Hi everybody!
I've a DUNLOP MXR FULLBORE METAL it works on heavy riffs but on distorted arpeggios sound is a lot confused. A friend have suggested me to buy a Tube screamer. I'm not agree at all because I think could to be a specific eq about. Or maybe need both things. Tell me what you think and what you suggest.

we play metalcore, deathcore, post rock, prog metal, hardcore, nu metal, death metal

need a solution for gigs
Last edited by mikitarrist at May 20, 2013,
Quote by mikitarrist
Hi everybody!
I've a DUNLOP MXR FULLBORE METAL it works on heavy riffs but on distorted arpeggios sound is a lot confused. A friend have suggested me to buy a Tube screamer. I'm not agree at all because I think could to be a specific eq about. Or maybe need both things. Tell me what you think and what you suggest.

Give us more information. What amp and what guitar/pick-ups tuning?

What settings on amp and pedal?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
There are a few things you can do to increase definition, but it would help if you listed what you were using amp wise as well as the settings for your pedal/amp. Aside from that, here are some basic notes for increasing clarity:
-Reduce the amount of gain you're using.
-Set the "freq" knob to focus on the high mids.
-Set your Highs and Lows at 2:00, and the Mids at Noon. Adjust from there.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by mikitarrist
Hi everybody!

we play metalcore, deathcore, post rock, prog metal, hardcore, nu metal, death metal

need a solution for gigs

Your distortion pedal is the problem here. As you mentioned it works well on heavy riffs, if your gain is dialed high, you will lose definition. If you want better clarity and definition, lower the gain, or use a dirt pedal that isn't always punishing your preamp stage.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
To increase definition you'll want less gain and probably also less low end. Perhaps that's why the tubescreamer was recommended, as it cuts the low end quite a bit [and adds a healthy mid bump].

Knowing what gear you use is important though, as noted.
RIP Gooze

cats
If you want something like a tubescreamer but would like to be able to change the EQ of it a bit look at the Digitech Bad Monkey - it's a tubescreamer clone with 2 extra eq knobs and it's great for the price.
Tube Screamer doesn't really work as a distortion pedal that would give you all the distortion you need. Heavy metal bands use Tube Screamers to boost already overdriven amps. So if you want a pedal that can do all of your distortion, Tube Screamer isn't a good choice.

But what amp are you using? It might be that your unclear sound is due to your amp. But I'm pretty sure it's also because you are using too much gain or scoop your mids too much or have too much bass or something.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Thanks for the follow up and glad it worked out for you.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by losing battle
Thanks for the follow up and glad it worked out for you.

you're welcome !