Page 1 of 3
some talking okay, whatever, but on and on and on with a singer who talks longer than the length of the song(s), and after every song.

who can hear them anyway? the vocal mix is muffled usually and under the mix of the music. so after the band stops a song, how can you hear a vocalist talking with their volume/gain not as high? unless you are next to the p.a.

it's like them little toddler kids who first learn how to talk and can't stop talking, often saying hello over and over and to everyone.

it's always the same lines anyway
'MAKE SOME NOISE!'
'HOW'S EVERYONE DOING TONIGHT?'
'WE WANNA THANK YOU FOR COMING DOWN AND SUPPORTING US'
'WE LOVE YOU'
'RAISE YOUR HANDS IN THE HAND THE AIR'
'I CAN'T HEAR YOU....I STILL CAN'T HEAR YOU'
'ARE YOU HAVING A GOOD TIME SO FAR?'
'EVERYBODY SCREEEEEEEAM"

ETC...
Good banter can be awesome. Even if it's just the shit in the OP it's better than nothing, it'd be pretty awkward if they just played and left without saying a word.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Good banter can be awesome. Even if it's just the shit in the OP it's better than nothing, it'd be pretty awkward if they just played and left without saying a word.

that's why i said some talking would be okay. or maybe if they we're at least funny, like a singer who is a good comedian at the same time. that'd be good, or better.
it is boring when the bands just play through songs without any cute chatter
it is stupid when they just say fake ass 'showmanship' things like that
but that is what you get for being into lame ass bands who have nothing genuine to say
Quote by Redsectoreh
Stop going to the concerts of shitty bands. Problem solved.

what band/artist doesn't over do this?
The humble ones that are aware that you are paying good money to hear music and not verbal dogshit.
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
but that is what you get for being into lame ass bands who have nothing genuine to say

it's boring when they are just playing music? isn't that what you went there for?

when you listen to entire album of a band non stop like at home, you don't hear them talking on that, but do you get bored then? i doubt it.
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

A friend of mine went to Bob Dylan's concert a few years back. He just played his songs from start to finish without saying a word. Apparently not the best concert he has been to
I've only seen bad bands that overdid the crowd banter thing. Heck, of all the bands I've seen in the past years, only this shitty punk band from Berlin talked excessively, and I'm pretty sure the singer was on something and felt he had to express himself to the crowd. Over and over again.

But all the other bands left it at "Hey *insert name of town here*, we're *insert band name here*", the occasional "Hell yeah" or "Go!/Let's do this" or whatever, and the mandatory "We're *band name*, and this is *name* on *instrument* etc.".

I wasn't actually at this concert, but the idea of what the singer does before they start the song is pretty damn cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioKKXBUa7T0

At 0:25
Some artists do it so that the guitarists/bassists can switch gear or make sure their stuff is in tune. Other times, it's used as a good lead in. When I went to see Steven Wilson a few weeks ago, he was talking about that movie the Spring Breakers and used it as an awesome lead in for the next song, but on top of that, I noticed that in the background, Guthrie was looking through his guitars trying to decide which would be best for the song
Quote by Redsectoreh
The humble ones that are aware that you are paying good money to hear music and not verbal dogshit.

if they got something to say, then say it in a song i say.

then again i don't get into any kind of motivation speeches.
Quote by Redsectoreh

but you can't name one band?
Quote by chaoticfables
A friend of mine went to Bob Dylan's concert a few years back. He just played his songs from start to finish without saying a word. Apparently not the best concert he has been to

well sometimes bands have a bad performance night. but at least he didn't talk half the time.
Quote by dog_style
it's boring when they are just playing music? isn't that what you went there for?

when you listen to entire album of a band non stop like at home, you don't hear them talking on that, but do you get bored then? i doubt it.

i went to watch them play music, yes. but that does not mean good chatter does not make for a better experience.

i usually get bored at times regardless.
Quote by dog_style
but you can't name one band?

Well, recently it's been Meshuggah. They played their kickass set, said thanks for coming to to the show, played two more songs and left. I used to not mind a little banter but not anymore, most bands I've seen recently just shut up and play. Like that one saying goes: "Less talk, more rock."
Quote by CoreysMonster
I've only seen bad bands that overdid the crowd banter thing. Heck, of all the bands I've seen in the past years, only this shitty punk band from Berlin talked excessively, and I'm pretty sure the singer was on something and felt he had to express himself to the crowd. Over and over again.

But all the other bands left it at "Hey *insert name of town here*, we're *insert band name here*", the occasional "Hell yeah" or "Go!/Let's do this" or whatever, and the mandatory "We're *band name*, and this is *name* on *instrument* etc.".

I wasn't actually at this concert, but the idea of what the singer does before they start the song is pretty damn cool.

At 0:25

some aren't so bad at it. i was expecting him to go on with the 'i can't hear you' line.
Most stage banter I've seen was from The Joy Formidable and that was enjoyable. Most bands' singers I've seen only say a few words after a few songs, or nothing at all.
Quote by Redsectoreh
Well, recently it's been Meshuggah. They played their kickass set, said thanks for coming to to the show, played two more songs and left. I used to not mind a little banter but not anymore, most bands I've seen recently just shut up and play. Like that one saying goes: "Less talk, more rock."

recently because you just watched that video?
so did i
Quote by Shotgunmerc
Some artists do it so that the guitarists/bassists can switch gear or make sure their stuff is in tune. Other times, it's used as a good lead in. When I went to see Steven Wilson a few weeks ago, he was talking about that movie the Spring Breakers and used it as an awesome lead in for the next song, but on top of that, I noticed that in the background, Guthrie was looking through his guitars trying to decide which would be best for the song

switch gears. that seldom happens. excessive talking always happens these days.
Quote by dog_style

What? Whose concerts have you been to that had so much excessive talking?
Quote by dog_style

I mean, I saw Van Halen a little over a year ago, and you'd think DLR would be talking all the goddamn time, but nah, it was just song after song after song

I've never really had a problem with guys who do that anyway as long as they're cool about it. Never saw a band that did it excessively
A good concert happens when the band provides and energy, the crowd reciprocates energy and it all becomes one big seamless party across th "fourth wall."

Talking is a great way to build that rapport between you and your audience. Obviously it has to be done right.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
What I enjoyed was when I saw the Deftones at Music Fest where Chino called someone out for texting during their song.

so what if you text at a concert? you're still listening to the live music. what? they need to be watched every second? next thing you'll know a singer will call you out for talking to your friend(s) at a concert and make you go to the back of the class...or concert.
Quote by dog_style
so what if you text at a concert? you're still listening to the live music. what? they need to be watched every second? next thing you'll know a singer will call you out for talking to your friend(s) at a concert and make you go to the back of the class...or concert.

It's called etiquette
why the fvck would you want to go to a concert solely to 'listen' to live music?

who cares about fvcking 'etiquette' at a rock concert?
Quote by CoreysMonster
What? Whose concerts have you been to that had so much excessive talking?

80's hair and metal bands. some post modern grunge bands. some classic rock bands who are still around playing.
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌

qft
Quote by Shotgunmerc
I mean, I saw Van Halen a little over a year ago, and you'd think DLR would be talking all the goddamn time, but nah, it was just song after song after song

I've never really had a problem with guys who do that anyway as long as they're cool about it. Never saw a band that did it excessively

maybe you're more patient than me.
excessive could be a matter of opinion on what excessive is.
Quote by Redsectoreh
It's called etiquette

well sure, that's why i say some talking is okay. i don't mind learning some history on the band, but after a while, it's PLAY ALREADY!
Quote by snipelfritz
A good concert happens when the band provides and energy, the crowd reciprocates energy and it all becomes one big seamless party across th "fourth wall."

Talking is a great way to build that rapport between you and your audience. Obviously it has to be done right.

i don't see how too much talking is good for rapport though.
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
why the fvck would you want to go to a concert solely to 'listen' to live music?

to listen to music.

people that don't wanna get hurt?
Quote by blake1221
qft

talk to your friend(s) then at the concert.

just a thought.
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌

Not you obviously, you badass.
It depends. I love it when the band jokes around with the audience between songs.

As much as I dislike Mustaine, he does have some of the best stage banter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXsCokh-NIQ
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Yeah I love that video /\/\/\/\ the one where he calls out the guy with the laser pointer at woodstock 99 is a classic too.
Quote by Redsectoreh
Not you obviously, you badass.

'oh bro
sorry you missed the show
because i did not reply to your text,
but i did not want to be a bad guest.'
Page 1 of 3