I want to be able to hear my guitar without any other band members or people in the audience hearing what I am doing....(while I look for chords or notes...etc)

Then switch over to the amp/pa/loud speaker so everyone can hear.

I want to somehow attach an earpiece (something like the picture attached), that I can use to accomplish this.

Someone also mention that I might be able to use an A/B switchbox?

Has anyone done this?
Attachments:
$(KGrHqJ,!k4E67PMiMgvBO1oYnPgPw~~60_12.JPG
You could run the 2nd output of an A/B box to something like a Pocket POD, and then have headphones on. Depending on what gear you're using, how your live setup is mic'ed up and how much the sound guy likes you, there might be other options.

OK, I gotta ask. Why?
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. "You want to do what with which on the what now?"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
This may sound mean, but just learn the songs before you get on stage and you won't have to do any of this...
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ken styles
I want to be able to hear my guitar without any other band members or people in the audience hearing what I am doing....(while I look for chords or notes...etc)

What?

How'll you look for chords or notes in the middle of a song?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
OK, just read through your post again. If your idea is to practice on-stage, that is a terrible, terrible idea. Your audience will hate you. Unless you're in an improv karaoke band, practice beforehand and know your songs.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Unless you're using professional in ear monitors, you're not going to be able to hear shit out of a little earphone.

Besides the obvious fact that what you want to do is terrible. Turrible.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Why are you going onstage if you can't play your songs? Because of people like TS there are bands like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giRb50JKook
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Ok, let me clarify a little.

First, I've only been playing guitar for about 2 years.

I use the "humming technique" where I hum the note that fits over the entire song to myself and then find that key.

My dad is a pastor of a Pentecostal church.
What happens is there is a set of rehearsed songs that we all know and play. However, it's not like a Catholic church where everything is very structured.

In this type of church you can get up and dance, shout, sing ..etc at your own free will...(or as the holy spirit "puts on your heart to do")
It can be annoying at times and I wish it would not happens...but it does.

There are some times where someone in the church will pick up the mic and start singing a RANDOM song that the musicians have never rehearsed or even played before. (might be an older person picking up the mic and they will sing an old song).

So the musicians job is to back the singer up with the music for that song.

Most the songs are easy with a 1,4,5 chord progression or a 6, 2, 5, 1 chord progression

my job is the figure out the key of the song...then the chords.

Some more experience musicians can do this in their head....but I can't yet.

I want to be able to do this without anyone hearing me pecking around for notes or without bothering the other musicians also trying to find the key.
Last edited by ken styles at May 23, 2013,
Wow I can't believe you actually have a reasonable reason to want to do that... But you do. Well done.

I think the simplest set-up will be an A/B switcher with one side going to the PA and the other to something like a Vox Amplug running to an ear bud in your ear.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Wow I can't believe you actually have a reasonable reason to want to do that... But you do. Well done.

I think the simplest set-up will be a baseball bat to whack those annoying people in the melon with...as the spirit moves you, of course....

FTFY!!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by NakedInTheRain
buy a tele and use it what it was designed for. clubbing people over the head with.

I think I might do that. I currently have a PRS SE and they seem to have weak necks.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
buy a tele and use it what it was designed for. clubbing people over the head with.

It works for Keith Richards.
(He actually clubbed some guy who ran up on stage when I saw them back in the 80's).
Quote by CodeMonk
It works for Keith Richards.
(He actually clubbed some guy who ran up on stage when I saw them back in the 80's).

yeah, i heard about that, shortly after john lennon was murdered?
Quote by NakedInTheRain
yeah, i heard about that, shortly after john lennon was murdered?

Not long after that.
It was at the Los Angeles Coliseum.
J. Geils, George Thorogood, and Prince were the opening acts.
that's the one. i was watching a rolling stones doco a while back. it said that some guy rushed the stage and they were all on edge because of the murder, so keith just unslung his tele and belted him.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
that's the one. i was watching a rolling stones doco a while back. it said that some guy rushed the stage and they were all on edge because of the murder, so keith just unslung his tele and belted him.

Yup.
I bought 6 tickets for $25 each, and sold the extras to my friends for $30, so I got in for free
It was during Satisfaction I think (VH1 did a top 100 songs countdown and that was #1, they showed that happening).
Prince got boo'ed off stage when he sung a song where one of the lines (said numerous times) was "I'll jack you off". Not a popular line.
Last edited by CodeMonk at May 23, 2013,
I don't think it's a big deal to "practice" a little when you're playing in a church, these people didn't pay to come see you, you're doing it for your faith.

The AB switch with a pod is the best idea, or, any other small tiny amplification device. The original pod can be found for next to nothing on ebay.
Quote by 6505fiz
I don't think it's a big deal to "practice" a little when you're playing in a church, these people didn't pay to come see you, you're doing it for your faith.

The AB switch with a pod is the best idea, or, any other small tiny amplification device. The original pod can be found for next to nothing on ebay.

Band at our church is completely professional and have actually put out a few albums. They are TIGHT!

Lead guitarist plays an Alpine white LP through a damn nice pedalboard and absolutely knows how to use it. Bassist has a Fender J Bass, two of the singers play acoustic, one a Martin, the other a Takamine, I don't know shit about drums but the drum kit is massive...(and the drummer is one of the finest fingerpicking guitar players I've ever seen...)

Everything is mic'd through a professional board run by some very good sound folks and it's also web-televised live.

Having to 'figure it out' under these circumstances would be totally unacceptable.

Not all church bands are the same...shouldn't generalize...
Charles Darwin
When I'm jamming I just slide up either the E or A string until I hit the right key. It only takes a fraction of a second to find the key really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Arby911
Band at our church is completely professional and have actually put out a few albums. They are TIGHT!

Lead guitarist plays an Alpine white LP through a damn nice pedalboard and absolutely knows how to use it. Bassist has a Fender J Bass, two of the singers play acoustic, one a Martin, the other a Takamine, I don't know shit about drums but the drum kit is massive...(and the drummer is one of the finest fingerpicking guitar players I've ever seen...)

Everything is mic'd through a professional board run by some very good sound folks and it's also web-televised live.

Having to 'figure it out' under these circumstances would be totally unacceptable.

I assume your church doesn't have random people sitting in with the band playing whatever they wan, either. Very strange situation to have to be in as a musician, especially when most church bands I've seen seem to be pretty rigid and practiced, with limited improv.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Arby911

'Merica!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by mmolteratx
I assume your church doesn't have random people sitting in with the band playing whatever they wan, either. Very strange situation to have to be in as a musician, especially when most church bands I've seen seem to be pretty rigid and practiced, with limited improv.

Quote by tubetime86
'Merica!

Agree with both!

My comment was to 6505fiz, not the TS (whom I sympathize with..as noted by my repurposing of one of the comments... ).
Charles Darwin
Quote by Cathbard
When I'm jamming I just slide up either the E or A string until I hit the right key. It only takes a fraction of a second to find the key really.

+1
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Cathbard

that is true...I end up doing that alot.

Just thought there was a cleaner way
Doh, Re. Mi, Fa, So, La, Ti, Doh, Learn your scales and modes and learn how chords relate to scales and PRACTICE then when you're ready to get up in a performance situation you won't need all this BS.....
Quote by Talon64
Doh, Re. Mi, Fa, So, La, Ti, Doh, Learn your scales and modes and learn how chords relate to scales and PRACTICE then when you're ready to get up in a performance situation you won't need all this BS.....

This doesn't work in TS's situation because he has to be able to recognize the key. He would need perfect pitch (or at least a really good pitch memory) to be able to immediately tell the notes somebody is playing/singing. TS knows what kind of chord progressions he needs to use, he just wants to figure out the key. But I would also do what Cathbard does (that's what I always do when I need to find the key).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I have a better idea, let the band leader/ worship director just tell the band A or E or whatever and force the impromtu singer to get in key with the band instead