Today marked the day where the HMS Ark Royal departed on its final voyage to Turkey to be dismantled. It served in the Bosnian and Iraq wars and was controversially decommissioned in 2011.

I was lucky enough to see it today before it set off on its last 2,000 mile journey and it was rather sad to see this great £320m machine get sent to its death.

I haven't seen anyone talk about boats/ships or anything on UG so it will be interesting to see who gives a damn

"Built By British Craftsmen, Crewed By British Heroes, Sunk By British Politicians."
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Last edited by leony03 at May 20, 2013,
R.I.P. You magnificent bastard.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
R.I.P. You magnificent bastard.

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Shame we have to scrap (literally) stuff like this, all comes down to money.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Somebody needs to sink that shit STAT
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
It's always sad when a ship gets sent to the breakers.

My favourite story involves HMS Warspite. There were campaigns to save her as a museum ship, but the Admiralty decided to scrap her anyway. So, naturally the grand old ship decided to run aground on the way to the breakers. It was like a last 'sod off' to the folks that approved the scrapping.

Large, sad photo ahead.

Quote by bradulator
Somebody needs to sink that shit STAT

The assembled hordes of Genghis Khan couldn't breach that hull, and believe me they tried.
Quote by Hydra150
Shame we have to scrap (literally) stuff like this, all comes down to money.

Yeah, it always does unfortunately. At least the Illustrious is going to be kept here and used as something like a museum or something. Just a shame the Ark Royal and Invincible got scrapped

Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
It's always sad when a ship gets sent to the breakers.

My favourite story involves HMS Warspite. There were campaigns to save her as a museum ship, but the Admiralty decided to scrap her anyway. So, naturally the grand old ship decided to run aground on the way to the breakers. It was like a last 'sod off' to the folks that approved the scrapping.

Large, sad photo ahead.

She clearly didn't think her time was up.

I read somewhere that there was a bid by a company to sink the Ark and use it as a diving attraction which is quite a cool idea but then again, I don't like the idea of it being sunk at the same time haha.

Quote by angusfan16
Last edited by leony03 at May 20, 2013,
She was a fine vessel and her ship was great too!
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Also, possibly the scrapping decision that outrages me the most. The decision in 1949 to scrap HMS Implacable.

A ship that was laid down in france in 1794. Launched as Duguay-Trouin. Fought at Trafalgar, where she was captured by the Royal Navy. Lasts well into the 20th century, over 150 years old. An invaluable example of our maritime past.

What do you do with such a historical ship? "Lol, blow it up." I mean, argh. Rage.
At least the Victory is still standing
I think that decommissioned ships should be sunk into somewhat shallow water as a reminder of its gallantry like the USS Arizona in Hawaii. Then again, that ship was sunk during battle, so that may cause a stir.

;_;

Shame.

Such a waste.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Shame.

Such a waste.

It is indeed

Its nice to see some people in the Pit that actually do care

Quote by angusfan16
Warships are ridiculously badass. Probably the most badass of war vehicles. Jets are a close second.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
Warships are ridiculously badass. Probably the most badass of war vehicles. Jets are a close second.

As for a war bike...

Quote by angusfan16