I've recently started trying to put some depth to some older songs I have floating around, generally turned out better, yet sounded like a completely different song all together minus small sections that are either the same or resemble what it use to be like.

I was wondering if anybody else randomly does the same every now and then, and if so how you's go about doing it?(I sometimes find it difficult to UN-hear the old version hahah)

For me it's more adjusting the rhythms a bit to have some life to them, and I may throw in tonal ideas every now and then but not as much.
I do this quite a bit actually! at least when I'm having a hard time getting my inspiration going and that can help. Often it's a verse or a chorus riff/section that I haven't been able to fit with anything at that time but that fits with something new I've written. Changing rhythms as you say is also something that I do quite a lot.
I do this all the time. I actually have taken old songs I was unhappy with, taken the riffs that made me happy, and then later used those riffs in other songs. A lot of my songs have a progressive feel to them, so it sort of works for me.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I do this all the time. I actually have taken old songs I was unhappy with, taken the riffs that made me happy, and then later used those riffs in other songs. A lot of my songs have a progressive feel to them, so it sort of works for me.

Whoa man, judging by your influences on your profile, I'd love to hear some of your stuff, and my songs were somewhat progressive too, they just didn't have that rhythmical depth before hand and seemed dull, so taking to them the second time definitely took it further in the intended direction.
Quote by Zerath
I do this quite a bit actually! at least when I'm having a hard time getting my inspiration going and that can help. Often it's a verse or a chorus riff/section that I haven't been able to fit with anything at that time but that fits with something new I've written. Changing rhythms as you say is also something that I do quite a lot.

I guess when you can't get inspired to write a new song all together it shouldn't be such a bad idea to make an older song or parts of it that bit more substantial as a whole, I seem to be coming up with much better ideas then what the originals were every time haha
What helps me out is listening to new music. If It's good, I discovered something cool I like I can draw from. If it's bad, I get in a "I can do better than THAT shit" attitude and it also helps.