My amp just started having an issue I'll be playing and suddenly the volume jumps to full blast. However it is not the guitar tone it sounds almost like a bad ground. The master volume does nothing to temper the volume. I'm running a pod hd400 in to the power section of an older b-52 tube amp. I assume it can't be a power tube issue as that would logically lower the volume, a preamp tube it wouldn't seem could increase the volume this drastically. After leaving the amp off for a few minutes I can okay again. Sometimes the problem reoccurs in a few minuted sometimes I'll play for an hour with out issue. Does anyone know what the issue maybe?
That sounds like a bad pot or bad solder on a pot ... if a volume pot loses its ground you'll be at full volume ...

If the master volume is in the circuit after the power amp in (master volume controls the volume of the power amp) that's where I'd look ...
Quote by rock_mumbles
That sounds like a bad pot or bad solder on a pot ... if a volume pot loses its ground you'll be at full volume ...

If the master volume is in the circuit after the power amp in (master volume controls the volume of the power amp) that's where I'd look ...

x2. Probably a cold\cracked solder joint. Could be a pot, although touching it typically takes care of the problem for a few minutes.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.