I have a vox ac30c2 and when I plug my distoriton pedal in straight through the input jack on low gain, and turn the pedal on it just starts crackling and cutting in and out, everything is set fairly low so I cant understand why its still crackling
1) What pedal?
2) How are you powering it?
3) Have you check leads, different guitars, different inputs and a different power source?
4) Does it only do it with the pedal or does it do it without first?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
boss ds-1
9v battery powering it
checked everything
and only does it when I switch the pedal on
I'd say it's the battery. Pick up a power supply. I'd recommend something like the Boss PSA or the Onespot. The Boss has a noise suppressor built in. Don't cheap out on power supplies, cheap ones are ridiculously noisy.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Pedal must be ****ed. I assume you tried a fresh battery.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Pedal must be ****ed. I assume you tried a fresh battery.

I assumed not.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
You were probably correct.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
thanks guys much appreciated working again now although i thinki might change to a overdrive pedal distortion seems to be abit to much
Quote by Benji182
thanks guys much appreciated working again now although i thinki might change to a overdrive pedal distortion seems to be abit to much

The DS1 isn't typically a great example of...distortion.

What kind of sounds are you looking for or trying to achieve? If you list a budget and some bands whose sound you like we can offer some suggestions.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
looking for a blink/angels and airwaves sound sort of like a pop/punk crossed with altv rock and budget isnt really a factor
Last edited by Benji182 at May 21, 2013,
Quote by Eppicurt
I'd say it's the battery. Pick up a power supply. I'd recommend something like the Boss PSA or the Onespot. The Boss has a noise suppressor built in. Don't cheap out on power supplies, cheap ones are ridiculously noisy.

I know this is just anecdotal, but the Chinese PSU I got with 6 connectors for like $14 is just as quiet as batteries
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
You've got a Vox AC30 & you're using a distortion pedal to get a blink tone?

WTF?

Seriosuly. Go buy a tube screamer & learn to EQ. You shouldn't need a distortion pedal or anything else.

I think Tom uses an AC30 & a Fulltone overdrive pedal.
I have a similar setup to you and I find the best way to get that sort of tone is to link the normal and top boost channels, set both of the volumes to full then eq the top boost so the bass is around 2'oclock and treble just over 10'oclock with reverb to taste.

This gives you a nice crunchy overdrive which sounds great for really low gain stuff and you can make go completely clean with your guitar's volume knob.

Then I then boost this with a rat as I find a tubescreamer to be too compressed, and the settings on the rat are distortion and filter at 10'oclock with volume at just above 4'oclock you then have a really nice British crunchy distortion which suits pop punk perfectly.