Hi, i'm thinking about buying a guitar the would fit the playstyles of both metallica and slash kind of music.

Its my first electric guitar, but i have already played classic guitar for 2 years and bass for about a year so im not really new to this.

My budget is at about 300€ (euros, not dollars because im in portugal) and i've already saw good amps such as Peavey Vypyr 15W or a Line 6 Spider IV for about 90€, wich leaves me with about 200€ for a guitar.

I like the epiphone les paul standard wich i may get for 200€ but its not really sure yet so i'd like you to tell me wich guitars in the 200€ price range are good to play Slash and Metallica music style.

Oh and one thing i forgot, im buying the amp and the guitar used, so it's cheaper.

Thanks in advance for any positive reply
The Vyper is okay the Spider is shit.

Get the Epiphone Les Paul Standard, it's a good, solid guitar.

Don't get the Spider.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Mephaphil
The Vyper is okay the Spider is shit.

Get the Epiphone Les Paul Standard, it's a good, solid guitar.

Don't get the Spider.

Yeah i really want the epiphone les paul standard, but the point of this thread was to see wich other guitars would fit Slash and Metallica styles, just in case i can't get a epiphone les paul standard
Quote by sickenz
Yeah i really want the epiphone les paul standard, but the point of this thread was to see wich other guitars would fit Slash and Metallica styles, just in case i can't get a epiphone les paul standard

I started playing Electric Guitar about 6 years ago with a Epiphone Les Paul Special II and it was a great budget guitar for almost every genre.

You can't go wrong with the Epiphones
Quote by TTeddybear
I started playing Electric Guitar about 6 years ago with a Epiphone Les Paul Special II and it was a great budget guitar for almost every genre.

You can't go wrong with the Epiphones

What about a Epiphone Les Paul 100 HS ?
Quote by lilke
The LP 100's seem to be known for their low build quality.

Oh okay then, thanks for the head's up

What about a Yamaha Pacifica 112 or some cheap LTD ?
The Pacifica is a good guitar and will be okay for Metallica but it's completely inappropriate for Slash.

LTD make lots of nice guitars and lots of not very good ones. The 256, 350, 351, 400 and 401 models tend to be pretty good for the price.
There's no real difference in quality between Epiphone and LTD, by the way. Different styling and different-feeling necks, but they're made to the same standard. The main thing you'll notice with LTD is their bodies and necks are thinner so you get a brighter sound compared to an Epiphone which have thicker bodies and necks.

For amps, the Vypyr is decent; Spider is terrible.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
+1 for Vypyr instead of Spidey. Also as MrFlibble mentioned, if you prefer thinner necks go for LTD. Since you mentioned Metallica Explorers are obvious choice.
http://www.thomann.de/fi/espltd_ex50bk.htm

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I second the Ltd Explorer. Altho I gotta say Metallica (ie Hetfield and Hammett) have a different style to Slash, and that thus the Epiphone is a top suggestion. You will end up with a great guitar perfect for Guns N Roses, while still capable of being used for some hard rock / metal applications.
Schecter Blackjack SLS C-7
Les Paul Studio with Nailbomb / Black Dog BK pups
Razorback Blades V
Axe-FX Ultra
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Ableton Live 8 with Nexus, Komplete 6, Predator, Sylenth
Numark NS7FX
Okay thanks i'll probably get a Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Pro Sunburst, although it only says Epiphone Les Paul Model, and then on that small black sign it says Les Paul Standard, so im not sure if it's really a Plus Pro os just a Standard. As for the amp i managed to make a good deal and instead of a 15W Vypyr i'll get a 30W

BTW any tips on setting the amp for slash or metallica sounds ?
Heh lots of gain for Metallica have a play with it, you'll figure it out.

If you're after tones for specific genres I highly recommend checking out the Line 6 range of POD HD digital multi-effects pedals to compliment your rig. I have a couple of friends with them, for the price they sound like a million bucks. Metallica-esque sounds, ballsy hard rock tones similar to Slash, sounds for metal, rock and most other genres. One of these will go a LONG way towards getting the sound you want. I highly recommend the POD HD500 which is reasonably priced, however if it's out of your price range maybe try the POD HD300. Dunno how much the Vypr is, I'm tempted to recommend going with a Roland Cube amp and getting the POD HD if it makes things cheaper. You should be able to get a good price online too.

Hope that helps. I remember what it was like being a younger player striving for certain tone. There's a lot of great gear out there at the moment so take your time and do the research before buying. Oh and don't let the guitar store salesmen sucker you in, go in with someone who knows their stuff and how to get good prices.
Razorback Blades V
Axe-FX Ultra
Numark NS7FX
^Sticking a modelling unit on top of a modelling amp is pointless.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble

+1 the vypyr has anything a beginner would need as far as effects go. It will keep you happy for a while.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well i'll spend about 110€ on a semi used vypyr 30W so it's great for the price, because a new one costs 220€. As for the guitar im buying it semi used too, and i just love the cherry paint on it, but my doubt is if it's really a Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Pro like the owner says or if it's just a regular Epiphone Les Paul Standard, because on the top of the guitar, on that small black thing it says Standard instead of Standard Pro as a Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Pro would say
Quote by MrFlibble

The Roland Cube is not a modeling amp. Okay it is a modeling amp, but to be honest in my opinion the amp models sound terrible. Nonetheless it is a reliable and cheap amp, and is also loved by many keyboardists I've met. The Line 6 POD HD500 is arguably the best value multi effects and amp modeling unit on the market. And that's coming from a guy with an Axe FX. If you can find a better, cheaper amp (not always easy depending on where you live) then I agree. Otherwise it makes plenty of sense.

Haven't heard the Vypr amps before, what's the consensus?
Razorback Blades V
Axe-FX Ultra
Numark NS7FX
Quote by Simple Jack

Haven't heard the Vypr amps before, what's the consensus?

I have the Peavey Vypyr 100, and now wish I had gotten the Vypyr 120 (with actual tubes). I personally really like the Spider Valve series (with tubes), but they are overpriced.

The Vypyrs definitely have a better tone than the Spiders. The PROBLEM with the Peavey Vypyrs is the Effin Noise Gate!!! It's locked in place and not adjustable. Becomes a real pain for a lot of things like Santana, some blues and Jazz... Anything you roll the volume off and play low just gets cut off.

I saw that there is a new version of the Vypyr out now, I'd seriously consider it instead of the Spider Valve if the Noise Gate is adjustable or simply GONE!!
PRS SE Santana - Santana III Bass/Treble
ESP LTD EC400vf - Gibson Zebra 496R/500T
AXL Badwater SRO - GFS OW Liverpool, SD Duckbucker, SD JB
Mitchell Acoustic MD100SCE
Peavey Vypyr 100
Last edited by RedJamaX at Jun 5, 2013,
Quote by sickenz
Hi, i'm thinking about buying a guitar the would fit the playstyles of both metallica and slash kind of music.

Ok, so I have a Peavey Vypyr 100 that I really like, and I can pull off GnR tones as well as Metallica tones almost perfectly... but not on the same guitar. If you are really close to one, you will not be so close to the other. But a modelling amp will definitely get you closer.

What you could do... is get a High Output Ceramic Magnet (Duncan Distortion or Gibson 500T) Pup for the Bridge, and a Med-High Output Alnico for the Neck (Screamin' Demon, Custom Custom, or Gibson 490R... almost forgot, Duncan Alnico II Pro Slash Model). With that config the bridge would get you the Metallica tones you want and the Neck could easily give you some good solo tones close enough to the Slash tone to get you close to both of them.

Given your current budget, go play the LTD and The Ephiphone to see which one "feels" better, then change the pups later. Also, in my experience with any LTD model under model number 400, the pups are really not great... but with the Epi, it will work for now, and later you could get away with changing the bridge only and still get closer to the different tones you want.
PRS SE Santana - Santana III Bass/Treble
ESP LTD EC400vf - Gibson Zebra 496R/500T
AXL Badwater SRO - GFS OW Liverpool, SD Duckbucker, SD JB
Mitchell Acoustic MD100SCE
Peavey Vypyr 100
Last edited by RedJamaX at Jun 5, 2013,
^ this makes a lot of sense ^
Razorback Blades V
Axe-FX Ultra