Hello all,

I'm going to moving to japan in a few months and looking to get a bit of work on the side playing music. Any tips/advice on what I should be looking to do? The work doesn't really phase me - so covers bands/tribute bands/solo acoustic stuff/guitarist for hire - whatever will get me gigging. But really don't know where to look for opportunities!

Fanx!
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub
Quote by deadkenedy

Hey guys, I'm moving to Japan to play guitar but I don't know anywhere in Japan to play guitar.

Fanx!

Sounds like a stupid plan, TS.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Good luck getting any cash for playing in Japan unless you're super (like jazz/session recording) good , fluent in Japanese and living in Tokyo. If you fit these criteria then hit up open jam nights all around the place and make some contacts. If you keep making contacts you might find the odd thing.

Alternatively, if you are a good promoter it is easy to create an event, fill it with 8 bands, hire a live house and get paid as the promoter. That is what I have to do, but I don't have a lot of time for it, and I don't make a lot of money from it.

If you are in it for the fun of it and don't mind being in the red, find a band. Go to practice studios and music shops. They usually have a notice board for 'wanted' ads. Good luck if you can't read Japanese. You can also take out ads in the local gaijin rags, sometimes for free, or search for Facebook groups in English of the city you're in.

Good luck!
Idk, I've noticed at a lot of club/indoor shows it's a BUNCH of glow sticks, you'd have to ask local bands how to get gigs, I really have no idea how it works over there.
Giggling in Japan

Konichi-teehee-wa
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Quote by JustRooster
Sounds like a stupid plan, TS.

Pretty sure I said play music on the side, I'm not going there to play. But I'll make it clear for you....

I am moving to japan in a few months for work (in a job that does not involve music) and would like to play music while I am over there (because I enjoy it, not so I can survive), however being paid for it would be preferable (cos that's always nice).

Thanks for the advice anyway.
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub