Hello dear members of UG!! How are you people? I hope you are all fine. Playing guitar is my hobby. I play guitar because I love to play this instrument. Well, I've been thinking lately that why don't I record my playing, let's listen how my playing sounds like. I used my cell phone's recorder so I better not mention the quality of the sound. I use video lessons or listening/watching others playing on the internet for the improvement of my playing level as well as learning new stuffs on guitar. So most of the time my computer remains turned on while I practice/play my guitar. So I decided why don't I record through my computer like many others on the internet? I did a quick research and found this external audio USB interface: Line 6 toneport ux2 which will let me to connect guitar to my PC. I'm thinking about purchasing one. Now my question is does anyone of you who uses it can tell me that is this device actually good, reliable and easy to use? Do programs like Guitar Rig support it? I've seen people who have studio monitors are using it to record but I don't have any studio monitors, so how do I get the sound through my regular PC speakers? Any constructive comments and suggestions are most welcome.
Quote by stranger_23
Hello dear members of UG!! How are you people? I hope you are all fine. Playing guitar is my hobby. I play guitar because I love to play this instrument. Well, I've been thinking lately that why don't I record my playing, let's listen how my playing sounds like. I used my cell phone's recorder so I better not mention the quality of the sound. I use video lessons or listening/watching others playing on the internet for the improvement of my playing level as well as learning new stuffs on guitar. So most of the time my computer remains turned on while I practice/play my guitar. So I decided why don't I record through my computer like many others on the internet? I did a quick research and found this external audio USB interface: Line 6 toneport ux2 which will let me to connect guitar to my PC. I'm thinking about purchasing one. Now my question is does anyone of you who uses it can tell me that is this device actually good, reliable and easy to use? Do programs like Guitar Rig support it? I've seen people who have studio monitors are using it to record but I don't have any studio monitors, so how do I get the sound through my regular PC speakers? Any constructive comments and suggestions are most welcome.

I personally have a UX2, which I love to bits
However the regulars here will recommend the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (I believe it's called)
I don't have any experience with it, so I can't comment

My UX2 does the job it's supposed to....record guitar into my DAW
Things like getting sound through PC speakers is something you'd have to adjust in your system preferences once you've got your interface and updated the drivers for it
Right now my output sound is always through my interface, whenever I have it plugged in I never have my laptops speakers as the dedicated output, I could, but I'd rather use my interface's headphone output or my monitors...

I found the UX2 pretty simple to use, install drivers, update them, plug, record, go
But check out other interfaces in your price range too
Specifically the interfaces sticky in this sub forum
Last edited by Highelf04 at May 21, 2013,
Quote by Highelf04
I personally have a UX2, which I love to bits
However the regulars here will recommend the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (I believe it's called)
I don't have any experience with it, so I can't comment

That or the Focusrite Saffire 6 which is the same thing but older. The main reason why is because the preamps are a lot cleaner sounding and don't have that low end mud that distorts the signal like the Line 6 interfaces. The main selling point with the Line 6 interfaces is that they include POD Farm.

Do you ever plan to record vocals or just guitar & bass? If so, I wouldn't even go with the UX2 an go with the POD Studio GX which is half the price and only has an input for guitar. It'll work with Guitar Rig but why would you want to buy that when both the GX & UX2 come with POD Farm which is comparable?

As for Studio Monitors & such, you could use a driver called ASIO4ALL to set the output to your main computer speakers.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by Highelf04
I personally have a UX2....

I am totally new in recording stuff. So there may be a lot of terms regarding this digital audio workstation or sound recording which are ambiguous to me. So is it possible to get a decent sound from this USB audio interface even if I use my PC speakers as output source? What did you mean by your output sound is through your interface? How do you connect it to your computer? I mean can I connect guitar cable directly to it and then connect the USB cable from it to the computer's USB port, is that it? No more cable connections and just install the drivers, plug and play?

Quote by lockwolf
That or the Focusrite Saffire 6 which is the same thing but older....

I just want to record only guitar, I don't know how to play bass and I don't have any plan to record vocals. I didn't know about POD Studio GX. It seems a good option. I need to check local music stores whether they have POD Studio GX or not. Is it possible to listen the exact same thing as the recorded sound of what I've played, while recording the guitar track if I use my PC speakers as output? And will I have better output from my PC speakers if I use ASIO4all driver?
Quote by stranger_23
Is it possible to listen the exact same thing as the recorded sound of what I've played, while recording the guitar track if I use my PC speakers as output? And will I have better output from my PC speakers if I use ASIO4all driver?

Yup. When you load up your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation, fancy name for "Recording Software". I suggest Reaper as it has a 30 Day Free Trial and is only $60 after that) and set POD Farm as an insert on your track, you'll be able to monitor the sound of your guitar going through PF as you record. Obviously, once you get your interface, this will be something worth figuring out but the short answer is yes.

As for ASIO4ALL, you'll need it to have the output of your DAW go to your speakers instead of back out your interface where you'd need monitors. By default, all DAWs will set the input & output to be through your interface (The GX). ASIO4ALL allows you to choose where you want the audio coming from and where you want it to play from.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by stranger_23
I am totally new in recording stuff. So there may be a lot of terms regarding this digital audio workstation or sound recording which are ambiguous to me. So is it possible to get a decent sound from this USB audio interface even if I use my PC speakers as output source? What did you mean by your output sound is through your interface? How do you connect it to your computer? I mean can I connect guitar cable directly to it and then connect the USB cable from it to the computer's USB port, is that it? No more cable connections and just install the drivers, plug and play?

For an audio work station, as Lockwolf suggested, download reaper
30 day free trial, only $60 and it's powerful as hell

Yeah of course, it's just that when it comes to mixing and mastering, using your laptop/pc speakers isn't a good idea.
Basically my audio interface (UX2) along with my DAW (logic) have the inputs set to instrument on my interface, and the outputs set to my interface. I COULD change this in my system preferences in logic, however I don't want to, as I much prefer my output through my interface rather than my laptop speakers.

UX2, is simply, USB connection to the computer, the USB powers the interface (pre-amps and all, otherwise it won't work in the slightest), then I plug my guitar in when necessary.
The UX2 comes with a driver disc, however it will most definitely need updating (who knows how long the interface has been sitting on the shelf, and how many updates have come out between now and then??)
Quote by lockwolf
Yup. When you load up your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation, fancy name for "Recording Software"....

Looks like ASIO4ALL is real handy for me as I'd like to have my output from my speaker system. Does "the output come from the interface" mean that the USB audio interface device itself literally produce the sound? DAW is used for recording and mastering and effect processor software is for having various guitar effects while playing. I'd like to know that is it possible to use effect processor software like POD Farm's or Guitar Rig's effects/tones in DAW while playing? You've suggested the DAW named 'Reaper'. Does it support any effect processor software like POD Farm or Guitar Rig? I wish you don't mind telling me these very basic stuffs as I'm a total beginner and I have almost zero knowledge about recording.
Quote by Highelf04
For an audio work station, as Lockwolf suggested, download reaper....

I'm not going to do any sort of professional mixing or mastering. I just want to record my playing and want to listen how does it sound like. I didn't have any idea about the necessity of DAW for recording up till now. Is using Reaper fairly normal or too complex? It seems the actual recording will be captured/done by the DAW so I wish Reaper is great for recording. I've also heard about Audacity and Cakewalk Sonar for recording. Using Line 6 toneport ux2 seems easy. So it requires only one USB cable to be connected to the PC's USB port and then the guitar is directly connected to it through the guitar cable and after installing the driver, the effect software and the DAW I'll be able to record the guitar track and no more hassle, right? Thanks for helping.
Quote by stranger_23
Looks like ASIO4ALL is real handy for me as I'd like to have my output from my speaker system. Does "the output come from the interface" mean that the USB audio interface device itself literally produce the sound? DAW is used for recording and mastering and effect processor software is for having various guitar effects while playing. I'd like to know that is it possible to use effect processor software like POD Farm's or Guitar Rig's effects/tones in DAW while playing? You've suggested the DAW named 'Reaper'. Does it support any effect processor software like POD Farm or Guitar Rig? I wish you don't mind telling me these very basic stuffs as I'm a total beginner and I have almost zero knowledge about recording.

The interface replaces your sound card, which is a good thing because consumer-grade sound cards suck for digital audio. Interfaces are designed to be faster (meaning less latency) and clearer for recording. So yes, the sound will come out of the interface.
"Effect processor software" typically come in a few types of formats; the most common one is VST, which Guitar Rig and POD Farm use, and which most DAWs support (including Reaper).

Quote by stranger_23
I'm not going to do any sort of professional mixing or mastering. I just want to record my playing and want to listen how does it sound like. I didn't have any idea about the necessity of DAW for recording up till now. Is using Reaper fairly normal or too complex? It seems the actual recording will be captured/done by the DAW so I wish Reaper is great for recording. I've also heard about Audacity and Cakewalk Sonar for recording. Using Line 6 toneport ux2 seems easy. So it requires only one USB cable to be connected to the PC's USB port and then the guitar is directly connected to it through the guitar cable and after installing the driver, the effect software and the DAW I'll be able to record the guitar track and no more hassle, right? Thanks for helping.

Honestly, just for recording guitars, you could probably use Audacity. It's free and stupidly easy to use, and it has some basic effects. I wrote an article about when and when not to use it, check that out.
Last edited by Cavalcade at May 21, 2013,
Quote by Cavalcade
The interface replaces your sound card....

I've got another question about the external audio interface. We know that generic computer sound cards have 3 audio ports(line in, mic and line out) and computer speakers are connected to the sound card through TRS connector. Technically the interface is a sound card and it is supposed to require a medium to produce sound(just like a computer sound card needs speaker to produce sound as the output of audio signal). So like a connection between the sound card and speaker through TRS connector, do I need to connect computer speaker to the external audio interface device as well? And as for the DAW, I think I'll give a try for both Reaper and Audacity. Checked out your article just now, it was well written.
Quote by stranger_23
Technically the interface is a sound card and it is supposed to require a medium to produce sound(just like a computer sound card needs speaker to produce sound as the output of audio signal). So like a connection between the sound card and speaker through TRS connector, do I need to connect computer speaker to the external audio interface device as well?

You connect the speakers to the interface instead of the sound card.

Quote by stranger_23
Checked out your article just now, it was well written.

Thanks.

Actually, you'll probably want Reaper instead, since you'll be using amp sims in real time. Audacity can run them, but you'll have to apply them after recording the direct input, which means you won't be able to hear how it sounds with distortion when you record.
Last edited by Cavalcade at May 21, 2013,
Quote by stranger_23

Pretty much yeah
Get reaper, it's cheap ass, and it's very good
If I didn't use Logic (for my university course), I'd be using reaper
Don't touch audacity....just...don't touch it
I've forced friends to uninstall it from their computers as I hate it that much....it deserves to be burnt with fire
Quote by Highelf04
Pretty much yeah....

Thanks for helping me. I've read lots of good reviews regarding using Reaper as the DAW and as it very convenient and supports real time amp simulation so I think it should be used for the recording. Can you suggest any good alternatives in the same price range as Line 6 toneport ux2, just in case if I don't find it in the local music stores? And is there any difference between Line 6 Toneport ux2 and Line 6 POD Studio ux2?
Quote by stranger_23
Thanks for helping me. I've read lots of good reviews regarding using Reaper as the DAW and as it very convenient and supports real time amp simulation so I think it should be used for the recording. Can you suggest any good alternatives in the same price range as Line 6 toneport ux2, just in case if I don't find it in the local music stores? And is there any difference between Line 6 Toneport ux2 and Line 6 POD Studio ux2?

Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, it absolutely FLOORS the UX2 in quality, I would recommend looking for that primarily and have the UX2 as the backup one to look for rather than looking for the UX2 first.
I think the difference the Toneport one is older, and the Pod Studio is newer. No idea if they're any different internally, I would assume they are in which case it's worth getting the newer one.
Quote by chatterbox272
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4....

Will Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 produce much cleaner and noiseless sound than the POD Studio ux2? Have you ever used Focusrite Scarlett 2i4? Is it simple to setup and easy use? Can you please explain the process? Actually I'm new in recording, so I don't know much about this stuffs.
Quote by stranger_23
Will Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 produce much cleaner and noiseless sound than the POD Studio ux2? Have you ever used Focusrite Scarlett 2i4? Is it simple to setup and easy use? Can you please explain the process? Actually I'm new in recording, so I don't know much about this stuffs.

I don't own one, but I've used one before. They're as easy to set up as anything else as far as I know, just plug in and install the driver. Either would be fairly noisless, but the preamps in the 2i4 are much cleaner than the UX2. Only downside (maybe) is the lack of an included amp sim. Which can be offset by installing something like Amplitube Custom Shop (free, with paid extra amps), or ampLion. If you're happy to use something a little more complex to set up (but highly worth it IMO) then you could also use the LePou Amp Sims.
By way of example, the tracks on my profile were all recorded using my UX2 with Guitar Rig 3.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by chatterbox272
I don't own one, but I've used one before....

Thanks a lot. I've been observing majority of the suggestions are going in favor of Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. As the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 has a built-in preamp that ensures much cleaner recording so I'll go for it. Just in case if I don't find it then there is the POD Studio ux2, but just out of the curiosity I'd like to know how about Presonus Audiobox 22vsl?

Quote by ChrisN
By way of example, the tracks on my profile....

Those are some nice playing and beautiful recording you had done. Can you tell me that does amp simulation software like Guitar Rig require a fairly good understanding about the equalizer settings? I've seen people complain about the tone they get and they are suggested to re adjust the EQ to get the desired tone. How difficult is it to learn different EQ settings? Can you explain a bit about Guitar Rig settings?
Tone shaping via ampsims is very similar to doing so in real life. So if you don't know to do that yet and you play guitar, now is as good a time as any to learn.

The post-processing EQ is a little more complicated, but there are lots of youtube videos around that'll help. I suggest the Recording Revolution. Great channel.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Tone shaping via ampsims is very similar to doing so in real life....

I use a Line 6 Floor POD amp modeler that goes to a Marshall MG 15 amp. I've made patches for it that pulls off task for me though they are not relatively very good as the tone of many other players. Obviously MG 15 is not a top notch amp, and the Floor POD is not as equal as Boss GT 100, POD X3, POD XT Live or even POD HD 300. Nevertheless Floor POD is fairly easy to use. If tone shaping in amp simulation is similar to create a tone in a multi-effect processor, I think it'll take less time for me learn the amp simulation software. But the post processing EQ adjustment might take some time. Thank you for mentioning the YouTube channel's name.
Everything was done in Guitar Rig, no extra effects were needed in the DAW until the mastering stage. As ChemicalFire said, it's very similar to real life, all of the amps, cabs and effects are designed to look like real units and you just turn the dials as you would on your amp or pedals. I was always very much against amp sims until I actually discarded everyone else's opinion and just got stuck in. I think I managed to get some very realistic and usable sounds.

It does have a lot of presets of a wide range of genres/styles for you to get an idea of how to create sounds. It's really easy to edit and save your own personal favorites or even build set-ups from scratch.

The bigger learning curve comes with how to mix each of your sounds with all other instruments. For that you would need to do some fairly considerable reading of tutorials and do a decent amount of trial and error testing.
404: Sig not found.