I am having trouble counting the part in this measure that has a question mark on it.
I counted the first beat as you can see with the "up" meaning that half the beat is completed. The problem I am having is how to count and feel the triplet. I think it would be easier if the last 32nd note on the second beat was not there and the triplet started right after...but I want to know how to count it anyways.

If the triplet was played over 4 straight 32nd notes it would be very easy to count like I said but it is starting on a in between what would normally be four 32nd notes...so how do you count it?

I am thinking of the 4 beats in the measure in terms of all 32nd notes by the way to find where each down beat falls.
Attachments:
count 2.png
Last edited by Unreal T at May 23, 2013,
why are you using 32nd notes? this'd probably be a lot easier for you if you were to break it down to sixteenths and div up the measures.

though you'll end up with 17/16 or something ludicrous like that

i'd just look at it as 1-2-3-4, te-2-3-4, 2-2-3-4-5, te-la-li with the te displaced a sixteenth

either way it doesn't sound good TS, idk if it's that it's boringly running up and down the e minor scale or the convoluted counting but it doesn't flow well to me at all
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
hmmm well the triplet is displaced ahead a bit of where it should naturally be. The only thing I can think of is practicing counting 3 even notes over four 32nd notes. this seems very bizarre or I am making more complicated than it is.
Is this something you've composed or something that was transcribed?

I think a solution is to re-bar everything as 16ths and 8ths so the beat isn't obscured (unless you're writing 32nds because of a ridiculously slow tempo). Then put that odd beat within the triplet instead of right before it. That way, your triplet is two 16ths and two 8ths, and it will land on an actual beat.
Last edited by cdgraves at May 23, 2013,
If that's a really fast part, I don't think it matters where that triplet is located because it will sound almost the same as the 32nd notes. But if that's a really slow part, do what everybody else here have suggested: Write it in 16ths or 8ths depending on how slow the tempo is.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115