I have been playing guitar for about 8 months and, after playing on a squier for all this time, i would like to upgrade. I play exclusively hard rock/metal rhythm such as tool, trivium, iron maiden, and deftones. From my previous posts, I have heard the importance of trying before buying and so i have. I thought i would like the epiphone les paul and i tried it and hated it. I tried the schecter hellraiser and it was ok. I have tried a MIM fat strat and i liked it. Basically, I like the traditional strat body type. I especially like the feel of my squier and so I am considering upgrading it instead of buying a totally new guitar. My budget is about $250-400 and i would buy used.
1. Strap on some overalls
2. Arpeggio Seriousness
3. Lock Horns
4. Take a big fresh breath of air
5. Go Surfin'
6. Get high on fire
Find a used MIM fat strat, surely it'll be within budget. Check guitarcenter online. Another option you can try is the Kramer Striker (reissue) they come with a floyd rose or fixed bridge, your choice. Fixed bridge is cheaper. That too is HSS. I wouldn't upgrade the squire though.
I have actually tried out my friend's kramer and it was pretty nice. How are the stock pickups on a MIM fat strat?
2. Arpeggio Seriousness
3. Lock Horns
5. Go Surfin'
6. Get high on fire
Also take a look at the:
G&L Legacy
G&L Rampage
PRS SE Custom 24/22
Gibson faded SG
LTD M-400
LTD EC-400
Jackson Dinky
Charvel

Fender pickups are not that great for hi-gain, they'll work just not the best
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
High-end LTDs are good. Check them out used. If you like metal, you can find a lot of '80s and '90s Ibanez, Jackson and Charvel guitars that were made in Japan. These are usually high-quality instruments which cost much less than many similar-quality guitars. The downsides mostly have to do with them being older instruments, usually with a Floyd Rose or equivalent trem, and usually with humbuckers.
What if i upgrade the pickups on the mim fat strat?
2. Arpeggio Seriousness
3. Lock Horns
5. Go Surfin'
6. Get high on fire
Quote by brenthinds
What if i upgrade the pickups on the mim fat strat?

That is a good option if you like the way the Strat plays
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate