I recently broke my picking hand and haven't played in some time. now that the break has healed, i've been attempting to play again and try to get my chops back, except I have one problem. I am no longer able to grip the guitar pick size of my choice due to lack of bone structure in the thumb. I normally played a .73mm tortex. I can hold on to the .88 alright and I can go higher, but i've always picked a little harder and I use 10-46 string gauge, so playing with a thicker pick requires me to play with a lighter touch and that's just not part of my aggressive sound that I've developed over the years. I know that I may have to go to a thicker pick, but want to try to avoid that. are there any picks that have a thicker grip and a thinner tip? like could i get a pick that tapers from .88 to .73?
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

why cant you pick as hard witrh a thicker pick?
i use a a 2mm thick pick and couls still pick as hard asi want having said that
yu could make your own picks
i like em hard and have used broken vynils
work pretty welland the grooves on the side make a cool scratchy sound on the thin strings and if i angle it right i can get a bow like sound that is bowing(correct word) uicklie

i apologize if thats not ver coherent
am drunk
You may want to take a look at V-picks
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You just have to be patient. A broken bone takes a long time to get back to 100%. Your muscles and tendons are also compensating for the change in posture, which can weaken your thumb.

On the other hand (pun intended), using new picks and trying new techniques are almost always a good thing.
Arguing on the Internet is a lot like being in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded
Why would you play lighter if you want an aggressive sound? If you want an aggressive sound, you get a heavy pick and play hard. A lot of energy is lost in the flex of lighter picks so you're not getting a really aggressive sound.
He's trying to compensate for injury. Sometimes you just have to do it. I had to change my entire technique after breaking my left wrist.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 23, 2013,
Quote by JELIFISH19
Why would you play lighter if you want an aggressive sound? If you want an aggressive sound, you get a heavy pick and play hard. A lot of energy is lost in the flex of lighter picks so you're not getting a really aggressive sound.

Because I pick so hard that thicker picks tend to throw my strings out of tune when I strum. That's how hard I pick. That's why I prefer a lighter pick. I practically punch my guitar, I was in a cast when I first learned to play and it's something that stuck with me.

Quote by Cathbard
You may want to take a look at V-picks

I'll check them out. Thanks.

Last edited by kurt_cobain9 at May 23, 2013,
+1 on the V-picks. Look at their psycho model, despite being incredibly thick it's really easy to hold onto and play with. The sheer size of it means it's louder, hits the strings harder and sounds more aggressive. It's been my number 1 from the day I bought it.

http://v-picks.com/productdetails.php?q=37

If you do decide to go V-picks and their thicker "premium" models, go with a rounded edge one, the sharp ones don't work as well and aren't as easy to hold onto. Also, the unfinished versions are nice too.
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Thanks for showing me V picks unintentionally! But if I have 9s as the G B and E strings, would it break them? I've been playing for 8 years now and I have only ever broken a string on an acoustic, and I didn't really want to start. I use fender extra heavy picks already and sometimes Dunlop jazz 3s currently.
Quote by kurt_cobain9
Because I pick so hard that thicker picks tend to throw my strings out of tune when I strum. That's how hard I pick. That's why I prefer a lighter pick. I practically punch my guitar, I was in a cast when I first learned to play and it's something that stuck with me.

I'll check them out. Thanks.

That's not a picking problem, that's an equipment problem. You shouldn't be able to throw your guitar out of tune unless you're breaking things/causing physical damage with your picking, and if that's the case you have much greater problems than we can solve here.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
The biggest breakthrough for me was shortening my strap so my wrist was straighter.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Arby911
That's not a picking problem, that's an equipment problem. You shouldn't be able to throw your guitar out of tune unless you're breaking things/causing physical damage with your picking, and if that's the case you have much greater problems than we can solve here.

No, it's not, it's natural. You mean to tell me you've never heard the E string go out of tune on "Helter Skelter" from being picked so hard? It's natural. And it happens to every guitar. so yes, it's a picking problem. I hit my strings so hard that it's logical for me to use smaller gauges of picks. where as you, you probably play with a thick pick and play percussively but not picking hard enough to receive the result I get with, say, a 1mm pick.

Every musician picks up his or her traits. I have mine.

The strings aren't physically going out of tune. that's not a gear problem. the vibration from such an impact is making the note go sharp or flat or both. and if i pick to your definition of normal, the notes are just fine, just like i tuned them. it's in vibration, not the gear. you can do a test on a tuner.

Quote by Cathbard
The biggest breakthrough for me was shortening my strap so my wrist was straighter.

I have also done this. That doesn't exactly help me hold a pick with little to no bone structure left in my thumb. that's why I need a thick grip with the end being the size I'm familiar with.