i've been playing acoustic for a couple years now, not very good at it, but that doesn't really matter. i'm planning in going electric, but i have absolutely no idea what gear you need to have, apart from the guitar itself and an amp and i have to know what i should buy besides those in order to make my guitar make the noise i want, which would be a kind of metal or punk rockish distortion sound. like i said, since i'm only a beginner, i do not look for a certain kind of sound or a certain quality, just the necessary gear to be able to get distortion out of my guitar. if i didn't misunderstand, it would be possible to do that only with a guitar and an amp, more specifically a tube amp.... ??? or do i need other stuff too (distortion pedals or other stuff??)

i don't necessarily need to know what brands are better and stuff like that, but what components i have to absolutely have in order to be able to play distortion and solos. after i'll learn to play better i will worry about better sounds too

so waiting for advices, thanks!
If I were just starting out and had no familiarity with what the different effects do I would buy something like a fender mustang (or vox or line 6, there are several) modeling amp and play with the built in effects till you get some idea which way you want to go. It's not hard to drop hundreds of dollars real quick on pedals. If you want a tube amp I would recommend the Vox AC4TV and a tube screamer pedal, about $350 USD new.
Quote by RedJamaX
What's your budget?

right now i have about around 600-650 euros that i could spare myself of (so about 800 us dollars). that's my basic budget, i don't need to make sacrifices as long as i don't surpass that, but i could add up to 400 euros to it if needed . i don't want new stuff necessarily. there are one or two used instruments shops around my area and also there's always the internet as an option...
Great, you've got some room to get a decent equipment. My first suggestion - BUY USED. Don't spend a lot of money on new equipment when you already know that you're not totally sure about what you want as far as feel and sound. Buy new later on, when you already know exactly what you want.

As you said, you are not yet looking for a certain type of sound because you're still a beginner, we've all been there. Took me several years before I started paying attention to tone enough to hear the differences in different pickups and amps. You have a couple options to look at with this budget.

OPTION 1 - Decent practice amp and decent guitar

AMP - Go with a Modelling Amp. Modelling Amps are loaded with a "software" which emulates the sounds of other classic types of amplifiers, typically popular Tube Amps. Get AT LEAST a 1x12 combo... that's an amp with the speaker and the head built into one box and it has a single 12" speaker (or driver). With at least a single 12, you won't feel like you are lacking for a while.

$100 - $150
Modelling Amps - My preference goes in this order for a good starter amp:
Peavey Vypyr 30, Fender Mustang II, Line 6 Spider 30W
You can find these all at decent used prices for under $200. Peavey Vypyr has the most range of tones and the spider has the least. All have great distortion modes.

Guitar:
With $600 left over for a guitar, you can get your hands on some really good options. ESP LTD 400 series are excellent. PRS SE makes great guitars in that range... and Even Gibson now has the LPJ Les Paul... all the same build quality as the studios, but less "pretty".

Option 2 - Better Amp and less expensive guitar.

So first thing's first... Why would you want a better amp and a cheaper guitar to start? Well, because you are just starting... There are lots of amps out there to choose from, but even more guitars... and with guitars it's not just the sound, but the feel as well, and each model is unique in it's own right. And if you get a $200 EC series ESP LTD - the construction will not be as good as the $1000 model, but the general "feel" of the instrument will be very similar... The "feel" includes the body weight, neck contour (feel of the neck in the grip of your hand), fretboard radius (strong curve or very flat)... So If you drop a significant amount of money on a guitar that you cannot upgrade from in a long time, then you may be kicking yourself. But it you get a better amp to start with, then you will most likely end up keeping the amp while you get a feel for what you do and don't like in your guitar. I've found that picking a guitar is far more tedious than picking an amp.

Better Amps - $300-$400 - at this budget, I still recommend going for the modelling amps, but get the better versions.
Peavey Vypyr 120 - 120Watts, 2x12", and this one actually has real power tubes (I wish I had bought this one instead of my Vypyr 100)
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12 - This one also has real tubes. (some people really hate these amps, so I'm sure you'll see this recommendation catch some flack)
Vox Valvetronix 120+
Fender Mustang 2x12
There are other, but these are probably the most popular.

Guitar - Go to your local shop and play them... stick within your remaining budget, try to find the same amp (or series) that you want to buy and test each guitar on THAT type of amp so you know how it will sound. Then buy the one that sounds and feels best to you at this moment.

If I knew then, what I know now... I'd have bought a better amp first...
i vote for a PRS SE and Fender Mustang II, my setup is a PRS SE custom 24 and a Fender Mustang I and i am not a begginer i say i am almost intermediate player and with that i got all my bases covered, i can play almost anything i want, except extreme metal but hard rock and classic rock is well covered i am not a punk player but you should get a decent sound
Wow, you really said everything. Just one thing more- you dont have to spend all your money. That means you dont have to buy either expensive guitar or amp. You can buy both less expensive. Just what I think.
Quote by James Hetfield
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is GONE.

http://www.youtube.com/intwernet
Guitar and acoustic bass covers with creative editing
This:
http://www.thomann.de/fi/esp_ltd_ec_256_fm_csb.htm

or

this:
http://www.thomann.de/fi/cort_evlz4.htm

combine with
http://www.thomann.de/fi/peavey_vypyr_30.htm
if you are into high gain rock and metal. If you find the idea of modelling amp with all the different amp models and effects overwhelming, get something that can teach you the basics how amps work. Like this
http://www.thomann.de/fi/peavey_bandit_112_new.htm
which I recommend trying to find used, much cheaper.

Spend the rest for cables, A GOOD LEATHER STRAP, picks and new set of strings. Really, after you get the new guitar, take it to closest guitar shop and ask them to install the new strings and do a proper setup. Factory setups tend to be less than ideal.

I dont like the idea of going used for your first electric. Too many risks involved if you dont know what to look for. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at May 20, 2013,
If you do decide to go tube, and maybe this will be more difficult in the UK, but some amps to look into (check used on these):

Peavey Valveking 1x12
Peavey Classic 30
Crate V18
Jet City 20 watt combo

These are all decent-to-good sounding, and should suit you well for a while. With your budget, you should still have enough left over to snag a used PRS SE, maybe a MIK Epiphone LP, or something else of a lesser known brand. Some of these amps have a foot switching option, bypassing the need for a tube screamer or distortion. I liked my Vox AC4TV, but found it a little boxy sounding unless used as a head instead of a combo.
OffsetOffset
thanks for all the answers!

after a whole day of documentation i'm still undecided. but now i know at least 100 times more than this morning about amps and guitars. the best solutions for me right now, after seeing prices for both new and second hand stuff, seems to be to go for brand new equipment (since i wouldn't be able to spot defects on used stuff, given my lack of experience). i'm thinking about either a peavey vypyr 30 (or 75) or a fender mustang III v2 amp, though the fender is much easier to find both online and in the shops as i've seen. as for the guitar, i have no clue, but i'll probably go for a cheaper new one (most likely Epiphone Les Paul 100, i've heard pretty good things about it, people seem to be pleased about the quality vs price ratio)... but still i will take people's advice and try out a few in a shop and see what i like.

again thanks a lot, this was very helpful!
i haven't tried it, but the lp100 isn't meant to be great

and yeah a modelling amp is probably the thing when you're starting out
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you do decide to go tube, and maybe this will be more difficult in the UK, but some amps to look into (check used on these):

Nothing wrong with those, but in the UK, why not look at a Vox or Marshall tube amp?

I know that when I went looking for a combo tube amp, Vox was among my finalists, along with a Peavey and a Fender. Nice cleans. Good quality.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Nothing wrong with those, but in the UK, why not look at a Vox or Marshall tube amp?

I know that when I went looking for a combo tube amp, Vox was among my finalists, along with a Peavey and a Fender. Nice cleans. Good quality.

I agree, I was thinking with his budget, those would leave him so room budget wise. Vox is a solid contender, though for metal they can be a bit tinny (you can always EQ it to battle that). A Fender Hot Rod Deluxe could be nice if you can snag one used.
OffsetOffset
I have a HRD - not the best for metal. I'm looking at Oranges now.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Ah, yeah, the Orange is definitely better. Actually, the Jet City is great for metal, too. Turning the gain past three on the second channel starts the br00tz.
OffsetOffset
I have heard good things about Jet City, but never saw one in person.

They're great to grab on the used market. They, like many of the good smaller brands (Blackheart, etc.), seem to lose substantial value on the resale market. I guess if it doesn't swing with the bigger names, it doesn't hold value too well.

OP should also look at the Crate Palomino and Peavey Windsor. Those are both solid lines.
OffsetOffset
I tried a Blackheart once. Good amp, and I should have bought it.