Long time no post...College has a way of pushing my guitar playing (and just about everything that comes along with it) aside...

But anyways! Feast your eyes on the biggest impulse purchase of my musical career:

If y'all want a quick story:

Ever since I went to college, I haven't had an amp to play—the JCM-800 is too big... So in the time that I had to dabble in guitar while in college, I only had a very mediocre Ibanez acoustic to play. Needless to say, this was disappointing. I'm an electric guitarist, not an acoustic one.

So when I come home for the summer, one of my buddies asks me to go with him to a local music store to pick out an amp. He wants to try and get decent at guitar this summer. Turns out, this new store started selling Blackstar products this year. My friend was looking at a max of $120, but after playing the Blackstar HT-1 with a standard Tele, not only had I convinced him to get it, but I had some money to burn from writing blogs. So I bought it! $263 or something like that after tax.

Quick review:

It sounds incredible. Rarely do I get to crank a tube amp—and though it's not "fully tube"—it sounds, responds, and feels just like one. If you use the distortion option, it can get a little to sterile. But I've got my volume cranked and the gain up to about 1 or 2 o'clock on the "clean" setting. Dialing down the volume pots on my guitar creates a very lovely and responsive pre-od sizzle. Digging in brings the distortion out even quicker.

I intend to study a bit of music next year in school up in NY and I have a band/project thing lined up. So this will be great for some lo-key recordings (my Shure SM-57 will be perfect for micing) and apartment jamming. My college has a wonderful collection of vintage amps and what not, so I'll leave my JCM-800 down in NC for now...

Bottom line—great addition; couldn't have this as my only amp, but for my purposes, it's perfect.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

I also own a blackstar ht-1. Couldn't be happier. Best amp for bedroom use.
Quote by dekic_mkd
I also own a blackstar ht-1. Couldn't be happier. Best amp for bedroom use.

And it's bigger brothers hold their own on stage too, HNAD!
Silverburst
Possibly just ordered one of these. Maybe. Played one a good year ago when I wasn't looking for an amp and was very pleasantly surprised by the sound quality for such a small inexpensive unit.
Quote by jameswilddev
Possibly just ordered one of these. Maybe. Played one a good year ago when I wasn't looking for an amp and was very pleasantly surprised by the sound quality for such a small inexpensive unit.

For what you get (for what you pay) I can't imagine anyone being unhappy with their purchase. I say go for it!
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Sorry for the slight bump, but mine arrived this morning! Pleasantly surprised by the volume, quite like playing rhythm on it, favour the USA side of the ISF. The first step I am sure, on the road to tube glory.

Last edited by jameswilddev at May 25, 2013,