen.
Last edited by cdgraves at May 20, 2013,
"loosing inspiration or creativity " is the natural consequence of obscurity . For the musician it provides the essential opportunity for aspiring greater relativity with all you have remained ignorant of.
Last edited by TheJasbo at May 20, 2013,
Besides lacking devotion for developing the practical skills of being a dynamic musician ,a contributing factor to your decadence could be if your playing electric guitar. An acoustic signal generates greater dynamics in the sound spectrum than is possible for any electric signal and therefore you could merely be experiencing the psychological effects of a virtual sound filter , in essence depriving your innate being from experiencing the adequate stimulation . This "sound deprivation" could possibly be the reason why electric guitar players are constantly seeking out new effects pedals an such, but depending on ones character , fame or band collaboration can also provide an adequate substitute for pacifying this lack of tonal dynamics .
Last edited by TheJasbo at May 20, 2013,
thanks for the tips and help guys.

actually I just noticed. I'm bored listening music in Ipod..I didn't update my Ipod lately. I'm bored to listening same old. sjghttt
I don't know what to listen guys... What can you suggest?

I love Dream Theater and Avenged Sevenfold. so I write stuffs like Syn Gates and
J.Petrucci but in my way..I always to try to come up something little different than them
I use my ears a lot. I can transcribe easily..
I don't really like doing covers..Because too much covers turns my style like them not unique way... to be honest I don't want to be a YouTube guitarist lol but I'm going to try Erc's transcribing method. Change is good..

I just changed my tuning to D standard so maybe i can play little different .but I didn't worked out well . lol
Not this guy again...

You have already had two threads about the same thing.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1556375
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1585625

If you don't get inspired, have a break. You don't need to force yourself to play the guitar if you aren't inspired. Sometimes having a break does good to your playing. You won't lose any guitar skills during the break. Playing the guitar should be about having fun. If you don't like it, don't play.

But seems like guitar is causing you more negative than positive feelings. Maybe you should just stop worrying about it and stop playing the guitar. If you want, maybe start again after a few weeks, months, years or whenever you feel inspired again.

Also playing cover songs doesn't make you a generic Youtube guitarist (unless you post your crappy version of "Stairway to Heaven" and "Smoke on the Water" to Youtube). I play songs I like, no matter whether they are my compositions or cover songs. Refusing to play covers just because every guitarist plays covers is not a good way to stand out. Nobody will see if you play covers (unless you post them to Youtube). Remember that you are the sum of your influences. You are just limiting yourself when you refuse to play covers.

Play music that you like.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at May 20, 2013,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Not this guy again...

You have already had two threads about the same thing.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1556375
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1585625

If you don't get inspired, have a break. You don't need to force yourself to play the guitar if you aren't inspired. Sometimes having a break does good to your playing. You won't lose any guitar skills during the break. Playing the guitar should be about having fun. If you don't like it, don't play.

But seems like guitar is causing you more negative than positive feelings. Maybe you should just stop worrying about it and stop playing the guitar. If you want, maybe start again after a few weeks, months, years or whenever you feel inspired again.

Also playing cover songs doesn't make you a generic Youtube guitarist (unless you post your crappy version of "Stairway to Heaven" and "Smoke on the Water" to Youtube). I play songs I like, no matter whether they are my compositions or cover songs. Refusing to play covers just because every guitarist plays covers is not a good way to stand out. Nobody will see if you play covers (unless you post them to Youtube). Remember that you are the sum of your influences. You are just limiting yourself when you refuse to play covers.

Play music that you like.

lol i have but noone sees my other posts in other threads.. Im not talking agout rut this time...
and thanks fot the tips..
i love playing it with all my heart.. thats why im afraid of taking break
Last edited by gtgates at May 20, 2013,
Just sit down and play your damn guitar. Feeling like you have to wait for a reason is the problem in itself.
Quote by macashmack

I don't know. I used to think this was absolutely true, but the longer I've been playing, the more I find myself being able to predict what a note I hear in my head actually is. And I'm sure this has already happened to all of you advanced players. I guess that could be considered some form of perfect pitch (since you are technically predict what the note is without any reference)?

TS: for inspiration just listen to more music. Venture outside your comfort zone and listen to genres you've never heard before. Zoom in on aspects you like. Try to figure those "novel" sounds by ear. I find this helps me get inspired.
Last edited by CryogenicHusk at May 20, 2013,
Quote by gtgates
Hello guys sup?
I've lost my creativity couple days ago...actually I forgot how to get inspried I dunno Its hard to tell..I really get bored of my tone and my guitar..
I was good at making my own stuff.But know I forgot how to make something new..
Everything feels s..2hityyyy..
My picking is not feeling the same..

I really forgot to how to get inspried... What can I do?
thanks

These things sometimes help me:

play a different instrument that I haven't played before and make sure I record everything I do

suspend all judgemental tendencies and run with whatever crazy idea (critical is ok, but not judgemental, not sure what the actual defined meaning is but for some reason this makes sense to me)

think about someone I know and try and write something from their perspective

think about an element of music I've been waiting to experiment with - a beat, a chordal approach, a tonal thing, whatever
Luke Mosse Guitar Teacher in Bristol, UK
Try other art forms to see if they inspire you. You can find inspiration in some unlikely places if you look hard enough. Or maybe just have a break?

Also setting some goals can help with inspiration, for example setting a goal to perform a new song to your friends or at an open mic night etc.
To all the people who commented on my perfect pitch thing:

I don't know you guys, I feel like you might be thinking of pitch recall. Evidence has pointed that absolute pitch is either a genetic trait or only learnable in the very first years of human development. I don't mean to doubt you guys nor do I want to think that it isn't possible to learn (or would acquire be a better word?) but it doesn't seem possible to me. Also, strong relative pitch seems just as good for musical endeavors, albeit not as cool.
What is the Suzuki method?

Its a method, mostly for stringed instruments but they do do piano (i did it for violin), where the student basically learns everything by ear from the teacher. (the teacher plays a line and then the student plays the line back for the first couple of books.) It is usually taught to small children. Also I'm synesthetic, but I didn't really develop that until after I developed perfect pitch (and I did both relatively late in my life; but I'm only 22). Must admit though, my relative pitch kind of sucks >_< (I'm still developing it.)

EDIT --> Don't get me wrong, my harmonic listening is still good (I don't have a problem identifying keys or chord qualities) but my relative pitch just sort of...sucks compared to the rest. (I hear 4ths and 2nd inversion chord intervals well, but....i don't really confuse it, I just don't really use it in most other instances.)
Last edited by Erc at May 20, 2013,
do you want to play? if you do, do. if you don't, don't. quitting for a while or longer is not as bad as it seems.
Quote by TheJasbo
"loosing inspiration or creativity " is the natural consequence of obscurity . For the musician it provides the essential opportunity for aspiring greater relativity with all you have remained ignorant of.

Quote by TheJasbo
Besides lacking devotion for developing the practical skills of being a dynamic musician ,a contributing factor to your decadence could be if your playing electric guitar. An acoustic signal generates greater dynamics in the sound spectrum than is possible for any electric signal and therefore you could merely be experiencing the psychological effects of a virtual sound filter , in essence depriving your innate being from experiencing the adequate stimulation . This "sound deprivation" could possibly be the reason why electric guitar players are constantly seeking out new effects pedals an such, but depending on ones character , fame or band collaboration can also provide an adequate substitute for pacifying this lack of tonal dynamics .

LOL oh my god dude holy shit

you actually wrote that stuff
Quote by Erc
Its a method, mostly for stringed instruments but they do do piano (i did it for violin), where the student basically learns everything by ear from the teacher. (the teacher plays a line and then the student plays the line back for the first couple of books.) It is usually taught to small children. Also I'm synesthetic, but I didn't really develop that until after I developed perfect pitch (and I did both relatively late in my life; but I'm only 22). Must admit though, my relative pitch kind of sucks >_< (I'm still developing it.)

EDIT --> Don't get me wrong, my harmonic listening is still good (I don't have a problem identifying keys or chord qualities) but my relative pitch just sort of...sucks compared to the rest. (I hear 4ths and 2nd inversion chord intervals well, but....i don't really confuse it, I just don't really use it in most other instances.)

You're saying the Suzuki method can help the development of perfect pitch? Im gonna get me a teacher
DRUGS! DRUGS! DRUGS!

And a shitty band.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by macashmack
You're saying the Suzuki method can help the development of perfect pitch? Im gonna get me a teacher

Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by macashmack
To all the people who commented on my perfect pitch thing:

I don't know you guys, I feel like you might be thinking of pitch recall. Evidence has pointed that absolute pitch is either a genetic trait or only learnable in the very first years of human development. I don't mean to doubt you guys nor do I want to think that it isn't possible to learn (or would acquire be a better word?) but it doesn't seem possible to me. Also, strong relative pitch seems just as good for musical endeavors, albeit not as cool.

Yeah in my case it's probably pitch recall. I guess I got confused because perfect pitch is supposed to be the ability to know "the sound" of a pitch without any reference. Now that I've thought about it, having the sound in your head is kind of a reference? But then how does perfect pitch work?

I have no idea, man. I just think relative pitch is, arguably, what we all end up using the most, so it is what I'm basing most of my ear training on anyway.
Quote by Hail

Weeeeowwww
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
lol guys thanks again...

I have some questions for you... Im using a "shitty" Behringer Gtx30
I have 3 guitars My first guitar Cort x-6,Fender Strat Mexican and Schecter Syn Gates Standart model...But 2 of them are broken...Cort X6 literally broken...Syn Standart has some broken tremolo sadells[Im still waiting for my saddels].so Only Fender workes..
Lately Im getting really shitty tones..
Im not happy with my tone ...
I want more high gain tight solo tone and same time buttery fluid kind of solo sound ...

and my parents promised me about buying a Musicman JPX guitar but Im not sure...
Should I buy a new amp or a new guitar?? and Can you guys give some advices?

When I was on holiday I tried a Marshall amp but I dont remember its name...I tryed it with my own fender and it sounds like heaven to me...I wish I could remember its name...

thanks
Last edited by gtgates at May 30, 2013,
Quote by gtgates
lol guys thanks again...

I have some questions for you... Im using a "shitty" Behringer Gtx30
I have 3 guitars My first guitar Cort x-6,Fender Strat Mexican and Schecter Syn Gates Standart model...But 2 of them are broken...Cort X6 literally broken...Syn Standart has some broken tremolo sadells[Im still waiting for my saddels].so Only Fender workes..
Lately Im getting really shitty tones..
Im not happy with my tone ...
I want more distortion tight and same time buttery kind of sound ...

and my parents promised me about buying a Musicman JPX guitar but Im not sure...
Should I buy a new amp or a new guitar?? and Can you guys give some advices?

When I was on holiday I tried a Marshall amp but I dont remember its name...I tryed it with my own fender and it sounds like heaven to me...I wish I could remember its name...

thanks

Yes, you need a new amp.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Shitty amps can cause a shitty overtone series. it's best to get a quality tube amp (I have a gibson goldtone and it works like heaven. doesn't do too much distortion though)