Hi,
Thinking of getting a Boss loopstation/Line 6 m13 stompbox modeller with integrated loopstation. My question is as follows.

If I record a bar which is eg 4 seconds long, I stamp on the pedal, start playing, then stamp on it again for recording to stop and looping to commence, if that duration is eg. 4.2 seconds as my reaction isnt fast enough surely that creates trouble? The second time it plays back it would be out of time with eg a drummer who might come in. I don't understand how people can just use a simple stompbox looper to just loop something seamlessly. Is there some sort of metronome or BPM or duration knob? I'd really like to know. Thanks!
You just have to get good at it. You tap in as the loop starts and tap out right when you want it to repeat. It just takes practice.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Its got some sort of 4/4 time signature mode and a tempo. Does that mean you could set it to record for x bars and it will auto stop when you've done that?
Surely if you were looping something for 4 minutes or an entire song you couldn't just record one bar of it, that's nowhere near precise enough!
If your timing is good it is precise enough. Like I said, it just takes practice.

There are bands that use loopers live heavily and use really basic ones with no midi/tempo/etc features
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ibanezguitars44
If your timing is good it is precise enough. Like I said, it just takes practice.

There are bands that use loopers live heavily and use really basic ones with no midi/tempo/etc features

Wow, makes me nervous to think about doing it properly!
Quote by ibanezguitars44

Just looked this up: http://puu.sh/2Xe4E.png

Its called quantising. It matches the tempo of the recording to that set in the pedal, genious. Thanks for the help!
Getting a seamless loop is all about the timing on the footswitch. It's not that hard to do. My hint is I generally play through the end of the loop. I.E. I end the loop on the 1 beat and play the first and maybe second beat after the loop is set.

Next, quantize does not give you a seamless loop. Quantize is useful when playing with synchronized drums or an audible or visual metronome click. Quantize tempo shifts the loop to match the beat. But that shift does not affect the way it sounds. I.E. if the loop glitches because you ended it wrong, then it will glitch after it's quantized.

Lastly, a live drummer isn't going to be off because the loop isn't precise in length. No matter how precise you make a loop it will not be exact. Therefore all band members need to slave to the loop to stay in sync.

I don't believe the M13 has quantize. It wasn't mentioned in it's manual. If it doesn't have a metronome the only thing to quantize to is the tap tempo of the FX.
You'll get it.

I imagine that when I step on my loop pedal I'm substituting a atrum for a step.

Just hit it when you want ilthe loop to end. Simple.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by fly135
Getting a seamless loop is all about the timing on the footswitch. It's not that hard to do. My hint is I generally play through the end of the loop. I.E. I end the loop on the 1 beat and play the first and maybe second beat after the loop is set.

Next, quantize does not give you a seamless loop. Quantize is useful when playing with synchronized drums or an audible or visual metronome click. Quantize tempo shifts the loop to match the beat. But that shift does not affect the way it sounds. I.E. if the loop glitches because you ended it wrong, then it will glitch after it's quantized.

Lastly, a live drummer isn't going to be off because the loop isn't precise in length. No matter how precise you make a loop it will not be exact. Therefore all band members need to slave to the loop to stay in sync.

I don't believe the M13 has quantize. It wasn't mentioned in it's manual. If it doesn't have a metronome the only thing to quantize to is the tap tempo of the FX.

*sorry it doesnt have quantize, i was just stating that the technology exists. Thanks for the help this helps alot!