So a buddy of mine came over to jam about a month ago and shows me this wicked riff he had, we ended up fleshing it out into a full song over the course of the day, it definitely leans into the heavier territory although I don't even know what I would call it beyond "Heavy Metal". Starts with some odd time signature harmonies in fifths, moves into a thrashy galloping solo, then a midsection that turns into another solo, ending with some chord stabs and my best Yngwie impression. I'm quite proud of it, I think it's a cool song. Been working on it on and off for about a month trying to get the mix perfect and program drums. As far as sound fidelity, this is easily the clearest and closest to professional sounding thing I have recorded yet.

It's just me on all the lead/rhythm guitars and bass on this track, the buddy that thought the riff up wasn't around and thought the recording was good enough to leave as is. The solos are mostly improvised, I just did a few takes and kind of jammed around with it. First solo is take 4, the second solo is take 3.

So yeah, bash away and tell me how to make it even better! I will C4C!

https://soundcloud.com/cloudsofgrass/neutron-star

I think maybe the snare might be a bit loud? And the drums maybe aren't 100% all the way there yet, there's a few places I might change with respect to hi-hats and fills.

Oh yeah, the song is called "Neutron Star". Pretty cool thing to read about on wikipedia or something, they are a stellar remnant formed after a star has gone supernova, the star will compress in on it self down to the very atoms and create a form of matter so dense and heavy (get it? ) that it's gravitational force even refracts light, making it possible to be on one side of one and be able to see part of the backside. Apparently "a teaspoon full" would weigh something like 200, 000, 000, 000 kg.
Last edited by CloudsofGrass at May 21, 2013,
Holy jesus, epic jam!

The guitar tone seems a bit weak, sounds like a single coil guitar? The mix is quite spot on, but the drums lack a bit of OOMPH as well, I don't think the snare is too loud at all! Maybe a spot of reverb on the drums?

The SONG is awesome, I like it. Mad skills on the guitar!

Take a listen to my track?

All Dressed Up
Quote by katphish
Holy jesus, epic jam!

The guitar tone seems a bit weak, sounds like a single coil guitar? The mix is quite spot on, but the drums lack a bit of OOMPH as well, I don't think the snare is too loud at all! Maybe a spot of reverb on the drums?

The SONG is awesome, I like it. Mad skills on the guitar!

Take a listen to my track?

All Dressed Up

Thank you very much!! I'm surprised you could tell that it was single coils, all the guitars were recorded with my bone stock USA Standard Strat. I have guitars that might be more comfortable or might play a little better, but whenever I record it's pretty much my default go-to guitar. I suppose it's not really suited for super heavy rhythm guitars but I love the string to string definition, and tone up high for solos has a lot of harmonic overtone content because of the massive ass neckjoint that Strats have.

I agree that the drums could use some more punch, I maybe squished the master bus a bit too hard.

Thanks for your comment & compliments, I'll check out your song ASAP but I have a dr.'s appt. in 20 minutes, will post C4C in an hour or two.
I agree with the comment above on the drums and guitar tone. What VSTi are you using for the drums? The mix sounded 'boxed' and the mids overwhelmed my ears. Maybe scooping some mids around 400 Hz might open the mix up. I'm not a fan of metal but I enjoyed the riffs and the time signature changes. They made this piece unique. And you're an awesome guitarist
The information you put was a fun read. I love space
C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1602456
I immediately loved the twangy distorted tone you get in the intro. The leads have all the sounds of a Fender Strat for sure. The unusual harmonies were enticing, and the little changes here and there were cool. Drums had a very crisp, attack oriented sound to them. Maybe could've used a little more flair on the drums? Who know. I liked it though. Not GREAT, but still pretty damn good.

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1602314

Any of the top 3 is preferred, sir.
Yeah, you got some Yngwie going on there!
You got a pretty good lead guitar tone, are you using a tube amp?
You mentioned that you think that the snare drum is too loud, but I don't think the snare drum is too loud. However, maybe try using a different snare drum sound? I'm not a drummer, so I can't really explain it. The programming itself is pretty solid, but maybe try using a different snare sample? A snare with a little bigger/rounder sound is the best that I can explain it as a non-drummer myself.
Overall, it's really solid!!
Can you go to my thread and leave a comment there (speaking of Yngwie): https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1584084
Sounds great man

Love the tone

The only criticism I have is to work on the bending accuracy and vibrato a bit more
Killer guitar playing dude!

I'm by no means an expert, but there were a few parts where it sounded like the rhythm guitars drowned out the lead juts a tad bit. I tend to lean towards louder leads though, which probably isn't the norm. The time changes were pretty crazy which was cool, and I also really enjoyed the parts where the rhythm dropped out and you had some crazy bends goin on a capella -- it added a lot of variety.

Great job! Keep up the good work my man! \m/
Solid track man For some reason it reminded me of the Golden Axe music on the old Sega :P The soloing could be tidied up a bit but the actual tone used for the solo is definately a leaf out of Yngwie's book. I can't really comment on the drums seeing as they sound better than the ones I use for my tracks :P

Overall it's definately an awesome track you got going there, made me listen to it more than once, so good job.

here's my thread if you wanted to check it out. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1603586
Quote by mattmakaha

You got a pretty good lead guitar tone, are you using a tube amp?

Nope, DI into Cubase on the leads. Used "Magix Vandal" amp sim, Redwirez cabinet impulses, and Kjaerhaus Audio (is that how it's spelled?) "Classic Delay" set for about 17ms, low feedback, and the delay is mixed almost as loud as the original signal. The delay thing is my favorite trick for getting that Van Halen 1 kind of lead tone.
Quote by Silky Smooth
The only criticism I have is to work on the bending accuracy and vibrato a bit more

Yeah, some of the bends are a little sloppy. And I gotta throw some .008's back on my guitars to make the vibrato a little more intense.
Quote by Emraj

I'm by no means an expert, but there were a few parts where it sounded like the rhythm guitars drowned out the lead juts a tad bit.

You mean during the second solo? That's been bugging me as well a bit. Almost worthy of a remix, it could use some volume automation to bring a few licks up in the mix a bit.
Last edited by CloudsofGrass at Jun 2, 2013,
Very nice! My own preference in tone is wanting more gain on the guitars and a bit more oomph to the overall mix. Your mixing is quite good, pretty balanced, though the lead guitar is a bit high in the mix, but since that's the focus of the song it's not that much of an issue. You need more reverb to the drums overall, it's very raw. Unless of course you're going for the more old school death metal type tonality, in that case it's spot on. The song itself is pretty cool! Very good lead work, beats the heck out of my own lol

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1603807
Music must be honest to be timeless.