hi guys i have a question on polyrhythms.

what is a polyrhythm?

is it when a rhythm in 3/4 takes the same time to complete as a rhythm in 4/4? which i think would mean they are running in different tempos.

OR

is it when a rhythm in 3/4 and a rhythm in 4/4 are playing alongside at the same tempo, so the start points would coincide every few rounds?

or is it both?
Same tempo, meaning that 4 bars of 3/4 would match 3 bars of 4/4.

You could play in different tempos, but I don't think that would sound particularly good.
Your flesh means more than you.
No profit...
For once no profit...

Quote by She
That's what.

CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
I'd believe that polyrhythm is for example triplet eight notes over regular eight notes. 3/4 and 4/4 same time and starting points overlapping each other every few bars would be polymeter. I might be wrong though
Quote by Aukustus
I'd believe that polyrhythm is for example triplet eight notes over regular eight notes. 3/4 and 4/4 same time and starting points overlapping each other every few bars would be polymeter. I might be wrong though

Yeah, you're right. I think TS (and myself) confused the two there.
Your flesh means more than you.
No profit...
For once no profit...

Quote by She
That's what.

CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
Quote by Aukustus

Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Right^
And TS remember it's not so much that there are different time signatures being played over each other, but rather an IMPLIED time. A composing would not write 4/4 and then make a note above saying "play in 3/4 over this" Rather it's notated in a way to show that a metric change occurs, but the steady beat is still the same.

HERES SOMETHING YOU CAN TRY AT HOME, KIDS
I'll try to explain quickly with something you can do with 2 hands. Though 3 over 2 and 2 over 3 technically isn't a polyrhythm (don't make me get into semantics, just roll with it)... Tap this rhythm with your hands on your knees until you get it to flow nicely (L and R represent your left and right hands respectively. L+R means both hands together):
L+R........L.........R...........L
Quarter, Eighth Eighth, Quarter

Once you get the hang of it, Nod on "1" where your hands are hitting together. This is your macro beat. The big beat.
Now remove your Right hand but still accent "1" You should be hitting 3 times for every "1" that occurs.
Go back to both hands for a little then remove your Left hand. Now you should be hitting 2 times for every "1." (I'm putting "1" in quotations because it's important to note that theres no set time in this exercise).

What application does this have? Well if you're thinking in 2 (your right hand), your left hand is playing perfect triplets (not the dotted-eighth, dotted-eighth, eighth pattern that many people fall into when playing triplets)
If you're thinking in 3, then your right hand is playing perfect duplets (in the case of a meter like 6/8) or dotted-quarter notes (in the case of 3/4).

Theres ways to rationalize other polyrhythms but I need to go to work now and odnt have time to write up exercises for 4 over 5 and others but naturally, the rhythms used to break them down get more complicated.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol