Ok so to start with, no guitar store next to me , no hardware store next to me.

My guitar is due cleaning/ restringing/setting up baddly.

What i have :
http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/micro-fine-65-fret-polishing-cloth
Steel wool ( unsure of grade, could be 0000, could be a zillion , nothing written on it )
Alcohol swabs
Dunlop lemon oil

Ok so, if the steel wool was 0000 grade, id have gone through with it, and tada, but since i'm unsure, not sure of consequences if it wasn't fine grade.
I've seen on YT , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSOdKrYQWec , alcohol to clean, lemon oil to condition.
the micro 65 cloth , not sure what this is even used for ( the steel fret thingies, or the board itself )

Advice/ opinions ? My next drive to a diff city where i can get different supplies a month from now. I'm inclined to the alcohol swab for cleaning, but then i read that it would dry my fretboard out.

P,s - Fretboard = rosewood
Last edited by weirdzaid at May 22, 2013,
Keep solvents (except for naptha) off your guitar if it has a lacquer finish. If it's polyester or polyurethane, have at it.

Steel wool (the 0000) variety can be use to polish the frets, but keep it off the fretboard. Keep the little bits out of your pickup coils as well, or you'll have problems with your pickups down the line. Blue painter tape to cover them completely is a good idea.

You can probably find a straightedge razor blade around somewhere -- if you have a LOT of crud built up, you can use one as a scraper (keep the blade at a 90 degree angle to the fretboard or you'll end up slicing your fretboard).

Once you're all done with the cleaning, put just a few drops of the lemon oil (it's actually mostly mineral oil, so you really don't have to bother buying expensive stuff when it runs out) on the fretboard, wipe it on, wait about 10 minutes and wipe it off. Do NOT get the bright idea to "let it soak in." You don't have to allow it to "penetrate deep" or any of that nonesense (it would leech right back out again and ruin a nice set of new strings).
I just use an old pick to scrape the goop off and then wipe it down with Dr Ducks Axe Wax.
Quote by dspellman
Keep solvents (except for naptha) off your guitar if it has a lacquer finish. If it's polyester or polyurethane, have at it.

Steel wool (the 0000) variety can be use to polish the frets, but keep it off the fretboard.
Keep the little bits out of your pickup coils as well, or you'll have problems with your pickups down the line. Blue painter tape to cover them completely is a good idea.

You can probably find a straightedge razor blade around somewhere -- if you have a LOT of crud built up, you can use one as a scraper (keep the blade at a 90 degree angle to the fretboard or you'll end up slicing your fretboard).

Once you're all done with the cleaning, put just a few drops of the lemon oil (it's actually mostly mineral oil, so you really don't have to bother buying expensive stuff when it runs out) on the fretboard, wipe it on, wait about 10 minutes and wipe it off. Do NOT get the bright idea to "let it soak in." You don't have to allow it to "penetrate deep" or any of that nonesense (it would leech right back out again and ruin a nice set of new strings).

All of this. I might suggest using a guitar pick instead of a razor blade (like Dazza said) just to avoid any accidents with gouging.