Page 1 of 2

Krank Rev Jr Pro Mini Half Stack!
Price: $350
Yes, I have a very severe case of gear acquisition syndrome, and yes my wallet and my GF both want to kill me. I have been looking for a good practice amp at home for a while now, and this came across the local Craigslist for the right price, so I picked it up.

Last edited by ExDementia at May 20, 2013,
So - it's no good for practicing at home and it's no good for gigging/jamming? So what's the use of it exactly?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Not his style and doesn't work for practice at home. Bummer.

Hopefully new tubes would help with part of it.

HNAD
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by Cathbard
So - it's no good for practicing at home and it's no good for gigging/jamming? So what's the use of it exactly?

Recording?
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by Cathbard
Exactly.

I was not thinking about low volumes at the time that I tested out, and really didn't even consider what it would sound like at bedroom volumes -- and I really couldn't turn it up to jam levels in his neighborhood. Stupid, I know.

So I'm hoping that with new tubes it won't need so quite so much output to reach its full potential. I'm really not sure if this will fix that, but from what I've read on forums, plenty of people use this at bedroom volumes. It should fix the microphonics for sure, though, and hopefully the muddiness. I've seen a few threads with people saying it was plenty usable for jamming too, so maybe that will be a possibility -- even if it isn't really our sound.

As for recording, maybe running this stereo with my main rig would be good. Who knows. If I can't find a use for this thing, I'll just have to wash my hands of the whole thing and sell it. I think Kranks are targeted to a more modern chugga-chugga crowd than what we play.
What tubes are in it now? Kranks need JJ's. Takes some of the icepick off it.

Ideally, put RFT in the preamp. They're German. Watch ebay, They come up for decent prices at times. They're the "other" German valve that nobody knows about. Perfect for your Krank.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 20, 2013,
From what I can see, the tubes are Sovtek 6L6s in the power section and what appear to be no-name Chinese 12AX7s for the preamp section.

RFT 12AX7s are going for about $40 a pair which seems pretty reasonable. I think I'll grab some of those and JJs for the power tubes. I'm thinking I'll go with 6v6s for earlier break up -- from what I'm reading they suit lower wattage amps a little better in that way.

Thanks for the recommendation. I need to do some tube experimentation, it seems.
Last edited by ExDementia at May 20, 2013,
It's odd you are having problems getting a good sound at low volumes....

I never had an issue with solo jamming volume, it wasn't whisper quiet but I got a good sound at a reasonable level.

I think you may just need a good re-tubing, I also didn't think that it would be good for djent at all, too muc low end.

EDIT: JJ 6V6 really make this amp sing, that's a good idea. I loved mine with them, so much sustain without having to blow the walls down.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Last edited by dementiacaptain at May 20, 2013,
Quote by dementiacaptain
It's odd you are having problems getting a good sound at low volumes....

I never had an issue with solo jamming volume, it wasn't whisper quiet but I got a good sound at a reasonable level.

I think you may just need a good re-tubing, I also didn't think that it would be good for djent at all, too muc low end.

EDIT: JJ 6V6 really make this amp sing, that's a good idea. I loved mine with them, so much sustain without having to blow the walls down.
Not being able to do djent is fine with me, it just has very controllable low end for those types of chugs, which is kind of why its not really for me so much. I'm hoping that after a tube change this thing changes my mind.

Ok, so I'm definitely going for the JJ 6V6s, it's nice to have confirmation that it will do low volumes well. Have you tried it with drums or in a live scenario? Mine became totally useless after about 12:00 on the volume.
As the others mentioned, new tubes are needed. The stock preamp tubes are ice pick hell and some are microphonic too.

A JJ 12AX7 in V1 does wonders for the tone, and a TungSol reissue in V2 will help add definition to the muddier sound from the JJ in V1.

I'm not sure why you're having issues at jamming levels. I used to jam with the same amp, and it could hold its own against 50 watters easily.

HNAD!
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ExDementia
Not being able to do djent is fine with me, it just has very controllable low end for those types of chugs, which is kind of why its not really for me so much. I'm hoping that after a tube change this thing changes my mind.

Ok, so I'm definitely going for the JJ 6V6s, it's nice to have confirmation that it will do low volumes well. Have you tried it with drums or in a live scenario? Mine became totally useless after about 12:00 on the volume.

I never had a problem playing with my drummer, he was pretty aggressive, I was heard in the mix fine. The amp may not quite be as loud as higher rated amps, but it is pretty close, and it cuts through very well.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Why not? Seems exactly what he needs, small practice amp that has decent high gain sound on low volumes and not the chugchugalug kind.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
"own desperate gain knob "

A what?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
"own desperate gain knob "

A what?

Desperately pushing more gain than the amp is capable of? Thats the only way I could understand it.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
nice score shame it doesn't do exactly what you want, though

Quote by ExDementia
But if you Krank it up (I hate myself for that)

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ragingkitty
As the others mentioned, new tubes are needed. The stock preamp tubes are ice pick hell and some are microphonic too.

A JJ 12AX7 in V1 does wonders for the tone, and a TungSol reissue in V2 will help add definition to the muddier sound from the JJ in V1.

I'm not sure why you're having issues at jamming levels. I used to jam with the same amp, and it could hold its own against 50 watters easily.

HNAD!
Really? I would have thought that the last thing a Krank would want is a Tungsol. The RFT's would be the go though. They are the dark tube of the NOS world. All the balls of a JJ but with more clarity.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've not tried RFT.

JJs in the V1 position really darken and muddy up the tone really severely.... so the TungSols bring back some clarity. Also I felt that in the V2 position, the brightness of the TungSols are sufficiently muted that it doesn't get shrill.

I personally feel that in the Krank Rev, if you have a JJ12AX7 in V1, a TungSol somewhere down the line is very helpful to balance out the darker and muddier JJ.

I suppose an alternative is to plonk the TungSol in V3 to further reduce the brightness. I personally prefer a brighter clean tone, and then using pedals or the tone control to darken the sound when needed... so YMMV.

Although, that said, one thing really nice about Kranks is the parametric Sweep control. If it's too bright, dial the sweep back some more and it helps darken the amp as you twiddle the mid range.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
RFT's are great. You should grab some, Kiity.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have not played the rev Jr, but the 1980 Jr is really manageable, but the boost function is just like you described.
I don't use mine at home, but when I go to band practice so I don't have to lug my JCM2000 around. And the Jr series is ******ed light, 20lbs I think. I just ordered 2 Sovtek 12ax7lps to try in it. I have a few EH,JJ and Mullards lying around I'm going to try also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I have not played the rev Jr, but the 1980 Jr is really manageable, but the boost function is just like you described.
I don't use mine at home, but when I go to band practice so I don't have to lug my JCM2000 around. And the Jr series is ******ed light, 20lbs I think. I just ordered 2 Sovtek 12ax7lps to try in it. I have a few EH,JJ and Mullards lying around I'm going to try also.

Robb, you really should chance your user title to "Obsessed With 1980 Jr's" Just sayin
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Quote by Cathbard
RFT's are great. You should grab some, Kiity.

I'll go check... are they quite dark? I prefer brightness and defintion, Cath.

In my MkV now, I have

V1: NOS Telefunken ribbed plated 12AX7
V2: NOS JAC Philips 12AX7
V3: NOS Sylvania 12AX7
V4: reissue TungSol
V5: reissue TungSol
V6: reissue TungSol
PI: NOS GE 5751

I am thinking of replacing the TungSols... maybe a NOS Tungsram, or another NOS Telefunken.

I just did a search on RTF... and there's suggestions they're like Mullards... but cheaper... care to shed some light on this Cath?

yeah yeah, I'm plonking NOS in every position.

Quote by Maineguitarist
Robb, you really should chance your user title to "Obsessed With 1980 Jr's" Just sayin

Kranks, you either love them or hate them.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Maineguitarist

Hey they are really nice amps that are very cheap used

And I was not pushing the 1980Jr this time, just sharing my views and experiences
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ragingkitty
I'll go check... are they quite dark? I prefer brightness and defintion, Cath.

In my MkV now, I have

V1: NOS Telefunken ribbed plated 12AX7
V2: NOS JAC Philips 12AX7
V3: NOS Sylvania 12AX7
V4: reissue TungSol
V5: reissue TungSol
V6: reissue TungSol
PI: NOS GE 5751

I am thinking of replacing the TungSols... maybe a NOS Tungsram, or another NOS Telefunken.

I just did a search on RTF... and there's suggestions they're like Mullards... but cheaper... care to shed some light on this Cath?

yeah yeah, I'm plonking NOS in every position.

Kranks, you either love them or hate them.

Yeah, they are pretty dark. What you need are Telefunkens or Amperex but they cost a lot more. Maybe British Mullards? RFT sound nothing like Mullards. RFT are what you use in an overly bright amp.

You're in the US aren't you? Go for Phillips. They are effectively American Mullards. RCA are pretty good too. Both should cost you a lot less than european valves and they are damn near as good. I mean, nothing beats a Telefunken but you're looking at an order of magnitude more expensive.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah, they are pretty dark. What you need are Telefunkens or Amperex but they cost a lot more. Maybe British Mullards? RFT sound nothing like Mullards. RFT are what you use in an overly bright amp.

You're in the US aren't you? Go for Phillips. They are effectively American Mullards. RCA are pretty good too. Both should cost you a lot less than european valves and they are damn near as good. I mean, nothing beats a Telefunken but you're looking at an order of magnitude more expensive.

Nah I'm in Singapore... just 5 hours from ya.

I was looking at Mullards... had forgotten Amperex. What I wanted was something to add some warmth and more harmonics to the sound. Having a Telefunken in V1 is amazing for note definition and clarity... but it is a tad cold now.

Right now there's a mild sheen of sterility to my distorted sound... there's less harmonics than when I had the TungSols in it. So need some warmer and harmonically richer tubes to off-set the Telefunken.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Cold? Never thought of Telefunkens as cold really.
Seeing as you're there. Also watch out for BEL. They're a Mullard made in India back when Phillips had Mullard factories all over the world. I've got 30+ yo BEL's in my Abbey that have been used heaps and they still sound like a good Mullard.
Aussie tubes are really good too. They're all Phillips I think. You see them labelled as Phillips, Mullard and Miniwatt. If you see an Aussie tube, grab it. They rocked.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Great! Thanks for the recommendations!
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Japanese tubes are worth watching out for too. Some of those were great. I did a back to back test (just aurally) between an American Raytheon and a Japanese Raytheon and the Japanese ones kicked their arse. I had a few of each. The Jap ones were clearly superior.
Although, for the benefit of full disclosure, Raytheon tubes were favoured by Ham radio operators not because of sound but because of stability. How they compare in that regard I have no idea.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Sure... I'll have a look at those as well.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by MaaZeus
Why not? Seems exactly what he needs, small practice amp that has decent high gain sound on low volumes and not the chugchugalug kind.

I wouldn't give Blackstar any of my money that's why.

Anyway, looks like the TS may be keeping his Krank afterall.

HNKD
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I wouldn't give Blackstar any of my money that's why.

Anyway, looks like the TS may be keeping his Krank afterall.

HNKD

So you are basing this on opinion on the company, even if the product could be what he is looking for? What I am saying let the TS decide what he thinks of the company and its practices himself. Hell, if you have seen ExDementias previous NAD threads you should know he has nothing against solid state components...

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
So you are basing this on opinion on the company, even if the product could be what he is looking for? What I am saying let the TS decide what he thinks of the company and its practices himself. Hell, if you have seen ExDementias previous NAD threads you should know he has nothing against solid state components...

This
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard

Quote by MaaZeus

See I agree with you on letting the TS decide, but I don't think the HT-5 is the right pick for TS anyway. Obviously he would have to decide, but the HT-5 is rather lackluster in my opinion
I find it interesting that you think it's highly compressed. I have the 120watt "+" version and find it too open and dynamic. It makes it hard to really nail quick tight palm mutes without actives.
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Quote by MaaZeus

Quote by Maineguitarist
This

311 is among the most knowledgeable members of this forum.
You would do better in learning from his advices instead of arguing.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman

I know that, I'm not denying it. I'm saying that MaaZeus has a point, no need to get butthurt about it
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard

Last edited by Maineguitarist at May 21, 2013,
Quote by Linkerman
Well they were right. I have nothing against Blackstar, and certainly don't shy away from solid state components like MaaZeus pointed out.

Cathbard and Kitty, I'm thinking that might be a good idea to mix the two, and put an RFT in V1 and a TungSol or something brighter in V2. I do like my amps on the brighter side, but not as bright as this one is -- even though the sweep can tune most of that out. Are RFTs darker than JJs? Maybe JJ 12AX7s would be a happy medium along with JJ 6V6s in the power section?
Quote by Guitar-KID125
I find it interesting that you think it's highly compressed. I have the 120watt "+" version and find it too open and dynamic. It makes it hard to really nail quick tight palm mutes without actives.
I'm not sure exactly sure how much the circuitry differs besides it being scaled down, but this is very tight for quick technical palm muting and chugs -- which is why I was thinking this would be good for those who like the chugga-chugga stuff.

I think the presence really helps in that area, finding the right mix between the sweep and the presence tightens it up, but even when set more "loose", it is still very highly compressed -- probably the most of any amp I've played.
Quote by Linkerman

Read what I said again. I did not question his knowledge (I am still a wet ear myself, I have no right to question other peoples knowledge about this stuff here), I questioned his reasons why he gave the advice which (apparently. correct me if I misunderstood him) was based purely on his subjective opinion about Blackstar as a company, not about the quality of the product mentioned here.

I am a firm supporter of making your own choice and forming your own opinion.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at May 21, 2013,
Page 1 of 2