So I've been doing a lot of amp research over the last few months. This is my first tube amp, after selling my Pod HD - just wasn't cutting it for me. Found a good deal on this on Craigslist and I picked it up yesterday!

Hmm, what do you think this is? Dual Rectifier, maybe

(Invalid img)

Nope, it's a combo.

(Invalid img)

Ooh, close up. Mark V maybe?
Close, but no.

(Invalid img)

Mesa/Boogie Mark IV combo! Fell in love with this amp a while ago because of John Petrucci, and now it's mine Got this for $850.

I believe it's a Mark IVA, made around 1992-93. Three channels, graphic EQ, two FX loops that can be selected with a switch on the back.

First things first - it sounds INCREDIBLE. The cleans are great - they stay clean, and with a bit of chorus and delay in the loop are just perfect. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect from the second channel, but it's great - warm and thick. I usually like more Marshally crunch sounds, with a little more edge and aggression, but I do like this channel quite a bit. And the lead channel...kinda speaks for itself, pretty much why I bought the amp! Tight, defined and plenty of mids, just blows me away every time I play it. It's still the honeymoon period I guess, but I love it to death! One weird thing - I have to run the bass and mids at around 1, or the bottom end kind of 'flubs' out. I just add low end in with the graphic EQ.

Overall, couldn't be any happier with it! Sorry for not having clips, but I don't have an audio interface to record with. Hopefully some ime in the next few weeks.
Cool. I love the Mark series.

Next time use photobucket for picture.

HNAD!

The flub is part of the characteristic of it. Pull it back from the point of flub and shift the bass up in the graphic EQ.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at May 20, 2013,
Mesa/Boogie amps are excellent. HNAD!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
well it is a 1x12 combo....so i dont think your gonna knock the house down with the bass. im sure it wouldnt be that way through a 4x12.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by cdr_salamander
How did you get the amp and the guitars to stick out from the wall like that?

This..... +1
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier HD Multi-Watt
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100MLB
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
Quote by ikey_
well it is a 1x12 combo....so i dont think your gonna knock the house down with the bass. im sure it wouldnt be that way through a 4x12.

I had a mark V and there was minimal difference between the combo and 4x12 regarding bass. It changed the response a little but not the feel of it. They don't have a huge low end. You will not feel it when you palm mute. I sold my mark V because of that. Still a great sounding amp by all accounts.

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
I had a mark V and there was minimal difference between the combo and 4x12 regarding bass. It changed the response a little but not the feel of it. They don't have a huge low end. You will not feel it when you palm mute. I sold my mark V because of that. Still a great sounding amp by all accounts.

Common theme of the Mark series, my MKIII had no thump either.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Thanks everyone! The bass response hasn't been a huge issue for me, the pull fat control on the gain knob thickens it up a bit. There's enough for me anyway, I don't really need or want a huge low end.

Quote by cdr_salamander
How did you get the amp and the guitars to stick out from the wall like that?

Not sure exactly what you mean...they're just resting on the ground.
These are gold little amps!! Enjoy mate!
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
Quote by R45VT

Then what the hell was up with the bass feedback with Metallica's II C+ on ..And Justice for All
Quote by darkwolf291
Then what the hell was up with the bass feedback with Metallica's II C+ on ..And Justice for All

Studio magic. Maybe they had the mic inside the cab for extra bass. Dunno

Still great sounding amps by any stretch. I'm not bagging on them or anything. If I wasn't getting married in a few weeks I would still have the Mark V.

I would like to pick up a used Mark IV when one pops up that isn't insanely over priced.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
It's weird. No heavy thump when playing the amp (although it can get very fat sounding), but when I've recorded my mark IV it's fairly percussive, but very musical still. Great amp. I put a G12K100 in mine and it slays.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by R45VT
Studio magic. Maybe they had the mic inside the cab for extra bass. Dunno

Still great sounding amps by any stretch. I'm not bagging on them or anything. If I wasn't getting married in a few weeks I would still have the Mark V.

I would like to pick up a used Mark IV when one pops up that isn't insanely over priced.

No studio mojo.
It happened with the demos too.
And their live stuff.
James just found some way to give himself MASSIVE bass