Page 1 of 3
Chase.A
277 IQ
I know complaining about radio music is pretty stupid, but nobody really talks about country music on here. I'm I the only one that thinks its become the blandest genres of music?
This is coming from a country/folk/blues fan!
JackalUK
979 IQ
No, that award goes to modern RnB.

"OohohohoOhh babbyyyy OHOHOHHohohooohhoooo yeah.....oh yeah.baby oohohHOHOHOHHOHO"

Next track

"OohohohoOhh babbyyyy OHOHOHHohohooohhoooo yeah.....oh yeah.baby oohohHOHOHOHHOHO"

rinse and repeat
anvil is god
new cocaine
769 IQ
Quote by Chase.A
I'm I the only one that thinks its become the blandest genres of music?

What did you do to get this, bang your face on your keyboard?
I don't care for country, but I get the appeal.
Kamikaze1014
frothy beer is good beer
41 IQ
Well the "good" country music was written in a different place at a different time than we are today. Your surroundings and personal recollection changes the atmospheric value of your music. A lot of modern mainstream country seems to paint a picture of a loud bar or a modern sex filled love story. Older mainstream country talks more about hardships of rural America or a non-explicit love story.

I think it's become bland simply because life has changed for all fans and makers of it. It's more a kin to radio rock IMO, but that's talking about popular country of course. There are still backwoods bands and artist making more traditional music. Bluegrass is alive here in Alabama. You can catch bluegrass shows at a number of churches any given month.
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist
5,337 IQ
Quote by JackalUK

Next track

rinse and repeat

please. at least R&B musicians can sing well and create thick harmonies. rock musicians can rarely even bother to play a third let alone altered extensions.
#DTWD
guitarxo
cat
1,649 IQ
I like the "western" bit of "country and western"

unfortunately I have no idea who's doing that now
cat
Obsceneairwaves
UG Member
1,001 IQ
depends... I'm not huge on country but my grandad used to listen to it a lot, so I'm partial to bits of it.

I like bluegrass.
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Kamikaze1014
frothy beer is good beer
41 IQ
I like instrumental bluegrass. The singing style of most bluegrass artist never caught on with me, but It's damn impressive how long they can sustain certain notes.
arabmetallion
569 IQ
it's allot like Arabic pop music, both the lyrics and the melodies are exactly the ****ing same. I do get why people like it though.
My shitty gear:
Vox AD30VT-XL
Danelectro Fab Metal
Zoom 505 II
ESP Ltd MH-50
willT08
Banned
2,923 IQ
Well if you keep making tunes about a way of life that's dead, then yeah, they're gonna get bland because there's nothing new to talk about.
JackalUK
979 IQ
Quote by primusfan
please. at least R&B musicians can sing well and create thick harmonies. rock musicians can rarely even bother to play a third let alone altered extensions.

lol, gay.
GuitarGod_92
the Succubus Queen
363 IQ
Country has always been bland imo
Only country band I've ever been able to stand is Rehab, and that's because they are mostly a hip-hop group anyway. Graffiti the World (original and reissue) will always be a dope album.
My name is Sestra!
She/her pronouns please!
And if you call me by my username I'll bite your dick off.

Quote by suckersdream
I'll suck your dick

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
"Everything sucks" - GuitarGod_92, 2014

<3 eastwinn <3
ErikLensherr
MGTOW
1,631 IQ
Quote by JackalUK

Next track

rinse and repeat

Frank Ocean is a better person than you.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Rossenrot
I was in NYC for all of about 5 minutes until I was called a cracker and called out to fight someone.
Obsceneairwaves
UG Member
1,001 IQ
Do you consider this r&b?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzVrE0KOhlc

because I like simply red... sometimes...
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
2,512 IQ
Kamikaze summed it up well. I'm not into country but I go to a bluegrass weekend every summer and it's pretty damn fun, country girls are the hottest!
5_Years_Dead
Banned
359 IQ
If you don't like Hank, you can kiss my ass.

But for real, modern radio country music is horrid dreck.
jmag
Karma's Messenger
241 IQ
Quote by primusfan

Who exactly do you have in mind when talking about "rock musicians"?

I think the safest conclusion is: mainstream, commercial success-oriented music is bullshit, regardless of genre.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,141 IQ
The problem with all of you saying that there's no good modern country is that you're searching in all the wrongs places. This would be like saying that there is no more good modern rock because when you listen to your local rock station all you hear is Nickelback.

Quote by JackalUK

Next track

rinse and repeat

Charles Bradley would like a word with you.

Quote by guitarxo
I like the "western" bit of "country and western"

unfortunately I have no idea who's doing that now

"Country" and "Western" are really two different types of music though. They get lumped together due to certain similarities, while ignoring the obvious differences, both musically and culturally.

Country music is the modern form of rural Appalachian folk music (American southeast mostly, such as Tennessee, the Carolinas Virginia etc) while Western music is the traditional folk music of the American west (the southwest such as Texas and Oklahoma as well as the Midwest).

Western music hasn't been particularly popular since the Western swing of the 30s and early 40's though, but there are still some bands that play cowboy music and there are also some murder swing bands that are around (I've never listened to much of it, though it's analogous to cowpunk or psychobilly).

While I'm at it, I should also mention that "old time" music is the traditional Appalachian string band folk music and bluegrass is a modern form of string band music that combined old time music with jazz, blues, ragtime, and several other types of music.

Quote by Kamikaze1014
I like instrumental bluegrass. The singing style of most bluegrass artist never caught on with me, but It's damn impressive how long they can sustain certain notes.

What. The vocals are one of the best parts of bluegrass.

That high, lonesome sound man!

Quote by jmag
Who exactly do you have in mind when talking about "rock musicians"?

You can't honestly name a rock band with the exception of the odd prog rock band that is as harmonically lush as the average RnB act.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Get a #%$@ing life or you will get banned for life.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Read this please. This as well.
Demon Wolf
GT's Iron Fisted Leader
1,902 IQ
I'd like country if it wasn't for that idiotic twang they all sing with.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
jmag
Karma's Messenger
241 IQ
Quote by theogonia777
You can't honestly name a rock band with the exception of the odd prog rock band that is as harmonically lush as the average RnB act.

Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson, Karnivool, The Mars Volta, Thrice, and I could go on.

And I suppose if you venture enough into even more metal-ish territory there's a plethora of other "harmonically lush" bands.
Quote by primusfan

Last edited by jmag at May 20, 2013,
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark
6,721 IQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r958LKlid-g

Granted, this is hard rock but has huge country influences. It's modern, and awesome.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,141 IQ
Quote by jmag
Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson, Karnivool, The Mars Volta, Thrice, and I could go on.

And I suppose if you venture enough into even more metal-ish territory there's a plethore of other "harmonically lush" bands.

Half of those I don't agree with and the other half are prog rock.

I feel like you probably aren't particularly familiar with RnB either.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

jmag
Karma's Messenger
241 IQ
Quote by theogonia777
Half of those I don't agree with and the other half are prog rock.

Prog rock, alt rock, stoner rock, acid rock, eh. It's all rock brah For the matter I thought addressing the genre as a whole made more sense. But anyway I'm not going to argue personal taste with you eheh.

I don't pay much attention to this sort of debate anymore, since I'm finding it increasingly hard to judge genres instead of the musicians individually (bar a few). Which kind of was my point - there's good music mostly everywhere, whether you like it or you don't.
Quote by primusfan

DystoCreativity
269 IQ
There is some country out there that is actually really good.

Unfortunately, like good pop, good rap, and good electronica, you'll never hear it on the radio.
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,141 IQ
Quote by DystoCreativity
There is some country out there that is actually really good.

Unfortunately, like good pop, good rap, and good electronica, you'll never hear it on the radio.

You're just listening to the wrong radio then. Try listening to college radio.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

Quote by Arby911

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

willT08
Banned
2,923 IQ
Quote by DystoCreativity

Pssh, I can turn on Rinse, Rood or Sub FM any time of day
VanTheKraut
How tough am I?!
2,762 IQ
Quote by willT08
Well if you keep making tunes about a way of life that's dead, then yeah, they're gonna get bland because there's nothing new to talk about.

I was unaware that all of the small towns and rural communities in the United States had packed up and called it quits. How the **** is "the way of life" dead?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,141 IQ
Quote by JackalUK
How is that even remotely modern. Modern RnB is shite like Chris Brown, Usher, Ne-Yo and all those gobshites.

The album is from 2013. That's pretty modern if you ask me.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

Quote by Arby911

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

OVER9000VIDEOS
that ain't falco
589 IQ
everyone loves to rip on country music and call it hella gay but... how do you even come across country music without going out of your way to look for it????

I mean I can get ppl ripping on pop music because it's everywhere and you are bound to hear it but personally I have never heard a country song in my life??? why is everyone so upset????
JackalUK
979 IQ
The guy is ancient, he does classic RnB. He doesn't wear a backwards cap and a jock jacket and go BABY WHOOHhohohohWHWhowhoo for an album.
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,141 IQ
Then listen to Alicia Keys. Some people are just never satisfied.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

Quote by Arby911

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

Kamikaze1014
frothy beer is good beer
41 IQ
Quote by VanTheKraut
I was unaware that all of the small towns and rural communities in the United States had packed up and called it quits. How the **** is "the way of life" dead?
As someone who is from small town US, the way of life described in country music is dying. Because of modern TV and the WWW, the world has become smaller, and more youth in rural areas are exposed to other lifestyles and music that they would have never heard of in the "golden days", so to speak. It's definitely a smaller scene unless your band sounds like Tim McGraw or Carrie Underwood.
zomgguitarz1234
Everything you love sucks
2,920 IQ
Country pop is ****ing horrible. Is it just me or does every song have the same bass drum beat/tempo, and same exact steel guitar rise sound.
p_a_morgan
Beards Are Pretty Neat
689 IQ
Quote by JackalUK

Next track

rinse and repeat

"OohohohoOhh babbyyyy OHOHOHHohohooohhoooo TRUCK yeah.....oh yeah.baby oohohHOHOHOHHOHO Fishin'"

Next track

"OohohohoOhh babbyyyy OHOHOHHohohooohhoooo Mud boggin' yeah Farmin'.....oh yeah.baby oohohHOHOHOHHOHO"

^Edited for country. Vocals are worse, though.
zomgguitarz1234
Everything you love sucks
2,920 IQ
I remember I was listening to a rock station near here and some country singer chick came on for a ad and was talking about how they're where being stereotyped that country is all about "mamma and trucks" and how country has deep meaning. I think what they consider deep is the handful of love songs and some depressing suicide songs I heard which are pretty much done to death.