Basset_hound
21 IQ
Yo, I just bought myself a new guitar, well an old guitar actually, the store owner always has all these old guitars hanging on the ceiling and he finally decided to sell them so I bought the coolest looking one which is also the oldest of them all for about 250 euro's, so aound 500$ It still sounds great! Perfect for blues, I just need to replace 2 of the tuning pegs.

This guitar was made 1937 but it does not say any brand or nothing. Does anyone know exactly what kind of guitar this is?
The colors are a bit less vivid then on the picture, its more a kind of a brown sepia tone then red one.
Attachments:
Guitar.jpg
stealthpumpkin
38 IQ
That my friend looks like a Kay guitar, it's a United States brand that was popular back in the olden days. I know because my grandfather gave me a guitar that has the exact same body shape and style. They have a very thin base, but high trebles.

IF your bottom part was rusted out like mine, take it, and saturate it in a derusting solution, i think i used iron-out or something like that. Let it soak for a good 20-30 minutes, then take a sander (low grit) and sand it down once lightly. Then take a high grit and buff out any remainder, it will also give it a brushed steel look. Alternatively use steel wool.

I would also recommend removing that pick guard, it's not supposed to be there, you can tell. These guitars have a varnish finish which makes them almost impossible to scratch, give it a layer of wax or polyurethane if you're really concerned about that; but this is a classical guitar, not something you would use a pick on normally.

I would also recommend using lighter tension strings, if yours is like mine, it has no truss rod, I'm using Elixer Custom lights right now, but that's a classical guitar, so you can easily go with high tension for the nylons.

Happy playing; the company is out of business, and that is a year before serial numbers were really used so you probably won't get an exact model number.
Basset_hound
21 IQ
Quote by stealthpumpkin
That my friend looks like a Kay guitar, it's a United States brand that was popular back in the olden days. I know because my grandfather gave me a guitar that has the exact same body shape and style. They have a very thin base, but high trebles.

IF your bottom part was rusted out like mine, take it, and saturate it in a derusting solution, i think i used iron-out or something like that. Let it soak for a good 20-30 minutes, then take a sander (low grit) and sand it down once lightly. Then take a high grit and buff out any remainder, it will also give it a brushed steel look. Alternatively use steel wool.

I would also recommend removing that pick guard, it's not supposed to be there, you can tell. These guitars have a varnish finish which makes them almost impossible to scratch, give it a layer of wax or polyurethane if you're really concerned about that; but this is a classical guitar, not something you would use a pick on normally.

I would also recommend using lighter tension strings, if yours is like mine, it has no truss rod, I'm using Elixer Custom lights right now, but that's a classical guitar, so you can easily go with high tension for the nylons.

Happy playing; the company is out of business, and that is a year before serial numbers were really used so you probably won't get an exact model number.

Hey thanks for all the advice!
Are you sure its a Kay? I noticed on all other kays that they do have a kay logo on the head. This one doesnt have it and I still can't find a picture of a guitar that is exactly the same as this one when I look for kay guitars.
stealthpumpkin
38 IQ
Quote by Basset_hound
Hey thanks for all the advice!
Are you sure its a Kay? I noticed on all other kays that they do have a kay logo on the head. This one doesnt have it and I still can't find a picture of a guitar that is exactly the same as this one when I look for kay guitars.

Kay guitars were allowed to be customized in terms of colour, but that F-hole is a key signature of Kay; I haven't seen another that looks like it. The headstock is actually nailed in on the models like yours and mine. The nails are about 1cm long and only maybe 1-2mm thick. The headstock is very flat, and alluminum and can easily be removed. If you'd like, i can take a picture of mine, it's a 1940s kay steel string.

BTW, that pickguard looks like someone put it on manually, don't know if i mentioned that before, nylon strings don't need a pick guard.
Last edited by stealthpumpkin at May 22, 2013,
snakestretcher
12 IQ
Quote by stealthpumpkin
Kay guitars were allowed to be customized in terms of colour, but that F-hole is a key signature of Kay; I haven't seen another that looks like it. The headstock is actually nailed in on the models like yours and mine. The nails are about 1cm long and only maybe 1-2mm thick. The headstock is very flat, and alluminum and can easily be removed. If you'd like, i can take a picture of mine, it's a 1940s kay steel string.

BTW, that pickguard looks like someone put it on manually, don't know if i mentioned that before, nylon strings don't need a pick guard.

Flamenco guitars (nylon strung) often have a 'golpeador' pickguard to protect the top from the aggressive and percussive techniques used.
Basset_hound
21 IQ
Quote by stealthpumpkin

Hey thanks for all the info!
Yeah it would nice to see a picture of your guitar