Emorak
58 IQ
I recently purchased a Jackson RR5 for a low £345 (in immaculate condition, I might add :3), the only thing it was missing was a term arm so I purchased one off eBay. With the arm fully tightened it spins wildly, making any quick bar techniques difficult and sloppy.

What's the best way to lock the arm? If I tighten it and hold the bar a little higher than the lowest point, it locks, but with a huge gap.

Guitar: http://i.imgur.com/rChnqzu.jpg

Arm locked: http://i.imgur.com/LVeEUqB.jpg

I've also tried the tape method, my nut at the back is tightened and even tried the spring method, to no success D:
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
440 IQ
nice score

did you buy the correct arm? not all arms will fit all trems.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Emorak
58 IQ
Quote by darkwolf291
It's MADE to do that....

I know that, however you can tighten it so that it stops spinning and stays at the same position.

That's what I'm looking to do
Emorak
58 IQ
Quote by Dave_Mc
nice score

did you buy the correct arm? not all arms will fit all trems.

The arm itself slots all the way in and tightens nicely, so I assume so D:

I'm not a huge Floyd person, love them when they're set up, hate them when something's not right however the RR5 was a steal so had to have it
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
440 IQ
^ but the wee collar doesn't lock? that's what it looks like in the pic.

looks like you bought the wrong arm for your trem, but i could be wrong. the RR5 has an FRT-x000, right? an OFR arm (far as i'm aware, don't quote me on that) should fit ok, i think. I know flibble says that the frt-x000 arm fits the ofr better than its own arm (and vice-versa), lol, but i haven't tried it myself.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Emorak
58 IQ
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ but the wee collar doesn't lock? that's what it looks like in the pic.

looks like you bought the wrong arm for your trem, but i could be wrong. the RR5 has an FRT-x000, right? an OFR arm (far as i'm aware, don't quote me on that) should fit ok, i think. I know flibble says that the frt-x000 arm fits the ofr better than its own arm (and vice-versa), lol, but i haven't tried it myself.

It'll sit all the way down, that's what I have to turn it to to lock the arm and stop it from spinning. But if I raise the bar it slots out (only happened once, don't wish to damage the thread aha)

At least I know the bridge now, so I can experiment either way haha thanks!
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
440 IQ
ah ok

i dunno

but yeah as you said if you know the model of the trem you should be able to get a replacement, worst case scenario
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Lol Natures
resU deretsigeR
40 IQ
1: Take the arm with you to a hardware store.
2: Go to whatever section that has rubber gaskets
3: Test a bunch of them on the arm. When you find one that fits, get a couple of them.
4: Go home
5: Starting with one, screw the arm back on and test it's floppiness. If not floppy, problem solved. If still floppy, see step 6
6: Add another and go back to step 5.
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser
30 IQ
Wrap a piece of paper around the part of the arm that goes into the bridge. It will fill the little gap between the arm and the hole on the floyd where you put it in. That way the arm won't be able to move and it will stay in one position. This method surely works, I've done it few times on my guitar.
Emorak
58 IQ
Quote by JackovSlayer
Wrap a piece of paper around the part of the arm that goes into the bridge. It will fill the little gap between the arm and the hole on the floyd where you put it in. That way the arm won't be able to move and it will stay in one position. This method surely works, I've done it few times on my guitar.

Thanks man, worked a charm!
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
240 IQ
Sounds to me like you have an out of spec arm (or trem) - or the wrong one. Shimming it with paper will get you out of trouble for a while but 'twer I you I'd take the guitar down to a store and find one that actually fits properly.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
440 IQ
^ yeah, that's what i'm talking about. I mean a trem arm costs, what, £15? Absolute maximum.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Daveyy666
10 IQ
Alternatively don't buy anything with a floyd rose on it
Gear:
Epiphone SG Emily The Strange
Peavey Vypyr 75 with modded bat wing
Peavey Sanpera I
Ibanez AF-AF55
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
440 IQ
i think he might need a flux capacitor for that solution to work.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser
30 IQ
Quote by Emorak
Thanks man, worked a charm!

You're welcome, I'm always glad to help!
Emorak
58 IQ
Quote by Daveyy666
Alternatively don't buy anything with a floyd rose on it

That's why my LTD Ex-50 has a set of 12's on it and a Tune-o-matic

The Floyd is for when I don't want to hassle with drop tunings.

Also, the paper trick works temporarily before it coils up/shreds. Will try the other methods out
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser
30 IQ
Quote by Emorak
Also, the paper trick works temporarily before it coils up/shreds. Will try the other methods out

Changing a piece of paper shouldn't be too hard.